Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Catalina lobster trip 11/9/2021. Long w/pic.

It was time to visit Catalina Island for some hoop netting and perhaps a shot at the bonito fishing. There were reports of them being
caught and their size making the fight enjoyable.

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

I got on the 6:00 AM boat out of Long Beach and was on the island by 7:15 AM. I setup my “camp” at my usual corner by the flag pole.

1-Since it was a weekday, I had the pier to myself for most of the time.

I set up one rod with my to-go rig for bonito. Launcher with homemade tube fly about 6 feet behind it.

2-At times there was no wind which made the casting easier and made the lure go farther.

3-Calm condition made it perfect to see the top water action as bonito attacks the lure.

According to a local the bonito were big and showed up around 3:00 PM. Therefore, I also setup a rod with float and one with bait.

Made many casts for bonito, and then took turn with bait fishing. I used peas and made a chum bucket. The float rig was used with peas.
A conventional reel with clicker with shrimp as bait was going to be used for sheephead or other fish.

The catch with bait was a couple of halfmoon and small calico bass. Comparing to the last trip, the fishing was very slow. Did not see
any Opaleye, or the micro bass and other fish that hang around the mole.

4-The landing float in front of the green pier was gone. Thus, providing more railing space for fishing.

5-Compare to the summer months, the harbor was empty of boats.

6-The kelp is back. It is a double edge sword. The kelp attracts fish and also causes anglers to lose them and their rigs/lures.

7-I was using shrimp with miracles thread. The fish would steal it without one clicker of the reel in free spool go off!

8-I finally hooked one 13” calico bass with the shrimp.

Side note:
Often during my trips to Catalina, something unusual happens. This time was one of the more unusual ones.

Sometime in the morning I noticed two ladies fishing further south from me. I noticed they had problem getting stuck and not really
catching anything.

Later, I noticed they came and sat next to the planter, where passengers line up to get on the Catalina Express. I figured they are
waiting to get on their boat. However, I saw them fishing from the railing and casting toward the harbor.
After a while I suddenly saw them coming toward me and asked me if they could keep the fish one of them was holding.
An 18” or so male sheephead. Wow. After confirming the fish was legal to keep. I asked them how did they catch it.
They showed me the bait. An inch-long Berkley sand worm with a cheap trout combo.

Are you kidding me? Here I am with the best bait using the proper rod and reel and I all get is lost bait without a sound from the clicker.
To add to their luck, the daughter showed me a Penn combo set up that she had snagged at the green pier earlier in the day.

How lucky can one person be? I immediately suggested to go and buy lottery tickets.

9-The mother had hooked an 18” sheephead. Notice the combo rod she is holding. Even a bell was still on it!

10-Her daughter went on the rocks to land the sheephead.

11-The daughter earlier had snagged this Penn combo at the Green Pleasure pier.

Earlier in the day it was overcast, but soon the sun would be out and if no wind, it would be hot.
A typical Avalon weather of different conditions throughout the day.

12-At times the wind would pick up and make the casting more difficult.

13-This crew of Catalina Flyer had time to get in some fishing. Not a bad benefit of working on a boat.

I wonder if they get paid while waiting at the island?

I continued my fishing with casting and bait fishing.
At 2:58 PM precisely, the bonito showed up in numbers. Many a boils everywhere. The trouble was when my fly was close to the pier,
the boils were happening. Then when I had made a cast and my fly was where the boil was, no action. Very frustrating at the least.

Then I got lucky. At 4:30 PM, I hooked a good size fish and it got off after peeling some drag. Not too many cast later I hooked and
landed a nice bonito. Shortly after that, there was another nice size bonito, which was landed.

14-A couple of 22” bonito that I caught within 10 minutes of each other.

As it got dark, I packed to go to the green pier for lobster netting.

15-This guy was keeping me company while I was packing.

I relocated to the green pier for lobster hooping, since catching lobster is no longer allowed at the Mole.
It has been my experience that after the opener night when the locals catch all the lobsters, there are not much chance of catching
lobster at the pier. The addition of bright LED lamps has not helped the situation either.

However, by staying up all night at the pier (with some cat naps), I can fish for two days and not pay the exuberant rates at the hotels.

I caught one short lobster that was released. Also a small horn shark was in the net. Also released.
This time I had more clothing and with warmer weather I was not as cold while sitting and waiting for the timer to go off in between pulls.

One motivation I had that kept me looking toward the sunrise, was the enjoyment of plenty of coffee with steak and eggs at the Jacks restaurant. The old timer music is also what I enjoy there.
So When they finally opened up at 7:00 AM, I was the first one to be seated.

16-I like this place for the food, atmosphere and music. Pictures circa 2016.

Wednesday, November 10,2021

Around 8:00 AM, I was at the Mole witnessing three anglers casting for bonito. One of them I knew and although had forgotten, I was expecting him. It was our member here, Mr. Fish ninja. I will let him make his report.
He had come to fish and also to have a discussion about a possibility of joining me on my next ice fishing trip to Utah.

I only fished for bonito and after countless cast, I did not hook up.

Well, today Mahigeer had the bonito blues. Some old timers here, know what that is about. Even though for the first time in long time
I was casting in the middle of the boils I was not getting hits. The last time that happened it was bass that were boiling, not bonito.
I could not see the fish, so I could not say.
We could see in the far distance the birds were hitting the water. We could see the water splashing (boils). The commotion was coming toward the pier as time went on.

At one point the school of bait fish would come to the pier and the predatory fish was splashing. I would cast right in the middle of the school, but no takers.

However, fish ninja and his imported lures, was slaying the bonito. Other two anglers were occasionally catching one too.

But not me. I even changed to blue and white Megabait, but no takers.

17-Fish ninja is fighting a big fish. Could it possibly be a yellowtail?

18-I asked him to move his mask, so I can record the stress on his face.

Instead he is laughing.

He may post about his fights.

At 5:00 PM, I started packing for the 7:45 PM boat after Fish ninja had left.

19-I like to be the first one in line. Thus, I pack and get in line before others. Then I relax and watch the other passengers.

The bed felt so good and I slept the most of the next day. I gave one bonito to my neighbor, who had asked for one, and will use the
other one as lobster bait in the future.

THE END.

P.S. Next trip to Avalon, December 10th as an overnighter.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 11-13-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

A picture is worth a thousand words.

A shame there is not an easy way to bring a kayak over there. I love Catalina. Thanks for sharing your report.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
A shame there is not an easy way to bring a kayak over there. I love Catalina. Thanks for sharing your report.
Glad you liked it.

Actually I was able to take my inflatable Hobie kayak there in the past.

The issue is to set up and take down of inflatable is such time consuming that one must stay in a hotel over night.

That way, a lot of fishing time will be possible.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote