Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
wade

"Attack Of The Seal"

** No seals were harmed or harrassed in the making of this video**

(only Wade was, and I'm filing an official incident report with the California DFG tomorrow!)

Earmuffs for the children at 14 minutes!!!

Went out Sunday morning with my buddy Nåm, to see one of the nicest sunrises ever..
Squid was difficult to obtain (finally)..Hopefully its a sign we are back to the fin-baits.
(I was just ready to start collecting private donations for Outer Banks Tim to come clean out these cephalopods once and for all!.)
A longgggggg day, & no love Sunday..

&....

Since Sunday was so beautiful, I arose to the same alarm Monday, and we hit LJ again even harder & longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
Fifteen + hours on the water..Once again, the candy proved even harder to make. I barely scraped up four little ones.. I did my twenty passes around the commercial zone for bupkis..
Then in the afternoon I had enough of the pungent skunk stench permeating around me, and thought of the impending Red closure..
I ran into DH later on where we began an assault on the Rocks.
I had 2 things on my mind..The first was searching for my first Red. Mission accomplished! Thanks again Josh! The second goal was to locate, kill & eat a Sculpin for what one of his cousins did to me last winter in Dana Point.
(In 2009, I was lobstering out deep in Dana, and mistakenly scooped out the kelp from a trap and didn't notice a small Sculpin in the weeds while cleaning out my hoop nets. He hit the top of my right hand, and I had to paddle back in one handed, in excruciating pain.)
On my way in, you will notice quite some commotion in the video!?..
@ 14:30 seconds you will see the Pirate try and board my ship.
I was minding my own business filming "just" the beautiful sunset when the little bastard decided to jack me!!
The filthy thief of a seal (they all are) try and flip my kayak over!
Isnt it easier eating in the kelp for him? No. He feels the need to follow me out to 300+' in search of a free dinner..What nerve!
He saw my game clip on my side with five of the tastiest mini-treats destined for my dinner table. He was barking and screaming all around me pissed off because I took "his" game clip away! Then he tried to hop on my yak from both sides 3 times!!
He lost.
Wade 5 / Seal 0

"Waste Not, Taco Want!"..

F.U. SCULPIN!!!!!!

Last edited by wade; 12-14-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I had to cook the fish for the taco photo..
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Nic D

its only funny cause you didn't go over.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Ndavissd

Nice quiet zone

Ok, that was funny I can only imagine the rude awakening
Ndavissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Yeah I think I will be asking santa for a kill bag after seeing that.
BTW does anyone else carry a paint ball marker besides me?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Wade, your posts are always very entertaining. Glad no harm was done to you.
I am also glad you did not have a bat that some other lesser person may have used to whack this thing in the head. THAT would be soo wrong and illegal. Doing this would absolutely be wrong and would not feel good at all.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
driftwood

Fresh fish tacos. That is just wade too much to resist!!
Hey Yani, did you see this?

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

a bat really?

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.pdf

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Yeah I think I will be asking santa for a kill bag after seeing that.
BTW does anyone else carry a paint ball marker besides me?

I recently had an aggressive seal that figured out I was loaded with lobster candy and he was thinking about jumping in with me. Coke cans, fox whistle, banging on the side only agitated him. It was a bit freaky (night alone, loaded down). That dog followed me relentlessly for quite a while. I think the only thing that kept him from his assault was my sharp turns...and acting like a fool (I was by myself so it was okay). I'm now a proud owner of a paint ball pistol...Ariakon Combat Pistol 2.0
$115.00
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

"He's coming right for us!!!!!"

just wait until knothead or one of the other Alpha's catches you with a WSB or YT on deck...., you just may change your sea dog lov'in ways! From what I've seen/experienced with the alpha's, it's amazing that someone hasn't gotten injured....yet.

slingshots, paintballs, smacks up side the head with the paddle, have all proved pretty ineffective, or even get them more determined ....leaving the area, only fishing the iron and ignoring them seems to be the best, but sometimes it takes a while for them to loose interest.....kill a mack, stuff a dried habanero pepper (or two) down its stomach and feed the poor hungry dog, repeat if needed.

Be carful out there!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
j mo

Its the curse of the YT. You upset the balance of LJ by taking king seriola out of the line up.. Neptunes creatures are not happy!

Thats pretty crazy being mounted like that. I guess Its a matter of time before someone gets tossed.

My buddy was dry humped by a seal in Cardiff. He had a bag of lobsters and a halibut on him. He actually took out his dive knife and kicked backwards all the way in trying to fend it off. The seal followed him all the way in up to about 3 feet of water. If its food they really want its going to be tuff to stop.

Are you sure he was after your food? Could have been something large and white below that spooked him? He may have just been trying to get high and dry.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
"He's coming right for us!!!!!"
.....kill a mack, stuff a dried habanero pepper (or two) down its stomach and feed the poor hungry dog, repeat if needed.

Be carful out there!!
No tainted baits that's just as bad as a bat.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
Are you sure he was after your food? Could have been something large and white below that spooked him? He may have just been trying to get high and dry.....
I'm with you Josh, dusk is prime hunting time for the taxman. You think this is sketchy, wait till you see a soon to be released post from one of our fellow BWE brothers on his recent experience.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
100 percent positive he was after my game clip. he lunged at it several times.
additionally, there was more footage that wasnt captured too.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
lterrero
Leo

Come on Wade; so you kill the tiger & now you are afraid of the skin??
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

easy meals

It's good that you didn't give him your fish, they remember the easy marks/meals and always look for them for more!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
I'm with you Josh, dusk is prime hunting time for the taxman. You think this is sketchy, wait till you see a soon to be released post from one of our fellow BWE brothers on his recent experience.
Did someone bump into Pete the Shark?

He's been around so often I gave him a name.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
walrus

Is this unusal in La Jolla?

I thought it happened all the time, based on my limited experiences and all I catch is bait.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote