Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

CCA Social Coastal Tournament 4/24

Had a fun day of fishing today in spite of the ocean and weather conditions...
CCA CAL had their first of two Coastal Social Tournaments today...
Kayak anglers were on the TourneyX app and the boaters had a live fish weigh in at 22nd Street Landing...It was so nice not being the tourney director and instead of all the headaches, I got to fish the tourney...and ended up winning.
...and getting a bonus personal best local rockfish @ 7.5lbs...Real beautiful Chunky Vermillion for a local fish....
The Hookup Bait double rig was what they wanted to eat and finding the stacked up marks was the key to success...
The top three finishers in the boat division went all the way to San Clemente Island...there were some nice 6 to 8 pound Calico Bass that a few guys brought back...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
matthew7!

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Congrats on the chunky red! Double rig, huh? May have to try that out one of these days. You da man Jim!!
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Awesome catch. He looked even bigger in person

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Congrats on placing and also catching such a beautiful Rock Fish!
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
DanaYakAngler

DOUBLE RIG

How did you rig the double rig? Ive seen a few different ways. HUB tutorial video uses a 3 way swivel.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Double Hookup Baits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaYakAngler View Post
How did you rig the double rig? Ive seen a few different ways. HUB tutorial video uses a 3 way swivel.
IMHO...
That Owner 3-way swivel that they sell on the Hookup Bait website is the real key to the success of this double rig...The "old school" 3-way swivel just doesn't have the rigidity of the Owner 3-way which seems to help keep the lines away from each other...
I tie two leaders on the 3-way...the short one is about 10" to 12" long and the second longer one is about 20" to 24" long. The action on the two baits as they drop just drives the Bass crazy...
That Mermaids Milk "hot sauce" that Chad sells is a definite bonus when using those tube baits that were just made for adding scent to...
Good Luck
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
DanaYakAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
IMHO...
That Owner 3-way swivel that they sell on the Hookup Bait website is the real key to the success of this double rig...The "old school" 3-way swivel just doesn't have the rigidity of the Owner 3-way which seems to help keep the lines away from each other...
I tie two leaders on the 3-way...the short one is about 10" to 12" long and the second longer one is about 20" to 24" long. The action on the two baits as they drop just drives the Bass crazy...
That Mermaids Milk "hot sauce" that Chad sells is a definite bonus when using those tube baits that were just made for adding scent to...
Good Luck

Cool, thanks for the reply! I've also seen guys use a keeper bead on the main line and a barrel swivel for the shorter line if i remember correctly. Was just thinking about trying the double rig and then I read your post.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
Saba Slayer

Double Hookup Baits...

Here's another cool double shot...

"I've also seen guys use a keeper bead on the main line and a barrel swivel for the shorter line if i remember correctly"
I've heard of that rigging called a Donkey Rig...
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Here's another cool double shot...

"I've also seen guys use a keeper bead on the main line and a barrel swivel for the shorter line if i remember correctly"
I've heard of that rigging called a Donkey Rig...
Dingaling.

Congrats on the win, that's a hefty red.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #11
blitzburgh

Hell yeah Jim! Nice work Sir
Old 04-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

Thanks Sarge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Hell yeah Jim! Nice work Sir
Thanks Sarge...LOL
I Used the new OKUMA Komodo reel that I won in the tourney yesterday and the first fish on it was a 24" Halibut...
Not big... but big enough for dinner...LOL
Nice reel...and a Lucky one too...
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #13
kayakfisherman

Hope that halibut got frozen for 7 days to ensure no parasites.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
Saba Slayer

Cooked

That Halibut was cooked in olive oil after being stuffed with Basil and wrapped in Procutto...so none of it was eaten raw/sushimi...Yummy...!
Thanks for the reminder Yani...
I'll see you soon down at Doheny for a "local's" Halibut lesson

Old 05-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #15
LEEZO

Hi Jim- off topic question.

Do you pull that PA out of the water up onto the dock or do you bring it in on a standard launch ramp?
If you do pull it out of the water onto a dock any tips?

Thanks and congrats on your catch.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #16
Saba Slayer

PA launching...

"Do you pull that PA out of the water up onto the dock or do you bring it in on a standard launch ramp?
If you do pull it out of the water onto a dock any tips?"

LEEZO...I primarily launch that beast from docks...Even at launch ramps, I'd rather roll down onto the dock and slide her in from up there rather than try and get the wheels out on the concrete and then slide and scratch the bottom to get her to the water...
Once on the dock I just roll the big girl on her side and slip the wheels out... then either slide her in, back first, if the Bixpy is already mounted in back, or bow first when I don't have the motor mounted back there...
I can roll the PA on it's side to add or remove the wheel with rods mounted in the tubes and the Bixpy batteries strapped under the seat and everything ready to go...even my spill proof coffee cup is in the seat back holder...LOL
When I return to the dock...I make sure the bait tank is empty and I remove the weight of the front kill bag full of ice and fish...then I just grab the front handle do a little downward push on the bow into the water and as she bounces back up I use that little bit of added upward momentum to pull her up on the dock...then a little rocking motion and the rest of the big girl slides right on up...
Then I use the same procedure to wheel up...just remove anything loose then roll her over on her side and insert the wheels and off you go...!

Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #17
LEEZO

Quote:
"Do you pull that PA out of the water up onto the dock or do you bring it in on a standard launch ramp?
If you do pull it out of the water onto a dock any tips?"

LEEZO...I primarily launch that beast from docks...Even at launch ramps, I'd rather roll down onto the dock and slide her in from up there rather than try and get the wheels out on the concrete and then slide and scratch the bottom to get her to the water...
Once on the dock I just roll the big girl on her side and slip the wheels out... then either slide her in, back first, if the Bixpy is already mounted in back, or bow first when I don't have the motor mounted back there...
I can roll the PA on it's side to add or remove the wheel with rods mounted in the tubes and the Bixpy batteries strapped under the seat and everything ready to go...even my spill proof coffee cup is in the seat back holder...LOL
When I return to the dock...I make sure the bait tank is empty and I remove the weight of the front kill bag full of ice and fish...then I just grab the front handle do a little downward push on the bow into the water and as she bounces back up I use that little bit of added upward momentum to pull her up on the dock...then a little rocking motion and the rest of the big girl slides right on up...
Then I use the same procedure to wheel up...just remove anything loose then roll her over on her side and insert the wheels and off you go...!
Thank you Jim! Great info, much appreciated.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote