Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #781
FISH11

Thumbs up

Great write up and installation, Bob. Looks great and should be awesome when the Yellows hook up, and you get to see them on the new FF screen. Thanks for sharing, it should help guys with their installation plans.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #782
NikitaMolot
Banned

thank you
NikitaMolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #783
2013outback
Junior

Some mods made to my newly acquired 2013 outback

Needed a cutting board and saw someone post on this thread a similiar idea, hope you don’t mind my take on it🤙🏽 Cheers. Have more mods coming up too will be posting soon as I start to learn to use this forum. I’m in Newport Beach and new to kayaking but if anyone is in the area shoot me a dm and let’s exchange numbers and meet up. Thanks guys, this forum is rad, glad stumbled upon it🤙🏽
2013outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #784
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereubinh View Post
Just recently upgraded my fish finder on my hobie and found out that the transducer did not fit into the hobie lowrance ready hull. I tried a couple of diy on youtube to add an extension to the provided adapter and tried to attach it to the existing lowrance ready cover but it cause the tranducer end to stick out of the back of the cover. When the cover was tighten down, it crushed the end of the transducer and I didn't think it was a good idea to keep it liek that. I Came up with a pretty solid solution to mount the transducer so that it fits completely in the transducer slot using my 3d modeling skills and a 3d printer. I put in a giant open to provide maximum water flow and to prevent sand from being trapped inside the cover. I was getting tired of having to flush all the sand out after every use as the sand builds up greatly and falls all over my car roof when transferring. If anyone needs something similar for their garmin transducer, lmk. I can help out. This diy could've came out really bad if I didn't have access to a CAD software or a 3d printer.
very cool solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013outback View Post
Needed a cutting board and saw someone post on this thread a similiar idea, hope you don’t mind my take on it🤙🏽 Cheers. Have more mods coming up too will be posting soon as I start to learn to use this forum. I’m in Newport Beach and new to kayaking but if anyone is in the area shoot me a dm and let’s exchange numbers and meet up. Thanks guys, this forum is rad, glad stumbled upon it🤙🏽
cool, does that render your hatch unusable?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #785
2013outback
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
very cool solution.

cool, does that render your hatch unusable?
The cutting board is strapped onto the lid of the hatch with shock cord. Knot on each end and therefore making the cutting board stay perfectly in place and also makes the hatch handle easily accessible . Just lift the cutting board with same hand and lift turn and open the hatch.

Tried to upload a picture and video but it’s not workIng
2013outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #786
JohnMckroidJr

Tuna Tubes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TunaTubes2.jpg (47.8 KB, 244 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #787
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Tuna Tubes
Cool, what are you fishing for out there that require baits that size? Big grouper?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 11-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #788
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Cool, what are you fishing for out there that require baits that size? Big grouper?
The baits are generally no bigger than 1 to 3lbs, but the Small Tunas are a favorite food of many species. It's kind of like using live squid in SoCal in that everything wants to eat them. The challenge is keeping them alive and presenting them to the right species without catching a less desirable Barracuda or worse yet, Shark. So far I have taken Wahoo, Sailfish, King Mackerel and Black Grouper on them. Lately, Barracuda is all I have been able to get with the tunas, but I did have something good hanging for 45 minutes on 40lb test before I got greedy tweeked the drag just a little too tight, breaking the wire leader Earlier this year a World record 97.8lb King Mackerel was taken on a Little Tunny in the same waters that are frequently fished by kayaks. Wouldn't it be sick if the next world record King Mackerel was taken off a kayak?

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 11-12-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #789
SoCalEDC

Quote:
The baits are generally no bigger than 1 to 3lbs, but the Small Tunas are a favorite food of many species. It's kind of like using live squid in SoCal in that everything wants to eat them. The challenge is keeping them alive and presenting them to the right species without catching a less desirable Barracuda or worse yet, Shark. So far I have taken Wahoo, Sailfish, King Mackerel and Black Grouper on them. Lately, Barracuda is all I have been able to get with the tunas, but I did have something good hanging for 45 minutes on 40lb test before I got greedy tweeked the drag just a little too tight, breaking the wire leader Earlier this year a World record 97.8lb King Mackerel was taken on a Little Tunny in the same waters that are frequently fished by kayaks. Wouldn't it be sick if the next world record King Mackerel was taken off a kayak?
Wow thats cool. I am so jealous of the south florida fishery
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 12-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #790
whereubinh

3d Printed Livewell

Thought i share this project of mine I've been working on for a bit over a month. This is my design of a Hobie style livewell. It has a self priming tube that will prime the pump when given some speed. I was able to water test it and it worked better than expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201202_171510.jpg (51.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 20201202_171754.jpg (36.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 20201212_103402.jpg (77.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20201212_110541.jpg (74.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20201212_110545.jpg (77.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20201212_110556.jpg (76.2 KB, 146 views)
whereubinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #791
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Thought i share this project of mine I've been working on for a bit over a month. This is my design of a Hobie style livewell. It has a self priming tube that will prime the pump when given some speed. I was able to water test it and it worked better than expected.
Interesting, what material did you use to make the livewell?
Old 12-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #792
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Looks like he 3D printed it.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #793
whereubinh

Quote:
Hey man,
I used carbon fiber additive PLA plastic.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #794
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Hey man,
I used carbon fiber additive PLA plastic.
Very cool. It looks like it was made in sections that you fused together. I would like to learn more about that type of fabrication. Was it done with a 3d printer, if so what type?
Old 12-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #795
whereubinh

Quote:
Very cool. It looks like it was made in sections that you fused together. I would like to learn more about that type of fabrication. Was it done with a 3d printer, if so what type?
Yes this was made in sections. The 3d printer i used was an ender 3 pro with a couple of upgrades for better quality prints. The sections were bonded using jb weld steel reinforce epoxy.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #796
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Yes this was made in sections. The 3d printer i used was an ender 3 pro with a couple of upgrades for better quality prints. The sections were bonded using jb weld steel reinforce epoxy.
Well done! Appreciate the info, and quick reply. Does the printer come with the software needed to make the design, if not what do you consider a good program for a beginner who wants to fab parts for his kayak? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #797
whereubinh

Quote:
Well done! Appreciate the info, and quick reply. Does the printer come with the software needed to make the design, if not what do you consider a good program for a beginner who wants to fab parts for his kayak? Thanks.
The printer does not come with any software. I personally use Solidworks to design and model my parts. This can take some time to learn as ita more of an engineering tool. I know alot of people that do you fusion 360 to cad for 3d printing as it is free and more user friendly. You should check that out.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #798
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
The printer does not come with any software. I personally use Solidworks to design and model my parts. This can take some time to learn as ita more of an engineering tool. I know alot of people that do you fusion 360 to cad for 3d printing as it is free and more user friendly. You should check that out.
Good to know, I am checking out Fusion 360 -- Thanks.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #799
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Solid works? Wow how did you swing a license? I pay almost $100k per seat for my engineers.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #800
tomahawk

Solidworks and ProE both used to be available in student versions to students. My son used the ProE version when he was in school. I think you meant $10K per seat (I did a web search and that is what I saw), still not for the casual user. I also read something that said Solidworks gives a free version to start ups.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas