Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
slammah
Junior

Mirage Drive Compatibility for Older Hobies

Hi everyone,

I recently lost my drive attempting a beach launch out of Carlsbad (thanks everyone who helped me try to find it/replace it). I have an older hobie mirage sport (2006) and I thought other mirage drives will be able to fit. Unfortunately, none of the newer drives I've tried fit and the drive hole in the kayak is barely too small to get the connecting nubs (don't know what they're called) to fall flush into the hole.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is my only option to look for a very old mirage drive from 2006 and before? I thought my old drive was a standard mirage v2 but I wasn't able to get one to fit either.

Thanks for reading.
slammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
TJones

What about shaving down the alignment pins?

It should fit. Ask Andy at OEX sunset beach. Good luck. He has drives in stock if needed.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
slammah
Junior

Funny you mentioned Andy. I just went to see him yesterday and got outfitted with a new drive that fits after he shaved the nubs off with a saw! Weird it worked that time since I tried the same thing with another drive. Thanks everyone who messaged me or replied
here's a link to the fix if anyone's curious. Shows how to shave off the nubs to get the drive to fit.. https://media.hobie.com/item_attachm...137.1582154132
slammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Always glad when it all works out!