Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Denis_Ruso

The sabiki - I have found that having a sabiki rod is a life saver. Use a heavy weight on the end = less tangles. But what takes it to another level on a kayak is shortening it and taking off 2 hooks. If you load up, managing 4 baits is way easier than 6.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
The sabiki - I have found that having a sabiki rod is a life saver. Use a heavy weight on the end = less tangles. But what takes it to another level on a kayak is shortening it and taking off 2 hooks. If you load up, managing 4 baits is way easier than 6.

If by Sabiki rod you mean the Ahi bait stick (hollow tube), I am 100% in agreement. I got it for pier fishing, but it is great for boat and kayaks.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I may try shortening it... my ahi is actually just short enough that the bulk pack of sabikis I have all have to be trimmed a couple of inches.

It’s less about in the water and more about on deck.... I usually pin the weight with my foot and pull taught... just without fail, one ends up in an inconvenient spot.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Ahh I see. I have a slightly different technique because I got tired of having bait unhook&disappear under my seat.

So using heavy lead keeps the line pretty straight, having only 4 hooks makes it more manageable. But what I also do is use a dehooker right over the bait tank to avoid bringing the whole rig into the kayak. Turn my body, put a foot in the water for balance and then pull the sabiki against the side of the kayak over the bait tank. IMO its a game changer because you get better bait this way- they spend less time out of the water and you also don't touch them on the way into the bait tank. So the slime coat stays on.

Just make sure that side you do this on is clear of anything hookable. Bungees, ropes etc.
I do loose a few while i'm unhooking though every time.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Huh... i’m going to have to give this a shot. I also might need to get a tiny de-hooker, as the one I use is way too big for the size of hooks I have.

My attitude has always been to get the string of fish over the boat as quickly as possible, before they start falling off the hooks (tiny hooks with minimal barbs)
That said, I’ve never had a shortage of Spanish in the kelp... if anything I’ll probably end up with too much in my tank, so I’ll give this a go.

I’ve noticed when I use a bigger one with no ahi stick, they stay on much better, but I have had to cut entire hooks off and deal with them later when they catch on anything.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote