Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
james92026

lifetime Tamarack Pro vs Perception Pescador Pro

Howdy, back again after a very long hiatus. Actually I had forgotten I joined in 2019 and have looked at only a couple of other sites, but am getting the "itch" again. I had a mishap several years ago when I flipped in open ocean off shore of Camp Pendleton. Anyway, I digress.....

Looking to get back in the fray, have looked at a few different boats, but currently am comparing these two. Lifetime has made improvements in their line as far as seats, better foot braces, and Perception seems a bit better. Price limits my options. I had considered BKC, but not too keen after seeing reviews. I would be using a kayak mostly for fishing and probably in bays and estuaries, but who knows might venture BTB once my confidence (and lots of practice) is restored. I am also a bit deficient in cash presently, otherwise would look at used for much better boat. I think under $900 is do-able with paypal credit promotional six or twelve month zero interest.

I apologize for my absence, but would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

TIA, James

Oh, BTW, I just read through all my past threads, I did not realize I had posted that much and since 2011. Not sure How or why I got away from y'all...there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Last edited by james92026; 10-12-2021 at 06:26 AM.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Welcome back to the forum. I flipped once out in 250ft and had a major yard sale, so you have my sympathy for your past misfortune. I have no idea about the models you are considering, but good luck with your decision.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
james92026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Welcome back to the forum. I flipped once out in 250ft and had a major yard sale, so you have my sympathy for your past misfortune. I have no idea about the models you are considering, but good luck with your decision.
if you are curious, there are several posts in my content about my ordeal. See "Impromptu Ocean Swim" It happened just offshore Oceanside California.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
PapaDave

Got Rolled...

I recently had an experience I wouldn't have thought would ever happen off Doheny beach. Had a huge wave come in over a reef, was pretty far away from it and the waves were breaking a good distance out from where I was and weren't that big. That wave rolled over the reef and kept building. Tried to get through it but it flipped the PA17, which promptly filled with water but still floated. Was about 1/4 mile from shore so I swam the kayak back in. Lost all the fishing gear, camera, radio and when I hit the surf, snapped off the Bixby drive shaft, the 180 drive, lost the other drive somewhere, and bent the frame of one of the seats. I'm still finding gravel and sand in the kayak.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I recently had an experience I wouldn't have thought would ever happen off Doheny beach. Had a huge wave come in over a reef, was pretty far away from it and the waves were breaking a good distance out from where I was and weren't that big. That wave rolled over the reef and kept building. Tried to get through it but it flipped the PA17, which promptly filled with water but still floated. Was about 1/4 mile from shore so I swam the kayak back in. Lost all the fishing gear, camera, radio and when I hit the surf, snapped off the Bixby drive shaft, the 180 drive, lost the other drive somewhere, and bent the frame of one of the seats. I'm still finding gravel and sand in the kayak.
Sorry to hear that. Do you think you could've flipped it back over with the rope tied to the hrail technique that many of the PA owners employ?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
plenty of questions, but better talked about over a good meal! did you post about it?
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Reply to Op

There was a couple of members with Ocean Kayak trident 13s or similarly designed kayaks (wilderness systems thresher 140, jackson kraken) for sale within your price range. IMO that's going to be your best best bet for a capable kayak in both open water and estuaries. Might try doing some digging through the classified section.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92026 View Post
if you are curious, there are several posts in my content about my ordeal. See "Impromptu Ocean Swim" It happened just offshore Oceanside California.
I read it in the archives. Not too bad, you had most of your gear secured and thankfully a boat was nearby to pull you out fairly quickly. I bet you have since familiarized yourself with best boarding practices.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote