Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Caseym

La Jolla/South Tourmaline for Halibut ?????

Does anyone have any experience fishing and more importantly launching from somewhere near mission beach. I'm looking at a fishing chart and there appears to be tons of artificial reefs, rock piles, a ship etc all right off the crystal pier and mission beach area. Really want to try for halibut and of cours YT out there, but don't know where to launch. I see Tourmaline St. as a Kayak Area, but want more info....if u know clue me in!!! Thanks!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
mclanea

If it's flat you might be able to sneak out through the surf?

I see smaller boats in the entrance channel, you could always launch at Aqua Adventures and then make the long paddle out and around?

I go surf fishing a bit in OB. There just doesn't seem to be many opportunities. I wonder if you could launch at dog beach then get over to the jetty and walk your yak around past the waves?
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Does anyone have any experience fishing and more importantly launching from somewhere near mission beach. I'm looking at a fishing chart and there appears to be tons of artificial reefs, rock piles, a ship etc all right off the crystal pier and mission beach area. Really want to try for halibut and of cours YT out there, but don't know where to launch. I see Tourmaline St. as a Kayak Area, but want more info....if u know clue me in!!! Thanks!

I've launched at Dana landing quite a few times to fish all the areas you just spoke of plus more. There is a huge kelp southwest from the end of OB pier. It's a little bit of a paddle. But if the surf is up, you can still get out plus hit the barge for sardines. Have caught yellowtail there. Lots of halibut in the area as well.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
taggermike

It depends on surf conditions and your surf launch confidence. But you can launch at tourmaline street. Or you used to any way. I'll say that its not ideal and and an absolute PITA in the summer. some times. Launching early is easy but Landing later through a pack of grump surfers on the out side, kids on buggie boards on the in side, then finally the crowd frolicking in waist to knee deep water is no fun. Getting across the crowded beach sucks and you might get a lecture from the life guards. This a worst case scenario. And launching there puts you just minutes from where you want to be. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
mbsurf
Junior

Tourmaline

I used to surf Tourmaline all the time, and I have launched my yak there a couple of times. The good news is that in the summer, south swells do not break on the north end. This is where you would likely be launching, as the surf lineup will be denser right in front of the lot. When there is surf on the north end's reefs, a low tide is better for you. The inside can be deadly on a higher tide. The north end fills in with sand on the summer, but is surprisingly rocky with difficult footing north of the lot in winter. Full disclosure: I have flipped my yak there, but on the right day in the summer I think you'd find it to be no big deal. You have the lifeguard's driveway ramp to bring the yak down, no rocks.
mbsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Caseym

This is all great info, much appreciated. I saw that "Dog Beach" area just inside the harbor, seems like it wouldnt be too far of a paddle, at least comparing it to the normal La Jolla Shores routine to go outside when the YT's are biting the Yo Yo. Just wondering, always looking fir a "new" less popular thing to do, try or pioneer
Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
GregAndrew

You can launch at the park at the South end of Mission Beach on the bay side. Check the tides to find outgoing when you launch and incoming when you land or slack either way. Don't use the middle of the channel and expect wakes though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
Caseym

Thanks Greg. If youre ever heading that way and want co. Give me a shout, id like to learn from the master.
Casey
Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Batmann

I have often wondered why folks don't load up on bait at the barge in Mission Bay and head out through the channel more often.

I took a few minutes and plotted the reef points as listed by DFG on a map. The distance from launch to the end of the channel is just under 3 miles. The distance from the end of the channel to the two furthest points are 1.13 miles to the El Rey and 1.2 miles to the NOSC tower.

Has anyone fished these locations by kayak?

I am also curious about any good locations south of the channel entrance. I have heard that there is some good fishing in the vicinity of the Ocean Beach pier as well as at the start of the kelp line south of the pier.

I know LJ gets a lot of attention but I am curious why this area is not mentioned more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mission bay.jpg (56.9 KB, 145 views)
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
bmercury

Why is the launch point on your map san juan cove? just launch from mariner's basin or dana landing instead.

that mission bay channel can be crazy. I have never flipped or anything but a surf launch and landing with less than ideal conditions is less nerve wracking for me. With that being said I would still try it again someday.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 AM   #11
Necron 99

When I first started kayaking I launched from pescadero beach in OB. Just a small plot of sand at the bottom of some stairs, lots of rocks, and in the afternoon after fishing all day, big waves and lots of surfers. Since I learned a little more about kayaking, I haven't been back there.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
monstahfish

Seems to me if you're going to launch in the bay the south end of mariners makes the most sense. There's a bit of a walk with your cart but then it's easy.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Batmann

I agree a launch a mariners basin probably makes more sense and is a much shorter round trip.

I'm curious about your thoughts once you exit the channel and the general fishing conditions in the area?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I've Launched at Dana Marina, loaded up on bait and paddled out the bay channel, while the weekends this is not a good idea, during the week when the swell isn't too bad the bay channel isn't bad at all. I fished down to the OB pier and back, with several small butts and one nice keeper butt and a few very aggressive sandies. The biggest halibut I've caught was in the channel on the way back in thought. I need to get out there again! Dana is the way to go though if your planning on a long paddle, might as well get as close as you can. Tight Lines!!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
I've Launched at Dana Marina, loaded up on bait and paddled out the bay channel, while the weekends this is not a good idea, during the week when the swell isn't too bad the bay channel isn't bad at all. I fished down to the OB pier and back, with several small butts and one nice keeper butt and a few very aggressive sandies. The biggest halibut I've caught was in the channel on the way back in thought. I need to get out there again! Dana is the way to go though if your planning on a long paddle, might as well get as close as you can. Tight Lines!!!
Bernie,

What is the main difference between the swells on weekdays and weekends? It's it the increased boat traffic through the channel?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
MrPatrick

Boats make the channel really choppy. You get reflected waves every which way.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmann View Post
I have often wondered why folks don't load up on bait at the barge in Mission Bay and head out through the channel more often.

I took a few minutes and plotted the reef points as listed by DFG on a map. The distance from launch to the end of the channel is just under 3 miles. The distance from the end of the channel to the two furthest points are 1.13 miles to the El Rey and 1.2 miles to the NOSC tower.

Has anyone fished these locations by kayak?

I am also curious about any good locations south of the channel entrance. I have heard that there is some good fishing in the vicinity of the Ocean Beach pier as well as at the start of the kelp line south of the pier.

I know LJ gets a lot of attention but I am curious why this area is not mentioned more.

Read my first post on the thread. I fish this often area often if the surfs up at LJ. Awesome fishing South of the channel. Usually I end up fishing pretty far south of OB pier. Have caught Yellowtail in that area on numerous occasions. Took a friend kayak fishing for his first time and hooked him into his first Yellowtail (boat or kayak) and it was landed. Close to 25lbs. Have drifted very close to Point Loma after launching from dana landing. If you ever fish this area Just be sure to look up once in a while to get your bearing. The south current on a strong day will push you from the channel down towards PL in no time.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

La Jolla/South Tourmaline for Halibut ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmann View Post
Bernie,

What is the main difference between the swells on weekdays and weekends? It's it the increased boat traffic through the channel?

Pick you days and choose your conditions. Ride the Tide and you will be fine. Meaning if you are launching at 6AM make sure the Tide is going down and coming back up when you come back through the channel.

Honestly I've fished this area frequently and have never seen the channel bad enough to not want to go through it. Once you are in open waters, its good to go. Don't let people scare you.

Last edited by YakDout; 06-04-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #19
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Im down to go whenever if u need a fishing buddy!
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #20
kauaiboy04

i've pondered the same question, usually as i'm surffishing the beaches. one day I just asked the lifeguard if I could launch from the beach (since I've never seen anyone do it), he said its fine, but to watch the swimmers.

I've plotted all those AR's and sunken ships, and have driven over/by/past them on boats when heading to LJ. They're fishy areas but be ready to lose lots of gear!

as far as going out from the channel, definitely doable, just watchout for the boats. lots of folks speed in and out with no regard for others. head north for the ships and ARs, and head south to OB pier or the PL kelp beds.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote