Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Endlers

New Kayak Owner

I am the proud new owner of a 10 ft Bali Journey Kayak,

I Should have it some time next month as it was just ordered today. I am a kayak Virgin. Never in my life have i been in one. SO this should be interesting to say the least.

I am looking for a few people i can exchange numbers with who might be able to show me the ropes of kayaking when mine does arrive. I am also looking for new kayaking buddies to fish with once i do receive mine.

I live in San Diego and would love to meet new fishing buddies.. Maybe someone who has a spare yak they can let my try out for a day or show me how to paddle or .. something you know? Watching videos, im hooked.

So far Purchased.

1. 44" to 60" Telescoping Roof Rack Cargo Cross Bars 150 lb. Capacity 1 $44.99 $44.99

2. Sun Dolphin Journey 10' Sit-On Fishing Kayak, Olive 1 $298.99 $298.99

3. HawkEye Portable Fish Finder 1 $59.96 $59.96
Ready for pickup starting Mon., Apr 7
Email delivery
Item Qty Price Total
2 Year Replacement Plan for Marine Electronics and Motors $40 - $59.99 1 $6.50 $6.50

4. Stearns PFD 2001 Adult Nylon Life Vest; Size: Universal 1 $24.47 $24.47
Endlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I am in San Diego as well and can show you what I do know, which isn't much. The bay should start heating up. Sounds like you have a good start. Pm me and we can exchange #'s
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
buddha

With that setup it would be good for the bay and lakes.

I fish chula vista often and mostly on sundays.

PM me and if the conditions are good you can get on to a bonefish down there and be hooked forever.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Schmalzy88

Cool

hey man, i'm pretty new to the craft myself but i would love to get together and slay some beasts. my knowledge is limited but growing fast through experience and research. im in the long beach area but perhaps we can meet in the middle somewhere. i would be happy to pass on some of the information i have acquired and gain a new fishing buddy. I fish a Lifetime Tamarack 120 (not of the highest quality but gets the job done) and working on outfitting it for beastmode. you may get some crap for not buying the Cadillac of kayaks (much as i have) but the way i see it, its a stepping stone to bigger and badder things without bankrupting you. my best advise, that has helped me substantially, is to watch as many videos on fishing methods as you can as well at the various rigs and baits available to you. oh and get out with some of these pros on here because they know their sh!t. feel free to PM me for my number and lets get this crackin!
Schmalzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmalzy88 View Post
hey man, i'm pretty new to the craft myself but i would love to get together and slay some beasts. my knowledge is limited but growing fast through experience and research. im in the long beach area but perhaps we can meet in the middle somewhere. i would be happy to pass on some of the information i have acquired and gain a new fishing buddy. I fish a Lifetime Tamarack 120 (not of the highest quality but gets the job done) and working on outfitting it for beastmode. you may get some crap for not buying the Cadillac of kayaks (much as i have) but the way i see it, its a stepping stone to bigger and badder things without bankrupting you. my best advise, that has helped me substantially, is to watch as many videos on fishing methods as you can as well at the various rigs and baits available to you. oh and get out with some of these pros on here because they know their sh!t. feel free to PM me for my number and lets get this crackin!
x2 Schmalzy88. After all my bells and whistles on my PA12, my bank account looks much different, but I figured why not. If I don't spoil myself, who will? Different strokes for different folks. As long as you are on the water, that's what matters!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Schmalzy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
x2 Schmalzy88. After all my bells and whistles on my PA12, my bank account looks much different, but I figured why not. If I don't spoil myself, who will? Different strokes for different folks. As long as you are on the water, that's what matters!
word! dont get me wrong though, i freakin drool over some of the strait up works of art you guys fish with!
Schmalzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Endlers

I did a bit of research and with my budget of 700$ this was my best option. I Think since its canoe / yak hybrid .... 10 ft long and me being 5'8 this will be perfect size for me to turn and have speed. Also i think it will be perfect for bay fishing which was my goal from the start...... You u know untill is aw the yellowtail videos.. Ill probably drown trying that .. but one day i will try that in my little 10

SO who has an extra yak they want to take me out on.

Last edited by Endlers; 03-25-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I'd be willing to take you out, can't say you'd be upset paddling my spare Tarpon. Might be upset to go from it to your ride though in terms of speed or big water capability. You should look into the RFD, going to be tons of people out on the water.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Endlers

lancaster ... thats a bit far from me. lol

Last edited by Endlers; 03-25-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I wouldn't take you out where I am, I fish the same areas you do.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Endlers

sent you a PM wild
Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Endlers

Bump.. shamlessly I am still looking for new fishing buddies!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I don't want to be accussed of giving anyone shit but I will give a bit of advice for next time since the damage had already been done. with a 700 dollar budget you could have put an ad on this site and gotten a fully rigged Ocean Kayak that would serve your purpose in any fishing condition. you will be extremely Limited in what conditions you will be able to fish in. There has been some talk about the benefits of buying new over buying used on this site. But I have had great luck purchasing secondhand kayaks and equipment from the good people of BWE. I say take your yak out, get it wet get some fish on the deck, but see into selling that and looking for a good yak over 12 feet longand read a lot of reviews and pick the brains of guys on this site for what will serve your purpose. With all that said I'd be happy to go out in fish the harbors or some fresh water with you, but would be hesitant to take you out into the open ocean if conditions picked up out there. Welcome to the site and have fun

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Endlers

The problem is i had a credit card to purchase with not cash and a walmart credit card at that so i was limited to what i could buy at walmart. :/ My yak should be here some time next week my target species are bass from lake or river and halibut and bass from the bay or harbor
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

[WantwTErs;188020]The problem is i had a credit card to purchase with not cash and a walmart credit card at that so i was limited to what i could buy at walmart. :/ My yak should be here some time next week my target species are bass from lake or river and halibut and bass from the bay or harbor[/QUOTE]

I understand completely bud. It's all about getting on the water no matter how we do it.you would laugh if you saw the first thing I owned fishing The harbour in. just know that you just signed on for a huge addiction and this won't be your last kayak. Somebody just quoted in another post "nobody ever buys their last kayak" you will make friends and learn a lot from this site and when its time to purchase your upgrade you will have a little knowledge and hopefully a little budget to get what you want.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote