Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Razorback

Lightbulb LJ Rock Beds, Adult ADD & PB Conflicts

Hadn't been on the water in a couple weeks due to non stop baseball coaching - gotta love Spring Youth Ball - but when in blazes is a guy to fish... Had the morning off as my son's game wasn't until 2:00. I wanted to make the most of my return to paradise.

Headed out around 06:00 W/ TMAN and Sick Nick. Saw Mad Brad blazing off to parts unknown. Hope he has a better tale to spin than myself.

Cool and foggy morning with a steady NorthWest wind had me wishing for a heavier jacket. Paddled straight out along the easterly canyon edge in search of squidly meter marks and marked nothing. Made a piece of Spanish and one Greeenie at grey light in haste. My buds hung back to load up - but I always get antsy to be on my "spot of the day" and lose patience quickly as my ADD kicks in, esp. when it comes to plucking bait. SO, I jam out due west to 120' and meter what was either youthful bottom kelp, bottom critters or wayward bait . As my greenie bounced off the bottom I continually drop the sabiki down to sample what lies on the bumpy bottom. Managed to find a variety of baby rock fish including vermillions, sculpin, trees and white fish. All sent back down except for one micro sculpin that became a frustrating breakfast for a gull.

As the current rips downhill - I spin around to make my way back North and notice shoals of bait being pushed up off Boomers area. Mostly TopSmelt and Sardines. As I near a pack of fellow yakheads preparing to throw iron into a boil in the midst of bait shoals - a PBer blast his skiff right on top of the boil with out any hint of awareness of the water he just blazed in to. What insued from there was kin to a WWW verbal wrestling match that certainly would have came to blows if the guy in the yellow kayak and the obtuse PBer were able to walk on water.

Message to neophyte private boaters:

The Kayak Nation would like to educate you as to a few unwritten rules of engagement on the water.
Be aware of your surroundings. You''ll not only avoid running over a fellow angler in a much smaller craft - but probably catch more fish as a by product of simply being alert. In other words - Watch the water and the boaters in vicinty. Might also save you a black eye back at dock.

Message to enraged kayaker:

Consider calming yourself down prior to blowing up in this dudes grill before you start dropping the full concert string of "F" Bombs. Rightfully so - you should be pissed off as this paticular boater had no clue how to handle himself as a prudent sportsman on the water - BUT - A better approach that might help your kayak brothers out - would be to try and educate this morron with an explanation of WTF he was doing wrong rather than threating him with his life. I myself would rather see the guys in skiffs and power boats willing to work around and with the plastic navy - than be alienated by them because of thug tactics. Do us all a favor and pratice some anger management - after all it's only fishing.

Razor Out

Last edited by Razorback; 03-11-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
kenishere

bravo, keen advice.
rolling in the surf is a speciality enjoyed more by the onlookers
kenishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
wildcat
Amature

PB'ers

I gotta say that this stuff happens everywhere..Being a PB'er myself I see this all the time on the outer banks with boats that have no idea what is going on, falling asleep at the wheel (literally), running over kelp, and just being completely unware of their surroundings..Can you educate these boaters or get them to see their faults??? Does a black eye get them there faster?? I wanna say yes, but then I would rather just not being that type of moronic thinking altogether...In my boat I can gun it and get away from those idiots but unfortunately LJ is a different story..Whatever the case, someday these types will get it, one way or the other..

Tight lines,

Jim
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Razorback

Concur Jim -

I've been the receipient of a kelp paddy fly by on several occasions - as I'm sure you and the majority of the PB fleet has too.

Typically a radio contact can with some pearls of wisdom can avoid future offenses. But yesterday this scene was getting real ugly with jig sticks locked and loaded. I'm all for a good brawl - but on a level playing field.

My memo was a lobby for diplomacy over assault - and no I'm not a bleeding heart liberal from Sacramento.lol

Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
fishin steve

Razorback,
where does your son play ball?
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Razorback

Hey Steve -

I've got 2 boys at Cajon de Oro Little League. The oldest also plays on the Silver Sluggers 13U Travel Ball Club. Just finished up a game against the Piranhas.

Lotta ball around our house - but it sums up in July - just in time for Tuna season to fire up...

Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
kayak jack

Good luck to the boys, and their teams.I coached little league, and it can take away from fishing time, but they grow up so fast that before you know it they will hopefully be taking you to the baseball games, and maybe even fishing.
kayak jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
fishin steve

Very true, My wife always reminds me of that fact. In fact I can't believe my son will be going off to college in just over one year. Shit I was just coaching him in little league. He's only 16 but at the end of next year he'll be gone. Do you think he'll call at least once a day to tell me everything is oklol I'm going to have a tough time with that.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
Aguayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin steve View Post
Do you think he'll call at least once a day to tell me everything is oklol I'm going to have a tough time with that.
If you raised him right, then no, and you can take solace in that.
Aguayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
fishin steve

We'll thats a different way to look at it. He's a very good kid. DAMIT
Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
PaHaSaPa

The oceans are full of boaters with no respect for others. Just watch the happenings at Dana Point sometime.
PaHaSaPa is offline   Reply With Quote