Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
nickbojo04
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Knots you need to know:

1. clinch/improved clinch
2. dropper loop
3. reverse dropper loop
4. modified/reverse albright (tying braid to mono or flouro)
5. Palomar
6. spider hitch

these knots will cover just about any situation or tactic you will encounter in kayak fishing. If you want to target trophy fish such as yellowtail, you should be fishing 30-40# test or 50-65# braid. Fishing for calico bass or other smaller species you can get away with 15-20#.

Catch mackerel with a sibiki, use live mackerel for bait. That's pretty much all you need to know to get started!

Would you recommend catching them more or going to the bait barge and picking up bait from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickbojo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #22
Mr_Fixit

It depends on patience and time. Bait is usually available early and seem to go into hiding later. If you are up early and have the patience, catch it yourself. When I am YT fishing, I tend to catch myself. If Halibut fishing, I usually get the bait from the barge.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #23
hiramehunter

Find a buddy to go with. Preferably with someone who has more experience!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #24
nickbojo04
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
It depends on patience and time. Bait is usually available early and seem to go into hiding later. If you are up early and have the patience, catch it yourself. When I am YT fishing, I tend to catch myself. If Halibut fishing, I usually get the bait from the barge.

Thanks! Do you use the sabiki rig when your on your yak or do you go to like a bridge or pier? Also catching a halibut is a dream of mine, what kind of bait and rig do you like to use for them?

nickbojo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #25
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbojo04 View Post
Would you recommend catching them more or going to the bait barge and picking up bait from there?
Always catch your own if you can... off the yak. Here's a bonus hint... if you find lots of bait in an area, that's probably where the game fish are as well.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #26
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbojo04 View Post
I am still pretty new to kayak fishing and I mostly do bass fishing but i have been wanting to do some salt water fishing. I was wondering if anyone has so good tips or wisdom they can pass down to me?

Best advise I can give.................find a buddy, learn from each others mistakes and don't be shy, ask questions when you see others at the launch.

The only issue you might have when asking questions is that most kayakers will give you:

100 reasons to wear a pfd
11478 reasons to 'just make sure its with you'
6000 ways to tie a knot
40 ways to make bait
458 reasons to not buy a FF/GPS combo unit
349 reasons reasons why you don't need a vhf radio
809 different reasons to not worry about having a vhf radio if you have a smart phone
84 reasons to fish the NW corner
198 reasons why the kelp has disappeared in LJ

When I started kayaking I wasn't shy and always introduced myself to others. I learned a lot from others and to be honest, I am still learning. The group of guys that I fish with now always share fish dope, rigging techniques, etc and we always learn from each others mistakes.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote