Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Jeremiah Thomas
Junior

C Bad 11-14

Headed out this am with my main wingman Morgan to try to see if we could scare up a few spotties. Normally we fish for big game but today we played it close to home. It was a perfect way to spend our morning.

Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  91.4 KB

We decided to do a couple drifts under the bridge and got a few nice bumps, but couldnt stick anything. The current was ripping though and we had a blast anyway!

Name:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  44.8 KB
Oh yeah just wanted to give everyone a big thanks for sending in their letters and fighting the good fight so that we can enjoy our amazing coastline in the future too!!!

Name:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  50.2 KB

JT
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeremiah Thomas; 11-14-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Jeremiah Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

NOW THAT IS THE TYPE OF POST I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF!!! Let the kids fish stop enviro-terrorism!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
T-Rex

Nice post! Looks like it was a great day on the water.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have been told that you have to buy a special permit, ($15 a day?) from the City of Carlsbad to launch a kayak in that lagoon. Is this true?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
steveooo

F'n post of the year!
I can't wait to get my little one out fishing
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
SGV Rookie

Kids fishing

I have some great photos of my two daughters just checking out the sights in Newport upper bay with fishing poles in hand. Maybe we can start up a kids gone fishing post for nothing but kids.

Nice pics by the way! Fishing with your kids is a good day, fish or no fish!
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
tptrench

lucky kids!

That report put the biggest smile on my face! What awesome parents you are for showing those kids such an awesome adventure. Way to go! TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Way to go guys...

That was where Clay had his first kayak fishing adventure...and now he's addicted...hopefully the boys will be too.

Keep it up, that first pic is a classic.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
j mo

Thanks for the posts! Jeremiah (JT) is 27 months and Morgan is almost 3. You guys have no idea how stoked these little guys are on fishing especially Kayak fishing. Gregg (aka) Quilted Germ has Morgan on a sweet snoopy pole set up and he can actually cast it! He also knows most of our local fish by name.

I’ve known Gregg for a long time, we cut our teeth learning how to spearfish between Cardiff Reef and Pipes when we were young. We also got into Kayak fishing together a few years ago too (not so young) and to think that these two little guys may not be able to enjoy our coastline as Gregg and did and still do is a sad, sad thought.

Anyway, just wanted to share some weekend stoke with you all and say thanks for fighting for these little anglers right to enjoy our coastline!

Best,

Josh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
NextBite

way to go

takeing the kids out is always a blast
Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Quilted Germ

Fun day on the water, no doubt. Nice pix. I'm glad you listened to me when I told you to turn your FF. I decided I need to get Morgan another Lightning McQueen rod so that he has one for the Hali Drift and one for throwing leadheads at the "breezers". We'll be back...
Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
Quilted Germ

BWE Kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGV Rookie View Post
Maybe we can start up a kids gone fishing post for nothing but kids.
Great idea...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
MalibuJohnny

Great Pix's

Love to see the family having a great time~!

Thanks for sharing~!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool first post, way to put the kids on the kayaks!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I have been told that you have to buy a special permit, ($15 a day?) from the City of Carlsbad to launch a kayak in that lagoon. Is this true?

Bob
Hi Bob,

There was a phone number posted on the sign at the launch spot "dog beach" that said "for permits call"... when I called it I got a young kid on the line that said "oh if your just taking the kids out dont worry about it"... I do know you can buy a calendar year permit for around $50. Definately worth a recon mission since your so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Cool first post, way to put the kids on the kayaks!
Thanks Holy Makerel, I figured he needed his own handle as this is the first of many kayak trips for my little guy.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
mwm

j mo, great pics. I've been talking to my daughter about going out, but she'll only do it in a bay. I'm in the Carlsbad area but never thought about fishing in this spot. did you guys launch at the Y?
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
twitchy

I live in the condos on the middle lagoon. You only have to have a permit if you go in the back lagoon where the jet skies and boats go. There is an alternative launch on the middle lagoon, between the 5 fwy and rail tracks, on Harbor Drive. You have to walk down a path down a little hill, so bring your wheels.

Not too be a Debbie downer, but it looks like you guys went into the front lagoon next to PCH. That is a clam farm, white sea bass hatchery and where they draw water for the power plant. If caught in there you will get a hefty fine. The middle lagoon is awesome for the kids no wake and no jet skis. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old and they have a blast. Inexpensive fun for the family.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

Awesome, Josh.

The beach shot is my favorite. Let's rig up a harness and go catch some bait . Bendo shots on the lightning rod, oh man, can't wait!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #19
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm View Post
j mo, great pics. I've been talking to my daughter about going out, but she'll only do it in a bay. I'm in the Carlsbad area but never thought about fishing in this spot. did you guys launch at the Y?
It was our first time there. We drove up the road east onTamarack and worked our way along the shore and found, "Dog Beach" wheels would be helpful as you have about 300yds to the sand. Placid as can be and one of the driest sessions ever. I met a couple other Kaykers who launched from there the following morning, seems like a good spot to put in. I was told smelt are WFO so nextime ill bring the sabiki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Not too be a Debbie downer, but it looks like you guys went into the front lagoon next to PCH. That is a clam farm, white sea bass hatchery and where they draw water for the power plant. If caught in there you will get a hefty fine. The middle lagoon is awesome for the kids .
Thanks for the heads up, curiosity got the best of us as we wanted to shoot the trestle w the outgoing tide. It's pretty awesome what they do over at aquaculture. But a hefty fine would spoil our morning pretty quick.

thx!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
twitchy

No problem. The fine would put a downer on the day.

I have tried to get live bait on the the Sabiki, but it is gets caught up in a lot of the eel grass. The best way that I have found if snagging them on a line with about 4 treble hooks about 6 inches apart. Take a loaf of white bread, for some reason the whole wheat doesn't work so well, wet is and toss it out. When you see the fish boiling on the bread you toss out you line a little past them and jerk your line through them and you will pick some up. You only need a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce weight on otherwise your line sinks to fast. Bring smaller live bait hooks because the smelt nose tears real easily.

Hope that helps. See you out there soon.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote