Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
ski

The other white meat

My original plan was to head N to look for a flat one, but bailed on that idea because of the wind. Bait was super easy at the can, so in no time I had plenty of candy bar spanish and one greenie. Pinned the greenie on and took him for a tour. I eventually sent him to the bottom in 108' where he got attacked by something with teeth. No raking, but nice punctures.
There were a couple of pelicans working the area and then I heard some "good noise" when i turned I could see some splashes. Fired the iron but no takers. Brad and Ken joined in on the hunt as well as a couple of others. It took a seasoned vet to prove that there was fish there. Nice fish, Brad 8)
I eventually decided to do some bottom fishing, so I headed North. I picked up some nice marks in 185', so I sent down the gulp shrimp and gulp squid. Caught a couple of reds. I set up for another drift and this time I sent down the megabait. A couple of cranks off the bottom and I nailed a 28" ling. Marked the spot for another day and continued North. At 245' I was marking alot of fish. Sent down the gulp and felt something heavy and pulling on the way up. I was hoping for another ling, but this time it was a nice 22 " bocaccio along with a nice red. Nailed a few more reds and headed for home.
Final count: 1 ling, 1 wormaccio and 6 reds.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Dennis

nice one's, mark... quite a variety.
-d
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Nice haul on the good eats!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Brad Wells
Junior

Thanks for showing me your spot today! I never could find that ling. I could only pull up short reds and a bunch of sand dabs. Nice to meet you and thanks again, Brad.
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
ski

Phatt, it was the first time that I used the gulp for rockies. I was using a basic rock cod rig with top and bottom hooks that were I think size 9/0 with a longish shank and a 6 oz. torpedo to get me down. I just threaded it on the hook kind of like you would a fish trap. You can see in the fhoto the baits that I used. I think they were 4" shrimp and a 5.5" squid. Also, that stuff really stays on the hook great. I used the same baits the whole day and also brought them back home with me. I put them in a baggie and then added some cod-liver oil to them so they will be giving off a nice slick for next week when I will re-use them. You can find the oil at Henrys or other health food stores. That gulp bait is da bomb!
If you find that you are catching small fish, move off the spot to locate the bg ones. They run in schools and chances are they hang with their own size. I had to move off the spot where I got the salmon grouper because it was the ethical thing to do. The limit on those is one. If you have a color ff you should have no problem finding the right stuff.
In my opinion, those rockfish when cooked to perfection are really excellent table fare.
Mark
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Johnp

Nice mix, the rockfish is at the top of my list taste wise.

Whats that funky lookin' lure bottom right?
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Kidd
I think that is a gulp shrimp!!
I think John is referring to the extreme lower right. Thats my big toe :lol:
I had to straddle over the fish for an overhead shot. My left foot was on the range, and my head was pressed against the ceiling :lol:
Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Johnp

Yeah, thats what i figured. Kinda had a chuckle envisioning someone standing on the sink to get that shot. :lol:
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote