Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
mattL

Want to help a new guy find some LJ YT?

How's it going,

I am a little new to fishing in La Jolla and the wide spread has got me running all over the place. I haven't been having a whole lot of luck. At least it seems like I'm not alone in not landing any yellow tail.

Is there anyone who is familiar with the area that would want a shadow for a day? I'm planning on going out 7/4 around 6 am. Is anyone going to be there that has had some luck with yellowtail lately? I have all my own gear, bait tank, and a GPS. I'm just looking to narrow down where to go. I know the canyon starts about a mile out, but that's about it. I just installed the gps yesterday, so I'm hoping that will help to put me on top of it. I'm open to any pointers you guys can give me. Thanks in advance for your help and happy fishing.
mattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
TheBoyScout

Canyon starts 100 yards off the launch. I'll give you a spot, troll around the NW corner. The YT are everywhere, getting out there and know what hot spots are going on at this time of the year. If you would have gone out recently you would know where to go since everyone is kinda huddled together...time on the water is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
tamddo714

Do some research. There's plenty of tips and advice on the forum and web. Just need to spend some time read and research like most of us. And start by postin in the correct section.

tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
mattL

Thanks man
mattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Dee84cali

Before u go wondering of lj canyon check out navionics shit gets DEEP!

Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
TJones

Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
Do some research. There's plenty of tips and advice on the forum and web. Just need to spend some time read and research like most of us. And start by postin in the correct section.

Lol.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
NICKWORN

ASSHATS

Quote:

And you will always run into a couple of these guys on this site.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
And you will always run into a couple of these guys on this site.
Why is he an "asshat" for telling the OP the correct thing to do? Use the search function for general questions that have a million answers on the board already. Doesn't seem like you are offering up any helpful advice.

OP Matt... go to La Jolla, catch mackerel, troll in 80-100' of water, repeat as many times as necessary. Don't fish in the reserve. Give people space and don't crowd them, especially if they are hooked up.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Why is he an "asshat" for telling the OP the correct thing to do? Use the search function for general questions that have a million answers on the board already. Doesn't seem like you are offering up any helpful advice.

OP Matt... go to La Jolla, catch mackerel, troll in 80-100' of water, repeat as many times as necessary. Don't fish in the reserve. Give people space and don't crowd them, especially if they are hooked up.
He could of handle it in a better way, came off kinda dickish to me! The guys obviously brand new to the site, cut him some slack.

"go to La Jolla, catch mackerel, troll in 80-100' of water, repeat as many times as necessary"

Perfect response!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
sharonkayak

Is really catching a yt the point? I thought we all go out for the solitude and peace of mind, I am not saying this to pick on anyone in particular. But learning online is way less fun than learning on your own. Then when you get the fish the accomplishment is way larger.

Plus how do you know the advice your getting is from someone with knowledge or just someone who likes to post and show off there catch like there a pro when it was probable wide open.

just saying....time on the water not online is way better.
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

How did he post in the wrong section?

This isnt a fishing report...
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
tamddo714

Want to help a new guy find some LJ YT?

I did not mean to be a dick. But these questions can easily be found by doing a quick search. It seems like people just want to be spoon fed information. Takes the fun out of fishing in my opinion. I like to do homework and getting on the water is the real test.

Here's a tip: go out on a Saturday and just follow the herd.

Last edited by tamddo714; 07-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
tamddo714

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
How did he post in the wrong section?

This isnt a fishing report...

The post was moved. If you go to the fishing report section you'll see it's still there
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #14
HobieOneCanoebe

I agree with nickworn on this one bwe is a forum for people to post freely if you don't like it or think it's a dumb question don't waste your time commenting on it just let it be brotha.
I, and I'm assuming many other people joined bwe to find out stuff that isn't common knowledge online, personal experiences, tips from the pros, and to meet some more people to paddle out with.
If someone doesn't know about the search bar or isn't getting the results they want lets try to help them out in a respectful way I mean we were all beginners at one point.
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
tamddo714

Sure

Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
taggermike

I think Chris nailed. Trolled live makeral take the most yt in LJ.

I'll add keep you head moving and looking for birds, bait, n boils. And it doesn't need to be a huge foamer. A few nervous baits or 1 tern circling can reveal fish.

And there is loads of great info in the archives.

Lastly. You might not know, but you're asking for people to distill and share info n details they my may have acquired from decades of fishing LJ. Studying n asking question is a great way to learn. As is fishing with more experienced anglers. But there is no substitute for time on the water.

I've been yak fishing LJ for 17 years and I'm constantly learning new things and honing what I already now. And I strike out frequently. OK, most of the time. Learning is fun. And not catching can beba good teacher.

Fish with others, but mostly Get out there n expend your skills n comfort level. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
HobieOneCanoebe

taggermike

dang taggermike thats a lot of years just curious how was the crowd back then? non-existent?
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
taggermike

Not many human powered craft in LJ then. I started on a big paddle board. Don't know if rotomolded SOT existed at that time. Got a cobra fish n dive 17 years ago and never stopped. West coast, east coast, baja, fresh water. Its all good. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
pingpangdang

YT fishing is like dating...you can get all the advice in the world but it does you no good if you don't apply it out in town. No matter how handsome you think you are if you don't apply yourself you can't expect any hookups. You have to go out there knowing and facing possible rejection many times....but statistically you will eventually hookup if you keep charging....learning and adapting. Everyone has their bad days and nights. There will also be days when everyone around you is hooking up while you go home empty handed...again...there is nothing wrong with you your time will come just keep pressing on and don't give up. And when you do start hooking up with some fat YT you will soon crave something else...maybe something more petite like a calico or something with more junk in the trunk or something more wild and wreckless on your lap to get your pulse boiling like a big halibut. Don't be too picky just go out and fish enjoying all the hookups you might get that day...that little guaranteed rockfish might be surprisingly enjoyable leaving you satisfied for the love of fishing. Trying to go home with the perfect 10 all the time will leave you disappointed i.e. WSB. Some folks don't even target YT and catch them as bicatch...fish the bottom for halibut and you will catch everything on the spectrum and if you love fishing for what it is that is enjoyable...I still enjoy fishing for surf perch on the beach in a foot of water. Just fish...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
kirkdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
YT fishing is like dating...you can get all the advice in the world but it does you no good if you don't apply it out in town. No matter how handsome you think you are if you don't apply yourself you can't expect any hookups. You have to go out there knowing and facing possible rejection many times....but statistically you will eventually hookup if you keep charging....learning and adapting. Everyone has their bad days and nights. There will also be days when everyone around you is hooking up while you go home empty handed...again...there is nothing wrong with you your time will come just keep pressing on and don't give up. And when you do start hooking up with some fat YT you will soon crave something else...maybe something more petite like a calico or something with more junk in the trunk or something more wild and wreckless on your lap to get your pulse boiling like a big halibut. Don't be too picky just go out and fish enjoying all the hookups you might get that day...that little guaranteed rockfish might be surprisingly enjoyable leaving you satisfied for the love of fishing. Trying to go home with the perfect 10 all the time will leave you disappointed i.e. WSB. Some folks don't even target YT and catch them as bicatch...fish the bottom for halibut and you will catch everything on the spectrum and if you love fishing for what it is that is enjoyable...I still enjoy fishing for surf perch on the beach in a foot of water. Just fish...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Well said. I am still waiting for my first date with a YT or WSB, but I am having a great time catching sandies, rockfish and even mackerel are a hoot. Being on the sea is.......a deep peace in the soul.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote