Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Mission Bay, Dec 08

I got on the water about 8am to a very high tide. The main reason I went to Mission today was to visit the OEX store to look at tandem kayaks. I had to wander around awhile and ask a paddle board guy where they were located because I wasn't paying attention when Amish Ed pointed and said, 'that's the OEX store over there". So I trolled my little crawfish deep diver and caught a bunch of shorts, also had a few bites on a swim bait but they weren't grabbing the hook, more shorts I think. Anyway, I finally found OEX and met Brent, he showed me what they had and quoted some excellent prices to me. Now I need to take the wife down and see how they paddle. When we were finished Brent pointed out a good area for fish so I trolled over to that spot and sure enough picked up a couple of more bass. All in all a good day on the water. Off about 1pm and home by 3pm. Next trip I'm heading to the mouth of the bay to look for some halibut.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

Which tandem do you think you're likely to pick after seeing them all?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Which tandem do you think you're likely to pick after seeing them all?
I wish I could say I know but I didn't even get the date on this report right, I probably shouldn't make any decisions. I like the Ocean Kayak but it doesn't even come with seats. The Pescador has basic seats but is a wider yak. I like the Ocean though because it is set up to go tandem or single paddler. I'll take the missus down with me and we'll paddle them both to see which fits our needs better. The Jackson has the best seats but is real wide and almost three times as much. Of course, it appears to be much better set up also. With the other two I have to add everything. The nice thing about OEX is I think the guy said if I buy the accessories from them they install them for nothing. One thing I didn't like is neither of the two lower priced kayaks can have a rudder installed, but I'm not sure why.
Oh, and the date should have read Dec 09, today
Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report Harry. Go for the OK, then you have your tandem and single.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
fishthebreak
Junior

Hey Harry, Thanks for the report! We need to get out in the water together again some day!
fishthebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
mbsurf
Junior

OK Malibu

I'm sure the Jackson is amazing, but I have paddled the OK Malibu XL solo and with children for several years. I think it is amazing. And before I picked a Prowler this summer, I took it out in LJ several times and it's fine. I ran into an OK rep paddling one there too one day, and we both agreed it is great. I can stand on it easily in fresh water. No complaints about the tracking without rudder, acceptable in my book.
mbsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsurf View Post
I'm sure the Jackson is amazing, but I have paddled the OK Malibu XL solo and with children for several years. I think it is amazing. And before I picked a Prowler this summer, I took it out in LJ several times and it's fine. I ran into an OK rep paddling one there too one day, and we both agreed it is great. I can stand on it easily in fresh water. No complaints about the tracking without rudder, acceptable in my book.
thanks for the input on the Malibu, I've decided that is probably my best bet. I can put my wife in the front seat and unless she turns around it will be just like riding the bicycle built for two, she'll never know if I'm paddling or not.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Malibu II, or II XL?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Malibu II, or II XL?
I think it is the 11XL but I have to call back and make sure, I know he said they don't carry the Angler anymore because they couldn't sell them.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
stoned-trout

I wouldn't buy a kayak without being able to have a rudder,drop skeg...you don't appreciate them till its windy and your trollin
stoned-trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Malibu II, or II XL?
okay, so the kayak they were showing me is the Malibu tandem, not the Ocean Kayak Malibu 11xl. I'm thinking they are pretty comparable but I could use some input from those who have owned them. The Malibu doesn't come with seats so when you start adding seats and hatches and the like it starts running the price up quite a bit.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
okay, so the kayak they were showing me is the Malibu tandem, not the Ocean Kayak Malibu 11xl. I'm thinking they are pretty comparable but I could use some input from those who have owned them. The Malibu doesn't come with seats so when you start adding seats and hatches and the like it starts running the price up quite a bit.
Not coming with seats is kinda of the norm with kayaks not outfitted with framed seats. I might be able to provide you with a little GoPro footage so you can see for yourself how the Pro 2 Tandem tracks and such.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Harry, the main difference between the Malibu II and the II xl is the weight capacity. Go to the ocean kayak website and compare them i'm sure there's more to it than that.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Harry, the main difference between the Malibu II and the II xl is the weight capacity. Go to the ocean kayak website and compare them i'm sure there's more to it than that.
Ed, I keep going back and forth between the two websites, the Malibu actually carries more weight and it lighter but that might be because the Ocean Kayak comes with seats. I like the Malibu though and can outfit it the way I like and still end up with less money out the door. They both are set up to paddle as a tandem or single, I have to add hatches and the like.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Not coming with seats is kinda of the norm with kayaks not outfitted with framed seats. I might be able to provide you with a little GoPro footage so you can see for yourself how the Pro 2 Tandem tracks and such.
Dave, if you have the video I would like to see it.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Paddle both kayaks as singles and as tandems and go from there. Test them in as snotty of conditions as you can too.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Harry Hill

Quote:
Paddle both kayaks as singles and as tandems and go from there. Test them in as snotty of conditions as you can too.
Looks like I have to make the choice, or it will be weeks before I can get the wife down there. OEX is giving me a great deal on the Malibu so I'll go that route and hope it's a good choice.

I forgot to mention a couple of the fish I caught on Wednesday were Calicos, that was a surprise
Old 12-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
thanks for the input on the Malibu, I've decided that is probably my best bet. I can put my wife in the front seat and unless she turns around it will be just like riding the bicycle built for two, she'll never know if I'm paddling or not.
I'll tell you what is happening here, Harry. It's not your fault, but when having a tandem discussion one has to be cautious about how the word "Malibu" is used. Ocean Kayak manufactures the Malibu II and Malibu II XL. Malibu Kayaks manufactures the "Pro 2 Tandem". Initially I assumed that you were looking at the OK Malibu Series (especially after referencing the Angler model), but a couple posts later it seems you MIGHT also be referencing the Malibu Kayaks P2T?

Who's on first? =)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I'll tell you what is happening here, Harry. It's not your fault, but when having a tandem discussion one has to be cautious about how the word "Malibu" is used. Ocean Kayak manufactures the Malibu II and Malibu II XL. Malibu Kayaks manufactures the "Pro 2 Tandem". Initially I assumed that you were looking at the OK Malibu Series (especially after referencing the Angler model), but a couple posts later it seems you MIGHT also be referencing the Malibu Kayaks P2T?

Who's on first? =)
Happens to me a lot. Especially if people think "ocean kayak" as a type rather than a brand.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
Harry Hill

Quote:

Who's on first? =)
I was confused, it isn't easy when you don't know there is a difference, Ocean Kayaks Malibu, or Malibu Kayaks. If I can't make myself clear how can anyone else understand what I'm asking? Then I ask a sales guy about the angler while looking at the Malibu and he's telling me they don't sell the angler any more because people want to do their own set ups, when what he should have said is they don't sell the Ocean Kayaks Malibu 11 xl angler at all. I just hope I make the right choice with the Malibu Pro 2 tandem.