Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Peak Halibut Season?

When are the peak months for Halibut fishing for near shore So Cal? I read stuff online and its all over the map. What would you say are the top 4 or 5 months?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
GTboosted

For me it's been the summer months.

It may have to do that I am out more often in summer so I get more bites in summer. So dont quote me on that.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

4 months I'd say April through July in shallower and in numbers
Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Kevin

My biggest halibut have come in the months of August and December.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

They are always out there lurking, right? They always eat, right?

For me, catching halibut has been pretty random and elusive. I know what I've read and I've tried all the sage advice I can find. But in the end, I can't really say that any of that has paralleled my own experience except by hopeful thinking.

I've caught big halibut in winter. I've had flurries of smaller halibut in the late summer. Many times I catch nothing, no matter how much I want a halibut and think they should love to be on my hook. Some years are better than others. My favorite fishing spots are always evolving. I have caught halibut in waist deep water and at 125'. I have caught halibut as an unexpected by-catch when I was targeting something else.

Sorry Pal, but I ain't got nuttin concrete, regular, or predictable to offer! There are many variables. Sometimes I catch my best fish when least expected. I'm always trying to improve my odds.

Butt hay! Please let me know when you get it all figured out!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-13-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Saba Slayer

May, June, and July

I just looked thru my photo gallery from the last 10 years and most of the photos of Halibut catches were from May, June, and July...there were some nice catches in the winter on the squid beds but for the most part all my big fish and the most numbers were in those three months...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I just looked thru my photo gallery from the last 10 years and most of the photos of Halibut catches were from May, June, and July...there were some nice catches in the winter on the squid beds but for the most part all my big fish and the most numbers were in those three months...
Now bro, when the grunion are running..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
GregAndrew

If I had to limit myself to 4 consecutive months to fish for Halibut they would be June thru Sept. Generally Oct thru May have been poor months for me, but that is changing with locating deep water Halibut areas. Presence of Squid can greatly improve your chances in any month it is around.

But a lot is going to hinge on what you a targeting specifically, and where you are targeting them. Are you looking for anything that is legal, or are you set on finding a trophy? Are you going to be fishing bays and protected areas, or open water? Which area of SoCal are you going to be fishing most? And just like Squid, where they were last year may not be where they are this year.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Well sounds like the chance is always there but never likely to happen...especially when you want it to. I have been fishing hard for the last year or two for a halibut and it wasnt until just last month I caught my first one by accident while fishing for rock cod up north.

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to see what mid May might have in store around Doheny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halibut.jpg (113.0 KB, 107 views)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Well sounds like the chance is always there but never likely to happen...especially when you want it to. I have been fishing hard for the last year or two for a halibut and it wasnt until just last month I caught my first one by accident while fishing for rock cod up north.

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to see what mid May might have in store around Doheny.
My first was also up north in Malibu, few inches over legal so not too big but as well, by catch while rock fishing in 160 feet of water.. trolling a double dropper on the bottom, 8 oz torpedo sinker, bottom hook had a plastic, and top hook had squid strip.. He bit the squid strip on the top hook.. Still one of the craziest by catches I've witnessed LOL

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote