Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
icelogger

Your thoughts on a Trinidad 14A

A fishing buddy offered to sell me his Trinidad 14A. I am currently in Muskie and Salmon territory and looking for a good reel that not only will catch muskie but YT and WSB when I get back to the west coast.

I don't know much about the Trinidad's only that they are high quality. Is the 14A too small of a reel for 50lb fish?

Are they great for casting?

Thanks.

Last edited by icelogger; 08-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
TJones

I have slew of Trinidad's

And am a big fan of shimano. I have one gold 14 ,which has seen the back of yak maybe a couple times. The primary differences from the next model up are the line intake and max drag. Of coarse weight and spool size or line capacity are less. I don't feel line capacity is an issue if using braid. The max drag with stock drags is sufficient for a kayak , but barely. Maybe 10 or 12 lbs . ? The other issue were being able to take line in quickly especially on a kayak which is bobbing up and down on water. Personally I think the 16 is better suited . The smaller feel of a 14 is good for kelp of maybe even halibut, but you would have have less margin of error on a good yellow.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
icelogger

Thanks TJones.

Those were my first thoughts on the reel. A little too small. I am currently looking for a muskie reel, and I will also be ocean kayak fishing for big tarpon this winter. I'm looking for a reel that can do both. I don't fish muskie often so I don't mind having an oversized reel. A good casting reel is a must though.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Mainline

I caught a 50lb bluefin on my trini 14 It took awhile but the reel held up with no problems. I also caught and released a striped marlin over 100lbs on it while fishing kelps on the nine, it almost spooled me twice but the reel held up.

I`d say if your targeting 10-30lb fish with the occasional 50lber your going to be real happy with the trinidad 14 but if your typical catch is 50lbs you might want to jump up to at least the 16 and i might need to move to minnesota!

very nice, versatile reel that cast great.
Mainline is offline   Reply With Quote