Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #21
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlover View Post
paddle out then peddle to the spot so much better for fishing ....
This applies for structure fishing at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Its off season, why dont you go to OEX and rent a Peddle for 1/2 day they will hook you up with a good price to test. You can fish around the marina, go out to main channel and if there is wind see how it moves you around. If it is an Outback you borrow, dont be disappointed with the turning as just about everyone replaces it with the bigger rudder and you can turn on a dime. I have peddle for few years and what sold me is the ability to peddle and set up rigs while moving. Also eat, drink beer/water etc all on the move. Good luck
I was able to try a few boats out over the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
There is a reason that (almost) all the saltiest guys have a Hobie.
IDK if this is factual or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
I've only done a paddle kayak since 1998. My main kayak is a 2004 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16 before they made them heavy and wider. Probably the fastest paddling sit on top kayak. Still fishes great. As far as drift while fighting a fish or re-tying lines, I just straddle the kayak with my legs over the side like I sit on my surfboard. Slows down the drift and gives you stability.
right on, thanks for the info. Only your second post in 15 years, i feel honored, lol,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
This is not the first time this subject has been brought up on this site. Really what it comes down to are two thing and the rest is useless. If you have a FAT enough wallet and feel like you like being lazy, get a Hobie. If you want a bigger upper body workout and like exercise and your wallet is NOT THAT FAT, get a paddle kayak. If you have a Fat wallet and would like to get more exercise without going to a GYM and stare at someone else's BUTT, BUY ONE OF EACH. You are never going to get the answer without trying both YOURSELF.
haha, so let me get this clear, if i go with option number 1, do I get the gym butts as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Both have a time and place and depends on what style fishing you’re doing. For sliding through the kelp or dragging a bait a paddle is all time, for staring At the meter with a yo-yo in hand to deploy a peddle is unbeatable, moral of the story: blonde or brunette
Good Point, I guess I have nailed down pretty well through the responses here that the pros of a paddle yak designed for the ocean are: Speed, Launchability, Weight, Handling in big waves, Cost (maybe). While the pros of a peddle yak are: Ability to stay in a spot (ideal for structure fishing), convenience while fishing (one hand free for fishing), vertical jigging, etc.

Thanks everyone for your input!
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #22
summers in kuwait

I've had both over the years, paddle and pedal. From a Cobra Tandem, Tarpon 120, Revolution 13, PA 14, Thresher 155 and a Revolution 16 they each have pros and cons.

Personally, I've been very impressed with my Revolution 16. Its very fast with pedals, but also paddles pretty well considering bottom contour design. I also sail it with good success.

Its like shortboarding vs longboarding. There isn't a right or wrong, just a preference, based on what you do and want to achieve.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #23
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I've had both over the years, paddle and pedal. From a Cobra Tandem, Tarpon 120, Revolution 13, PA 14, Thresher 155 and a Revolution 16 they each have pros and cons.

Personally, I've been very impressed with my Revolution 16. Its very fast with pedals, but also paddles pretty well considering bottom contour design. I also sail it with good success.

Its like shortboarding vs longboarding. There isn't a right or wrong, just a preference, based on what you do and want to achieve.
I think the Revolution 16 has the highest pro's vs con's on my list. I have an Oasis which has a lot of the same but has a second seat, and I enjoy taking my buddies out fishing, have taken a buddy and my dog kayak camping and it still fishes the ocean pretty well.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #24
hobiefish
Junior

Most everything has already been said. I have owned a Hobie Outback since 2009 and love it. Wish it had the new Vantage seat but have modified it to work. Personally, back problems have caused me to do alot of changes and to even create a new project with a better seat and the ability to stand once in a while to extend my time on the water. I am keeping the Hobie but doing a combination paddle/electric motor Big Fish kayak. I just modified a nice bass fishing seat to help out. Some guys are never happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigFish.jpg (60.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg BFSeat.jpg (58.1 KB, 62 views)
hobiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #25
Flounder

I've owned one of each and ill take the peddle every time. I saved and worked my ass off for 4 months to get a PA12 and will not go back for saltwater period! I was caught by some high winds and tide one day and every time I paddled quickly enough to make headway against the conditions the kayak would plunge into the next wave. While this was going on watched a PA several hundred yards away on his ipad watching a movie or something cruise right by at a good clip. Went to Fastlane the next day and priced out and decided to take advantage of upcoming fred hall deal. I'll still paddle a kayak for whitewater/river spots but everything else I have found that if swell is too big change location, or go out of the harbors instead, or just stay in the bay.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote