Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
mbsurf
Junior

Baby's first halibut

Adding to the list, my son nabbed his first halibut this morning. He was pretty excited, as you'd expect. Couple bass and mackerel in there as well, it was totally glassy all the way to high tide at noon.

This trip was to test out the seat that I made for him this week to replace the stock OK seat. I was having a hard time dropping $100plus for a seat like mine, and had been toying with the idea of creating/ modifying an elevated frame seat for myself as I had seen people do on Hobie Outback. A la Jackson kayak... Not sure if it would work well for the paddler, but my son doesn't paddle...so I took a stadium seat and built a PVC frame for it to sit on. It can be clipped on to the frame facing forward or back. Or you can fold the seat back down and be able to pivot around easily. Worked great, and I didn't notice any stability issues at all. He can now see down into the water much better, and of course he's way more comfortable. It's so much easier and more fun to fish with a child this way.
mbsurf is offline   Reply With Quote