Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
igotpron
Xcoastie

Active imaging 3n1 opinions?

Looking to add a active imaging to my lowrance carbon 7.

Anyone have a similar setup? How do you like the transducer? Got any setup recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
TJones

bump

Ran a thread a few days ago about mounting suggestions with no hits. I don’t have guardian transducer mounting plate on my Hobie, so installing a 3 in 1 is not gonna happen without damaging the sending unit. I am sticking with the Totalscan transducer. My current Hull is a 2017 PA 14. How much could I fetch for it used? Then bite the difference in cost so I can upgrade to a new hull. The down imaging / side imaging on the 3 in 1 is supposed to be improved enough to justify purchasing the 300$ transducer, but eating 1500$ or more so I can upgrade to new hull is kinda insane. Just so I can safely mount the 3 in 1? Not gonna happen at this time for me. For what we are doing, a carbon or newer model unit with a totalscan transducer is pretty efficient. I would love to mount this 3 in 1, but I don’t see it happening without being able to retract the transducer. At first, I though it was another new Hobie gimmick. But these features are actually cutting edge. Hope some of this information helps. Some good videos on YouTube from Russell Marine Products that I would highly recommend about the transducer differences and also the head unit differences.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
TJones

Bump

Ran a thread a few days ago about mounting suggestions with no hits. I don’t have a guardian transducer mounting plate on my Hobie, so installing a 3 in 1 is not gonna happen without damaging the sending unit. I am sticking with the Totalscan transducer. My current Hull is a 2017 PA 14. How much could I fetch for it used? Then bite the difference in cost so I can upgrade to a new hull. The down imaging / side imaging on the 3 in 1 is supposed to be improved enough to justify purchasing the 300$ transducer, but eating 1500$ or more so I can upgrade to new hull is kinda insane. Just so I can safely mount the 3 in 1? Not gonna happen at this time for me. For what we are doing, a carbon or newer model unit with a totalscan transducer is pretty efficient. I would love to mount this 3 in 1, but I don’t see it happening without being able to retract the transducer. At first, I though it was another new Hobie gimmick. But these features are actually cutting edge. Hope some of this information helps. Some good videos on YouTube from Russell Marine Products that I would highly recommend about the transducer differences and also the head unit differences.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

Active imaging 3n1 opinions?

I know it’s not ideal but you could rail mount the 3n1, install that berley pro cover for it or even mount it on the rear handle. See how you like the transducer And if it’s worth it. Then you could Upgrade to a used 2019. Don’t think you’ll take the hit your expecting. I’ve got a PA on order. Figured might as well utilize the guardian while I’m at it. My brain believes the more money I spend the more fish I’ll catch. Times usually the thing that’s limited and trying to make the most out of it on the water. Not sure if you were aware of some of these mountings so I searched for some pictures.

here’s the ram mounted option for the total scan. Then you could have 2 transducer at your disposal.

Last edited by igotpron; 06-08-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
TJones

Expecting the worse

Any idea what a fair price for a used PA 14 is going for? The bottom of the Kayak at the moment has barely any scratches at all. Half of its use has been out of harbors or boat ramps. Anyways, I have tried the Berleypro cover for a Totalscan transducer. Initially I did not think it was even gonna be necessary, but after I started seeing light scratches on the transducer, I installed the Berleypro cover. The first thing I noticed about the Berleypro mounting plate is that it actually changes the degree angle of the transducer and makes it sit even father away from the hull. This allows the transducer to protrude even more farther out. That is without the second shell of the cover even mounted. With the second half of the shell added, it is just way too much. The kayak is dragging even more on my flat trailer when loading and unloading. Within just a couple uses of the kayak, There is significant signs of wear on the BerleyPro cover. I could picture it wearing a complete hole through the cover with enough use. A product is supposed to make something better or improve it. I feel that the cover does not do this and uninstalled it. I would not recommend this particular product for my situation or model year of kayak.
As far as trying to utilize the newer transducer, I Know I will like the performance of it, but mounting it over the side will not work for me. I have tried this before on some of my other kayaks. On a Pro Angler, it probably will work fairly well off the back, but there is gonna be something significant that I will not like about it. Personally I think the Lowarnce Ready mounting plate has revolutionized kayak fishing. The mirage drive in its self has done that also, for that matter. I will probably stick with what I got right now. If your are utilizing any of the Gen 3 products with the total scan transducer, you probably have one of the most powerful combinations of fish finder at this price point. I actually liked the original gen 3, because it drew probably half the amps compared to a new unit. This may not be such a big thing on a boat, but on a kayak you will now need twice as big of a battery. Of course the new processor is probably 2-3 times faster than the first generation. So there are trade offs.
If you are going all out on a new boat with the top of line sonar equipment, I would highly recommend getting the Live unit with the 3 in 1. As you are probably well aware, they have some very good deals going on. You know what that means? Something bigger and better is shortly on its way. The is the nature of the beast. Personally I needed something for this season and Lowrance usually doesn't disappoint. Especially when paired up a no headaches mounting platform like the Hobie. Good luck with your decision. Hope this insight was helpful. Like I mentioned, check out Russell Marine products on Youtube. The video about the different transducers is pretty solid. Also the video about the head units. See you on the water. I apologize for the double posting above. I was on my iPad and it was doing its thing. LOL.

Last edited by TJones; 06-09-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
igotpron
Xcoastie

No problem. Thanks for the input. Found a deal on the active imaging transducer and ordered it. As far as my carbon units concerned. That’s staying. I’ve only used it a few times. And honestly unless I fall in love the next unit will not be a lowrance. I’ve had a string of bad units that lowrance has replaced or allowed me to upgrade to the next model but I just wanted a functioning unit out the gate. Elite 5hdi-elite 5hdi- hds7gen2 touch- and now the carbon. None of the units were dunked/dropped or misused. I believe I just kept getting refurbished units. The carbon seems much more responsive then my gen2. The touch screen had to warm up before I could use it. And it didn’t work well. Sometimes acceptable other times felt like sinking the unit. Unable to input any kind of data or change settings.

Sent you a pm TJ.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
I know it’s not ideal but you could rail mount the 3n1, install that berley pro cover for it or even mount it on the rear handle. See how you like the transducer And if it’s worth it. Then you could Upgrade to a used 2019. Don’t think you’ll take the hit your expecting. I’ve got a PA on order. Figured might as well utilize the guardian while I’m at it. My brain believes the more money I spend the more fish I’ll catch. Times usually the thing that’s limited and trying to make the most out of it on the water. Not sure if you were aware of some of these mountings so I searched for some pictures.

here’s the ram mounted option for the total scan. Then you could have 2 transducer at your disposal.

I would discourage you from mounting on the rear handle. Its a bad idea for many reasons. First of all, you will have turbulence and bubbles from your rudder and drive. This will adversely affect your imaging as you are moving. Also, on days with swell, your transducer will be lifting out of the water periodically as you pass over the crest of waves.

The "over the side" boom arm for the transducer would be 100x better in my opinion.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
igotpron
Xcoastie

10-4. I was passing on what I’ve seen online. I myself and awaiting the arrival of a new 2020 pro angler. Got the active imagining transducer and itching to hit the water.