Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
icelogger

PA 12 vs PA 14

I am back in the market to buy a new fishing rig. Kayak fishing in LJ last year got me hooked on kayak fishing.

I fished a Malibu x-factor all last year in San Diego and it was a good introductory boat. I want to upgrade and get the ultimate fishing kayak. The 2013 Pro Angler has my full attention at the moment.

I have seen the 2013 PA 12, but have not seen the PA 14 yet.

From your experience, what is the big difference between the 2013 PA 12 and 14? I read that there are some issues with the steering on the hobie forums. What do you guys think of the steering issue? is it that big of a deal or something you adapt to?

Any other issues you have with the Pro Angler?

I am looking for a boat that does it all. Fishing the atlantic and pacific oceans, lakes, rivers.

How does the PA 12 work out at LJ?

Is the 14 a beast to load and unload from a roof rack?

Any differences would be great.

Thanks
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Cattledog

I have a new PA 14. Its is very comfortable and surprisingly fast, but I couldn't imagine loading it on a roof rack. It is just too heavy and wide. Drop it once and you run the risk of destroying the boat too.

I see a trailer in your future, or a full size truck lol. I haul my PA14 in the back of a full size Tundra truck. It hangs way out the back with a red flag on the back.

One odd thing about the PA14 is that the large front storage container is not very water resistant. There are some simple mods you can do to address this problem.

You will also probably get some mixed opinions on the seaworthiness of the PA's. You sit up a little higher in a PA than in a more traditional kayak. At first, the PA seemed less stable to me because of the higher center of gravity, but I am getting used to it.

I had it out at the LJ kelp beds today, 7/27 - almost had a yard sale on the way back in!

Chris

Last edited by Cattledog; 07-28-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
CR Yaker

Nice, I see your up in Lake Superior country. Humm, being a MN native myself but a Costa Rica resident, I would suggest the AI for Lake Superior and the wild wind that could whip up at a whims notice. But then that cold water would make me want to sit high and dry in an Outback or PA. Best of both worlds, have one of each, an AI and a PA14. Also for heavier surf can always go with the AI, amas less. For Superior I would go for the PA 14 over the 12. Smaller fresh water lakes, the 12 would suffice. Get the 14, you know you want it.
As far as weight your going to need a trailer regardless with these kayaks, makes life much easier.
Mark
P.S. See a dealer down in Wisconsin has it for sale the PA 14 new for $2400 on Craigslist.

Last edited by CR Yaker; 07-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
RockyRaab

I'm in Utah and have a PA14. It does require nearly constant attention on the tiller handle to track straight. That's a result of its no-keel hull, I believe. It isn't a deal-breaker due to the many other virtues the boat has.

I'm 66 and I get it atop my Durango with very few problems. I installed a set of Hully rollers on the rear cargo bar and lift the bow onto them first.

Then simply lift the stern and push. Piece of cake. You never lift more than half the boat's weight this way. Fasten tiedown straps and bow/stern lines. Done. Straps and lines not yet attached but boat loaded:

Edit to add: Note the angle of the boat in the first photo. A shorter boat (a PA12) would be even steeper and thus more difficult to get to this point. Getting "me" out of that space is difficult enough with the long boat. It's a point to consider.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07-28-2013 at 06:39 AM.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Hopefully not thread jacking

I've been curious how many people have the PA14 and wish they had the PA12, and why? Plus vice versa.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
wbrewski

Love my PA14

I have had my 14 for about 3 years now and love it, I am 240 Lb and feel very safe in it, I have a Jeep Liberty limited where the tale gate lift up. I got a bed extender and some magnetic lights . I only have to lift it about 4 feet then push it in. I am going to San Diego bay Thuresday and can take a picture of my rig.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
RockyRaab

I bought my 14 about three months before they announced the new 12, so I didn't have to make the choice. If I had, I'd have still taken the 14.

It's the classic "tackle box syndrome" in that no matter how big the box seems when you buy it, it soon overflows.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I have the 12. With the space I have allotted for a vessel it was a no brainer. I also yak the bays solo often and the 12 seems more "manageable" with one person. That and I'm only 5'11" & 175lbs.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Nice, I see your up in Lake Superior country. Humm, being a MN native myself but a Costa Rica resident, I would suggest the AI for Lake Superior and the wild wind that could whip up at a whims notice. But then that cold water would make me want to sit high and dry in an Outback or PA. Best of both worlds, have one of each, an AI and a PA14. Also for heavier surf can always go with the AI, amas less. For Superior I would go for the PA 14 over the 12. Smaller fresh water lakes, the 12 would suffice. Get the 14, you know you want it.
As far as weight your going to need a trailer regardless with these kayaks, makes life much easier.
Mark
P.S. See a dealer down in Wisconsin has it for sale the PA 14 new for $2400 on Craigslist.
yeah I called that Wisconsin dealer the other day. It's an 2012 model and I'm looking for the 2013. Costa eh? I used to live in Turrialba while training for the US freestyle kayak team. Pura Vida!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
I'm in Utah and have a PA14. It does require nearly constant attention on the tiller handle to track straight. That's a result of its no-keel hull, I believe. It isn't a deal-breaker due to the many other virtues the boat has.

I'm 66 and I get it atop my Durango with very few problems. I installed a set of Hully rollers on the rear cargo bar and lift the bow onto them first.

Then simply lift the stern and push. Piece of cake. You never lift more than half the boat's weight this way. Fasten tiedown straps and bow/stern lines. Done.
Straps and lines not yet attached but boat loaded:

Edit to add: Note the angle of the boat in the first photo. A shorter boat (a PA12) would be even steeper and thus more difficult to get to this point. Getting "me" out of that space is difficult enough with the long boat. It's a point to consider.

Thanks for the pics. This style of loading and carrying the PA is what I had in mind. There are some good youtube videos how to load a PA like this. I have a mini van and used to load my x factor like this. Works like a champ.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
I have had my 14 for about 3 years now and love it, I am 240 Lb and feel very safe in it, I have a Jeep Liberty limited where the tale gate lift up. I got a bed extender and some magnetic lights . I only have to lift it about 4 feet then push it in. I am going to San Diego bay Thuresday and can take a picture of my rig.
That would be great to see some pics of the bed extender and lights. That's an option for me too having a mini van with no back seats.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

That seems like a rough and awkward solo lift getting the front of the yak that high up on the roof racks. Do you ever worry that the back end will slip out while loading and drop the front of the yak off the roof?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
That seems like a rough and awkward solo lift getting the front of the yak that high up on the roof racks. Do you ever worry that the back end will slip out while loading and drop the front of the yak off the roof?
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=Rhino

Similar problem.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
RobFish
Massive Member

Had a 14, now I have a 12.
The 14 is nice, obviously bigger, and just a tad more weight to move.
I have a toyhauler travel travel trailer and when I'd head up to the Sierras, I'd have to take my Stealth 9, as the 14 was just a tad too long to fit inside.
That was fine as my fishing in the Sierras is done on smaller lakes, and there is also no need for the livewell. The 12 fits with a tad of room to spare.
Both the 12 and 14 are stable as battleships, go plenty fast, and have a great layout.
I drive a F350 with the 6.75' bed, which is just about 8' with the gate down.
No issues lifting it in, and I've got an avg. build. 5'11 175#.
Biggest difference on the 14 is 2012's and older have the flat seat, which some folks like as you can sit sidesaddle. All 12's have the new Vantage seat.
No steering issues experienced by me.
It works fine in LJ.
Hope this helps you in your decision.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Had a 14, now I have a 12.
The 14 is nice, obviously bigger, and just a tad more weight to move.
I have a toyhauler travel travel trailer and when I'd head up to the Sierras, I'd have to take my Stealth 9, as the 14 was just a tad too long to fit inside.
That was fine as my fishing in the Sierras is done on smaller lakes, and there is also no need for the livewell. The 12 fits with a tad of room to spare.
Both the 12 and 14 are stable as battleships, go plenty fast, and have a great layout.
I drive a F350 with the 6.75' bed, which is just about 8' with the gate down.
No issues lifting it in, and I've got an avg. build. 5'11 175#.
Biggest difference on the 14 is 2012's and older have the flat seat, which some folks like as you can sit sidesaddle. All 12's have the new Vantage seat.
No steering issues experienced by me.
It works fine in LJ.
Hope this helps you in your decision.
Thanks Rob. It helps. I remember the last time I saw you at LJ, you were being towed way out to sea by a sea lion attached to your YT and another yaker was cruising along with you trying to shake that sea lion off your fish. Freaking hilarious!

How is the PA 12 for WSB and YT storage? I am in MN at the moment but I will be back to the west coast or another ocean someday. I am thinking big picture to justify the purchase..
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
RobFish
Massive Member

Hey there IL,
Glad to help amigo.
Yeah, that sealion sleigh ride was BS. Eric was my wingman that day. He did a great job trying to persuade Mr. Lion to let go of my YT, but to no avail.
I've got the entire ordeal on video, thanks to GoPro. I love my GoPro. CD!
How is the 12 for storage? Well if a picture is worth a thousand words...
Remember the weight limits...12 is 500# and the 14 is 600#.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (75.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Hey there IL,
Glad to help amigo.
Yeah, that sealion sleigh ride was BS. Eric was my wingman that day. He did a great job trying to persuade Mr. Lion to let go of my YT, but to no avail.
I've got the entire ordeal on video, thanks to GoPro. I love my GoPro. CD!
How is the 12 for storage? Well if a picture is worth a thousand words...
Remember the weight limits...12 is 500# and the 14 is 600#.
Haha...Nice haul! Where is that vid? I'd like to check that out.

So can you store a 3 YT haul under the PA 12 deck? Or did you have to store some of them on top of the deck. I am leaning towards the PA 12 if I can store a few big fish under the deck to avoid sun damage on those long days on the water.

Cheers