Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
TCS

Livewell Switch Repair

My livewell quit working on the water yesterday, and I've confirmed it's not the battery, so probably the switch. I'm not real handy with wiring and electrical stuff, and would like to get back on the water. Fastlane isn't doing repairs this week, so I'm wondering if anyone else in SD does this and would have the parts. It's one of the last they made of the old model. Not V2.

Anybody got a lead for me? If not I'll try to get the part and do it myself.

Also, I think when my previous unit was repaired they coated the whole switch in epoxy or something so it wouldn't go down again. Can the V2 switch be put into the old livewell? I'd prefer not do go through this every year.

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Tom in a pinch you can just bypass the switch in the set up and just clip the 2 wires and connect em directly , then just connect battery when in use. The wires would need to be clipped any way and it will get you by.......I have done this more than once, once even when on the water. You really can't change to the new switch, but you can wire up a toggle instead of the live well plunger style
Old 03-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
TCS

Thanks Andy!

Based on what I'm seeing, do you think the switch is the most likely culprit?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

Over the years, I have replaced the switch in the hobie livewell three times.

Now, I just bypass it. At first it was annoying, but now its fine. Simply insert battery, but do not connect till after launching or right before making bait.

If you've tested the battery and its good, then most likely the switch, but I have replaced the pump as well.

Simply connect the pump straight to the battery and see if it works.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Newguyhere
Junior

See if there are any marine stores open. Like West Marine. I bought a replacement push pull switch at one up here in Temecula. One thing to check though that happened to me, my battery charger was bad and it was the last thing I replaced. If it doesn't light up when you plug it in the wall without the battery, your charger is bad.
Newguyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
TJones

until I switched over to new tank and switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Over the years, I have replaced the switch in the hobie livewell three times.

Now, I just bypass it. At first it was annoying, but now its fine. Simply insert battery, but do not connect till after launching or right before making bait.

If you've tested the battery and its good, then most likely the switch, but I have replaced the pump as well.

Simply connect the pump straight to the battery and see if it works.
I would immediately bypass the switch. too many know issues with the older switch. these things always occur at worst possible time, like when bait is super scarce in the middle of summer, you got one piece of what is now dying, and you are in the middle of wide open bite. tsunami 500 pump failures are very rare. bulletproof.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote