Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
solo
Junior

water pump recommendation must pump through scupper holes

Does any one have recommendation for a water pump for the bait tanks that pumps water through the scupper holes instead of hanging a water pump over the side?
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Rob929

There is probably a hundred ways to do it.. Standard bilge pump might be able to be plumbed through scupper with pvc/ or clear vinyl tubing. Or you can
use an "aerator" style bilge pump. It will have an inlet tube pre-installed. If that doesn't fit through your scupper, modify it with the correct size pvc and fittings.

Last edited by Rob929; 10-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
BWE
Administrator

Tsunami 500 pump from Attwood. We've used them for a few years and they work great. It is also what Hobie uses on their tanks.
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
solo
Junior

Thank you,

I have the shimano bait tank thingy with the bilge pump and I wanted to convert it to use the vertical pump through the scrupper holes. I didnt think about it but I'll have to see if I can convert it to pump through the scupper holes if not I think I'll have to purchase the attwood 500
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Rob929

You might not be able to plumb a standard bilge pump through your scupper if your's is a submersible type.. my bad.

I have the tsunami 500 ($25 at walmart) Keep in mind with a vertical pump set up you will need some kind of check valve to prevent water from flowing back out of the pump if you plan on turning it off and on. Otherwise you will need to re-prime it everytime you turn it back on. I used a $5 pvc check valve with the spring tensioner removed.. See pics for example

check valve:

Check Valve and pump ready to mount to bucket:

Finished setup:

Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
solo
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob929 View Post
You might not be able to plumb a standard bilge pump through your scupper if your's is a submersible type.. my bad.

I have the tsunami 500 ($25 at walmart) Keep in mind with a vertical pump set up you will need some kind of check valve to prevent water from flowing back out of the pump if you plan on turning it off and on. Otherwise you will need to re-prime it everytime you turn it back on. I used a $5 pvc check valve with the spring tensioner removed.. See pics for example

check valve:

Check Valve and pump ready to mount to bucket:

Finished setup:

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I am looking for. Where did you buy the pvc check valve?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Home depot carries those. I use a ball valve above the pump to prevent backflow. I just have to remember to shut the valve before I turn off the pump to keep the system primed. My pump goes right into the scupper hole using a modified plug as seen in the foto.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote