Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
blackcloud9
Kayaker

South LJ 6/4

Fished 5:30 am to 3 pm, launched from Big Rock area into thick fog. Was like a sauna out there until 8 am, strange - hot, foggy, steamy and "claustrophobic". Got all spun out in the fog, glad I had the GPS on hand.

Current was ripping from the north. Started fishing 105' off Horseshoe for a bonito on the iron, and the only macks were huge horses, they barely fit into the baittank. ops:

When the fog lifted, conditions looked great with tons of current and chop with birds working a few areas. Saw a boat with triple hookup, it was two yellowtail to 20#, and a cuda. Looked like lots of yellows feeding, wished I had bait. Slow trolled the huge macks around and got bit on one for some teethmarks, but dropped it.

Threw plastics and iron. One cast I got boiled on 10' from the rod tip - which was a yellow slamming the swimbait on 20 lb line, which was a fun tussle. Released the little fella to fight again. Caught a nice sand bass on the bottom, and, a couple more bonito.

Went inside and caught my first bait sized spanish mack at 11:30 .... :roll: which got stolen quickly. Battled a sea lion on a huge mack. Lots of chop out there, it was generally very "rough" and it got really windy from the south with some white caps. The fishfinder was lit up all day with fish. Very fishy.

Here is the little yellow that I released, I'd guess 10 pounds or so? It's early in the month, and LJ's looking good!

blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

nice job larry! PM was a blown out mess and I was about the only fool out there..a few bonito on plastic, and same story with the bait.. huge macks.. got picked up on 1 that seemed right, but the teethmarks said otherwise..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Afran
fishy

Shootz, nice nice on the plactic.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
T-Rex

Great pic of the YT in the water! Thanks for the report.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

how would an anchor system work out there in this type of current :?: Been thinkin about getting the system from hook1, but not if you experienced guys think it's a waste of $.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
SDdude

Larry,
Thanks for great photos from yesterday morning, but I'd really like to thank you for the very informative kayak fishing clinic at Dana Landing on Saturday. You (and Morgan and Ron) did an excellent job. I think I learned more about kayak fishing by listening to you (and asking a lot of "obscure" questions...) than I have in the previous 6 months. It was especially helpful to hear this info from a fellow Hobie Adventure owner. There are subtle differences to fishing on a pedal vs. paddle kayak, and I've been looking forward to getting some rigging ideas and fishing techniques from an experienced Big A owner.

It's guys like you that are willing to freely share your wealth of knowledge that help this sport grow and make it so darn much fun.

Sorry to have kept you from that burrito, hope it wasn't too cold.

--Raleigh
(the guy in the blue and yellow Hawaiian shirt that asked all the, uh, "obscure" questions)
SDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Raleigh - Appreciate the kind words, thanks. I really enjoy doing these Fastlane/Hobie kayak fishing clinics, and, helping others enjoy our sport. Lunch was kinda late :P but I love the crowd's collective enthusiasm for kayak fishing!

And I learned a bunch too ... pedal-kayak-fishing is really still evolving, and I believe still in the brain-storming stages with further revolutions to come from Hobie, and, all of us. :P

I noticed Roger caught a big seabass on Sunday Hope the clinic helped.

NMBrinkman - I've never fished from an anchored yak for a couple reasons - I would generalize that anchors could hinder both finding fish, and, battling fish.

Finding Fish - Slow trolling and covering lots of water is my style, and more fun. You couldn't pay me to anchor outside LJ in rough seas and swell with strong current. :shock: I have put a bungee cord into the kelp on calmer days though, usually to just chill on top of a huge area of bait in the kelp bed and catch and release bass.

Battling Fish - anchor lines probably cause as much heartbreak as sea lions and lobster traps combined. Imagine if you hooked THE BIG ONE with your anchor firmly wedged in the reef. Sounds like a challenge. :?

I have recently discovered the value of the "virtual anchor" - the handheld GPS. With a GPS and a Mirage pedal drive, you're all set!
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
Afran
fishy

I like the photos because it shows that yellows will hit a bait with red on it. I have a friend that swears yellows won't hit a red lead head. Thanks for the proof. It probably wasn't very picky.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote