Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Siebler

A Yellow Christmas, Come Early.

Launched into Small surf at 5:45 this morning and paddled out to the spot. Right after it got light we started metering some bait and got some macs on the iron. Then I proceeded to feel a light bump, then a harder bump. Brought it up to find a squid that something had bit onto but didn’t stick. Decided I should rig the squid up as he was alive so I got out the stuff to do it. About this time Austin hooks up on something Big. I hooked up squid and went over to help him clear the other rods. Sadly just before color however the hook popped.

Now I proceeded to drop that squid down in just over 100’ of water, Bout 75’ down it line starts Screaming off the reel. Set the hook and FISH ON! I’m off on my first YT sleigh ride. Soon after this starts Austin hooks up on the iron and from a distance I watch him land a WSB. My fish then pulls me into a lobster buoy in which I follow him around the rope several times before he gets stuck, Good thing Austin is paddling over because he’s at color and barley hooked! Austin pulls the rope up and gaffs my first Yak Tail! At this point I was stoked because I got the fish, but kind of sad I didn’t get to gaff it. I think Oh well and blow it off.

Next we paddle back to the spot and Austin tosses me a squid his WSB spit up. I get it to the bottom and start feeling light rockfish type taps then it sings again. Set the hook and IM ON AGAIN! This one defiantly is a WSB or suck as there are no headshakes. About 50’ into the ride POP! *^&# Forgot to retie that dropper loop! Hook broke off right at the knot but left the weight. Oh well, I still got one right? I can’t ask for more, can I?

So now Austin’s plugging’ away at his version of yo-yoing that he’s so good at. He soon gets picked up and is on! But I’m in the way! Oh crap he’s getting towed at me; Use that new Catalina’s 6.2:1 gear ratio and start cranking as fast as I can but OH SH*T I’m stuck on his line. Kind of have a clusterfuck going then I just back off and throw the reel in free spool until I’m damn near spooled. Throw it back in gear and WTF! IM GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION FROM HIM!

Now comes the part where I get worked HARD on my jig stick and towed for probably an hour. Anyways-long story short, I gaffed my 2nd yak tail and this time, I GAFFED IT.

Paddle back to Austin and he’s now landed 2 more fish so he’s got 2 yellows and a WSB in his lap and is complaining he has no more room on the yak and that we need to head in. I tell him I need 1 more to catch up and that the first fish hooked up can go in my yak since he had no room. So we both drop down and almost simultaneously we hook up, AGAIN! This time I use the fast gear ration and 40lb test to my advantage and crank the sucker up fast. Soon my largest Yellow pops the surface and is pulled into my now crowded kayak. Austin then lands his and throws it in my hatch (as he had no room on game clip) along with my first one. Now my yak is sinking and its time to head in, leaving the yellows biting.

Easy landing and a photo season on the beach.

PS if you don’t own a game clip, BUY ONE! When the time comes you’ll wish you had it. Sure glad I got mine in the mail this week, that’s for sure.

THIS IS HOW YOU BREAK IN A NEW KAYAK! and the 2 new rods/reels they were caught on

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
mars

Nice fucking job, gents.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Ryan The Sealion

c u 2moro...
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
austin

yellows

Getting bored with the yellows , think i will go catch spotties this weekend. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! see you all on the water.
austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Lit-up1

You $#@%

Nice morning. You guys got it going on :!:
Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
dmr

An incredible morning...congratulations guys!
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

EPIC!!! Nice going dudes.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Wow. Hell of a way to break in new gear. Nice going guys. Just wow! :shock:
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Ryan The Sealion

btw- don't post this on BD unless you guys wanna see 30 private boats there for the rest of the week...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
T-Rex

Congratulations! You guys really slayed em! :shock:
Way to totally bum-out us Monday to Friday cubicle drones!!!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Siebler

Hey ryan we posted only because we are not going to be able to make it the rets of the week, otherwise yall would be waiting until after we went again to see it.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
austin

yellows

Most (not all) of the power boaters out there couldnt catch there ass with both hands.
austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #13
Dean Machine

Nice job. Now all you need to ask from Santa is a fillet knife instead if a hatchet. I HATE you.
Sincerely,
The Grinch :twisted:

ps. Nice job
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #14
lamb

EPIC, for sure. Congrats guys. 8)
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #15
Ryan The Sealion

Re: yellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
Most (not all) of the power boaters out there couldnt catch there ass with both hands.
I hear ya....Some of those guys are just straight clowns and shouldn't be on the water...I want a bazooka for x-mas :twisted:
Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #16
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc
Hey ryan we posted only because we are not going to be able to make it the rets of the week, otherwise yall would be waiting until after we went again to see it.
yeah man I don't really post reports anymore period...not even of like golf course ponds at night :lol: the internet spreads info too fast...

On another note, I am really bitter right now..I planned on going to LJ this monday and last, but beer and friends messed up those plans...and it was WFO both mondays :cry:
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #17
Brett D.

"Austin pulls the rope up and gaffs my first Yak Tail! At this point I was stoked because I got the fish, but kind of sad I didn’t get to gaff it. I think Oh well and blow it off. "
Having a friend there to help you out is just as good as gaffing it yourself.
Austin, you gave me your last Yellowtail because your wife said you didn't have room in the freezer for more fish. Whats she saying now? Save some of that goodluck mojo for the open bay bass tourney.
P.S FU both! :twisted:
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #18
Siebler

Brett all 100+lbs of it is here at my house. First batch is hitting the smoker tommorow morning.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
Johnp

It,s going to be hard to go back to fishing spotties after that guy's. Nice job. Must be those new prowlers.
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #20
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc
yeah nice... this is the reason why regular posters and supporters of this forum question the flow of INFO only going ONE WAY ==>
i see lots of guys out there fishing, yet only the same people reporting..
lots of reading...no balls to post and share the info that's regularly available here..

thanks for honoring us with your fish report..
awesome catch either way..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote