Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
whitedog

Any info on two harbors will help.

Going soon never fished the area crap I hope we still can. F ing mlpa anyway camping five days will I have to hobie it for miles or is it good all over. Like I said any info will help.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
JoeBeck

Stoked, a week out at Catalina nice! You can fish the Isthmus High Spot right outside the campground between Ship Rock and Bird rock, you should also fish both of those rocks. I usually have a live bait out and then fish off the bottom for calicos, a lot of calicos out there.

If you paddle to the right I like to fish the Rock Query and Yellowtail point. Beautiful place to fish that is usually pretty active. Great calico fishing in shallower waters. Try a little deeper for the bigger game fish 80-120ft. Usually the water is pretty clear so you can ofter see the fish swimming around. This is the case for most of the inshore fishing out there.

If you paddle left out of the cove towards the west end go all the way down to the farthest point you can see, Arrowhead point. Good fishing there. If you feel up to a longer paddle you can go past the point and fish by Parsons Landing which is worth checking out, you may want to paddle your kayak and camp there one day or during a future trip. Usually I luck out and paddle as far as I can in the morning then the winds pick up and I can drift back, of course I guess the depends on which way the winds are blowing . Somewhere off of Lions Head point there is a reef too. It is marked with some buoys and you will often see dive boats there.

Also if you have wheels you can walk your kayak about a 1/2 mile to the backside and try your luck there.

Fish it like you do S. Cal..... livebait, swimbaits and plastics, irons and all that fun stuff.

getting a map is also very helpful.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
warrior

How do you get there

How do you get there with your yak? Start paddling today, get there next week .

Really, if you don't mind can you give some specifics i.e. travel, camping, etc? I still have about 4 weeks of vacation time and that sounds fun.

Thanks
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
JoeBeck

Figured you already had it booked. Marina Del Rey Flyer is the only boat I know that will take a kayak out there.

You can camp at two harbors, very nice, they have a shower and a store and the rangers will take all your stuff on truck to your site. Probably a good option if you are spending a full week out there. You can download a map of the campground from the catalina site to pick a spot.

Or you can camp at Little Harbor on the backside. Kayak there and have the rangers take all your camping stuff to the site. They also deliver wood and water plus have bathrooms.

Parsons Landing the rangers will not take your stuff but you can load it on a kayak and paddle it there. The rangers will bring you wood and water and there is a bathroom.

Or you can do backpacking style on a kayak at these remote camps. You have to bring your own water, no bathrooms you will need to use wag bags to pack it out at least the trash portion and some don't allow fires unless in a metal container such as a BBQ.

• Willow Cove (1 site)
  • Long Point Beach (2 sites) - Heard bad things, full of toilet paper from some assholes who did not pack there shit out
  • Italian Gardens (3 separate locations: Italian Gardens A, 2 sites (I would book them both not much room to share); Italian Gardens B, 1 site; and Italian Gardens C, 1 site) - I stayed in C, not a great site. If you book both spots in A you have a whole beach to yourself.
  • Goat Harbor (3 sites) - Never been
  • Cabrillo (4 sites) - Never been
  • Gibraltar (2 sites) - Never been
  • Lava Wall Beach (2 sites) - great spot book both
  • Paradise (1 site) - great spot
  • Rippers (3 sites) - great spot
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
warrior

Whitedog probably did book

Warrior was just wondering about the details.

Thanks JoeBeck
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
whitedog

Thanks guys I am booked and soon to be hooked will post pic when all is done
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
NextBite

talked to the "ICEMAN"
if I remember he did a trip to two harbors
Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
steveooo

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...hlight=harbors
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
cajunman

Andy,
going over sunday for two days at Little harbor, did any of happen to grab the GPS #'s for LH?
tks
rich
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote