Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
blazian

First report with lessons learned

Woke up yesterday and felt like fishing, checked beach cam and things looked awesome. So after wifey takes kid to preschool, I load everything up and head to La Jolla. 15 minutes later I'm stuck in the sand. ERRRRR!!! Been there a bunch of times with succesful beach launches but for some reason I slowed down to much. Waited for AAA and shortly was pulled back onto the pavement. So Lesson 1 don't slow down on the sand.
I was pretty pissed and wasnt sure If I wanted to still fish but since I was there mind as well give it a go. I loaded up my Hobie Outfitter with all the regular gear plus one extra, a Minn Kota motor trolling set up for the drivewell. Yeah I know I know lots of you don't like motors but I'm lazy and don't like pedaling my tandem for miles solo. The battery actually keeps the yak level, without a big weight in front my yak looks like its sinking with the bait tank loaded up.
Launch thru 1 ft waves, no drama there. Get out to calm water and plug in motor, it runs great and goes about 4+ mph according to my FF. So making the run out to the northwest corner and making bait along the way, all Spanish Macs except for one big ass 10 inch greenback. After making bait on the way to the corner I am suddenly in a big boil about 25-30ft wide but I am in the center of it with only my jig stick. errrrr tried a couple crappy throws but since im in center of it. nada What gear should I have had ready for this? Lesson 2?
Last lesson of the day. Once out to the corner, the New Seaforth and a couple other boats were there. Watched one skiff pull up a yellow and overheard a couple other divers talking about breazing yellows. I turn back to change out the spanish mac to my monster mac and lo and behold my fucking rod and reel are gone. WTF! I had put it on the stock rod holders and did not leash it. errrrrr! never thought i could lose a rod on a calm day. So if any of you know any spearos or divers let them know I lost a silver Aver Sx and a Avet rod as well.
After the loss I was done for the day so total fish count a dozen Spanish Macs that were sashimied and bones fried. At least wife was happy
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
jorluivil

sh*t happens.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I carry a shovel so in case I get stuck I can get out.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Cadiyak
Junior

As far as sand, deflating your tires down to 10psi increases their surface area and helps dramatically, just be sure to have something to inflate them with when you're done. Best deal is at Costco, nice little piston drive pumps.
Cadiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
FISH11

Like George said SH*T happens. A couple of new lessons learned. Every trip there, are new lessons learned, unfortunately some are expensive and other just just annoying. Tight Lines
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Lessons

I've got around $400 parked at the bottom of the Oside harbor! Second time in a yak, sculpin comes unhooked right between the mirage drive AND MY CROTCH all h-ll breaks loose and by the time I get things under control and start fishing again,,,,you can guess what. " hey where's my brand new pole and reel??" For two weekends I dragged the harbor with a salas 6x on 80 lb braid, never found it. I did dredge up two six volt batteries though, so I figured I helped clean the harbor and some lucky dude is going to score!! Ahhh, sometimes the hardest learned lessons are the best learned.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
fresh to salt

Been There, Done That

Im pretty sure we have all made mistakes out there... I did the same thing you did, however. After making bait I put a nice greenie and was sending it back when a little roller came up and slapped over the bow of the yak and somehow pushed my paddle down into the water. It then proceeded to use my outbacks paddle holder as a fulcrum and kick up the back end of the paddle right into my rod/reel sitting in the rear rod holder... Im still amazed how it all happened but the worst part about it was I was at my local hobie dealer in Temecula 3 hours before looking to pick up rod holder extensions, rod leashes, and a new pfd but decided against the rod leashes because they seemed overpriced compared to oceanside dive and yak... Needless to say I will never worry about overpaying by 5 bucks on something like this and risk losing $300 worth of gear over being cheap... Like I said, been there, done that. Just make sure everything is tied down and connected to the yak and get back out there. Its all you can do.
fresh to salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
EntropyFletch

I got stuck in the sand my first time there. Got lucky and 4 other fishermen pushed me out. Good times...
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

My second time out I lost a nice combo myself in SD bay. Looked back and it was gone. (Calcutta 400 TE and Carrotstick Gold). Needless to say, everything is now leashed. We all donate to Posidon in some way. Just paying dues. At least it's out the way now. Get up, dust yourself off, and go fishing. Now you have a reason to buy another combo. I saw you getting out there as I was coming it. You were MOVIN'!!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
theluckypig

i'd bet gregandrew will find it...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
yakrider

one time...at band camp...Oh...wait...that's another board...
one time...
I ventured out with my brand new...
never even made a cast or wet the line...
G-Loomis custom wrapped rod with brand spankin' shiney new Trinidad 14...
It was the one time I regret wearing my PFD...
no chance to swim down and get it...
I watched in disbelief as it SLOOOOWLY sank out of view...
it hurts...
still!

you are not alone!

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote