Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
cabojohn
PROBATION

I was gonna fish fer bass inside the harbor...but now I think I am gonna go big fish, and just follow the "hard hat" around all day in search of big uns.

Last edited by cabojohn; 07-30-2008 at 11:58 AM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
Cucamonga Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I was worried about my average wsb getting beat by dpliska's bigass 'but. So any way to get dp OUT of the equation, I'm for it.
Pliska says he's going to put up $40 and plans to enter and win BOTH jackpots. Pretty ambitious of him but I wouldn't say he can't do it either.

CK
Cucamonga Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucamonga Keith View Post
Pliska says he's going to put up $40 and plans to enter and win BOTH jackpots. Pretty ambitious of him but I wouldn't say he can't do it either.

CK
We're talking WSB only bet, QUALITY meat, I'm tired of eating butt meat and don't like being called a "butt muncher".....I don't like making little fish fillet fingers out of bass either.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
Zed
BANNED

So that means $20 more for the side bet for dp. I'm sure he has a tourney fund he can dip into.

Pretty long odds there, grego. I feel I've got a better chance to out 'but pliska than catch a seabass. Maybe I'll just follow Cabo.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #25
Cucamonga Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
I'm tired of eating butt meat and don't like being called a "butt muncher"

Sure, you say that now, but if you do catch a good 'but, you know you're gonna munch it! lol

CK
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #26
cabojohn
PROBATION

bump
Old 07-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
Cucamonga Keith

Speed bump
Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #28
Iceman
Administrator

Is the bait barge now charging $10 and how has the bait been?....I'll probably try and make my own, but am curious.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #29
Cucamonga Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Is the bait barge now charging $10 and how has the bait been?....I'll probably try and make my own, but am curious.
Andy,

The bait barge raised prices to help cover rising fuel costs. Kayak scoops are now $10 but the bait is consistently good sized and well cured. They tend to give you a lot of bait compared to kayak scoops I've gotten from other bait barges. Currently they have 5-7" Sardines.

I fished the point early yesterday. Launched around 4:00. It got a little windy at dawn but layed down nicely by 6:00. Water was 71 and clear blue.

It was a bit tough making bait early but I got 3 oversized spanish. I was wishing I had picked up some sardines on my way out. Started trolling north along the kelp line with a 1/2oz barrel to keep it in the water. Zinged real good at around 6:30, waited a 5 count and pulled that big spaniard right out of it's mouth
Kept working the same area and an hour later zzzz...ZZZZZZing again. Waited a 10 count, the rod loaded up and it made a strong short run into the kelp. I had 40# spectra on and started sawing through but lost it before I could cut my way out. There were some balls of sardines around after dawn but couldn't manage them on the only sabiki I had with me.

10:00am - Paddled back to the bait barge and picked up some Dines. Did a quick pass for 'buts off the river mouth at Doho and then the usual spots around the harbor before landing. Got lots of shorts and 3 just legals but no big girls. Targeting flat ones early at the tide turn probably would be a different story.

Keith
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #30
Zed
BANNED

What a coincidence, the massive balls of bait off DP are...5"-7" 'dines, with smelt and small jackmacks and bigass green macks. Bigger jackmacks are in the kelp.

And there is a LOT of bait out there. I was outside of CK for most of the morning in the midst of flopping 'dines and smelt. My live bait [greenmack] swam happily all morning, so I switched to a squid. Caught a browbait on squid so I put the brown back down. Nothing on the brown.

Got some sadbass on plastics (greens), 1 woulda been a contender at 23".
Handful of tomcod, and barracuda.

Talking to CK, I realized I maybe shoulda been closer to the kelp.

Rossman had a bigger hook-up out between the spars, but it spit the hook.

Later in the day the inshore water was turned and colder, but at launch it was warm all the way to the outside.

Just a heads-up: There is a significant S swell running right now. All you guys that like to fish Doho, keep your eyes on the horizon and don't get caught by those long-period swells.

CYA Sat,

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #31
cabojohn
PROBATION

bumpity bump
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #32
T-Rex

I'll be there and bring some type of side dish or dessert.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Cabo...There seems to be something wrong with the truck in your avatar.
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #34
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
Cabo...There seems to be something wrong with the truck in your avatar.
is this better?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #35
T-Rex

Much!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #36
Cucamonga Keith

To all,

We'll be there between 5:00 & 5:30am.
For entries after 7:00am please radio Cucamonga Keith on VHF channel 69. I'll meet up with you somewhere out on the water.

See you there,
CK
Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #37
Handymansd
Ancient Member

uhhhhh....... You would have to be gay to not like that!!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #38
Cucamonga Keith

Thanks to everyone who made it out to the BFD & BBQ to benefit the KFACA. I had a great time and seeing all the regulars (you know who you are) and some new faces too.

There were 29 kayak anglers total; 15 entered the Biggest Bass jackpot and 22 entered the Biggest Fish (exlcuding bass, sharks, rays and skates). There were also several people who antied up $40 to enter both Jackpots. Total entries came to $740.

Mike (Margarita Mike) Bohemke won the Bass Jackpot with a 4lb 1oz Sand Bass for $150.

Dave Pliska won the Big Fish Jackpot with a 5lb 4oz Halibut for $220. Dave graciously opted to donate 1/2 of his jackpot to the KFACA.

Together, we raised a total of $500 for the Kayak Fishing Association of California.

Thanks again for participationg and hope to see you all out on the water soon.

Best,

Keith Martin (aka; Cucamonga Keith)