Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Dave k

Lights for transporting yak in truck bed

So I’ve to always hauled my yak on the roof of my car, but recently picked up a Tacoma. I’ll be using a bed extender to transport my Trident 15. I’ve got a red flag for the end, and know that I need to add lights to it as well for night/early morning driving.

Do you guys have any recommendations on lights to use for this? I was thinking of just rigging up some trailer lights for this but thought you guys might be aware of a system that came pre rigged for something like this.

Thanks in advance
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
TJones

bed extender

harbor freight . the magnetic trailer lights go on sale for about 20 $ .or if you can afford it , buy the high quality ones for about 40 or 50 $. cheap ones china , high end ones might be made here .the high end ones are kinda worth it . the cheap ones are like throw aways . you can really see difference in quality of workmanship when you open them up . when i had had my revo, i used the bed extender and lights . i secured the lights with tape so they would not go anywhere . i can snap a picture if need be .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave k View Post
So I’ve to always hauled my yak on the roof of my car, but recently picked up a Tacoma. I’ll be using a bed extender to transport my Trident 15. I’ve got a red flag for the end, and know that I need to add lights to it as well for night/early morning driving.

Do you guys have any recommendations on lights to use for this? I was thinking of just rigging up some trailer lights for this but thought you guys might be aware of a system that came pre rigged for something like this.

Thanks in advance
Which Tacoma, CHP bases overhang on wheel base, your gonna be between 11 and 12 feet of over hang past the tailights.
Good Luck, Sheriff's pulled me over and waited for a CHP Officer to arrive and educate me, no ticket but I sold the kayak and will change how I transport the new one. I have a T-100 with a 6 1/2 bed and longer wheelbase than the Tacoma. Looking forward to hearing others input with this much overhang?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...6&postcount=12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR
I got a ticket for my stealth 14 extending 8 feet past my tailights. I had on a big red flag, more than 12x12inches. I think I can get this ticket dismissed, what do y'all think.
Is your vehicle's wheelbase 145.45 inches or more? Based on the CVC that was quoted earlier in this thread the limit is 2/3 the length of your wheelbase and 96 inches (8ft) is 2/3 of 145.45 inches.

Last edited by Sdspeed; 02-03-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added previous post on topic/text
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Dave k

I've got the crew cab long bed. 6'ish bed with a 140" wheelbase. Based on that info I'll be in violation. Might have to go the Thule truck bed rack route...

Thanks for the heads up on that. Any other input?
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave k View Post
I've got the crew cab long bed. 6'ish bed with a 140" wheelbase. Based on that info I'll be in violation. Might have to go the Thule truck bed rack route...

Thanks for the heads up on that. Any other input?
the crazy part is everyday kayaks are getting moved that way for years and yet no-one seems to get bothered especially when it's obviously they/your doing it right with the extender,lights,flags, securing it etc. But only 1 ticket will ruin your day
Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Almost four years of running it in the bed with extender...way over my limit...I think...no lights just a flag.....

No one ever says a thing.

Been pulled over (unrelated) and not a word.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
45user

I have ford supercrew which has a short. I transport trident 15 with bed extender. I use flag am during day time and use harbor freight magnetic tow lights on the bed extender during low light
No trouble and no hassle yet last 2 years. Kayak extends out quite a bit
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Almost four years of running it in the bed with extender...way over my limit...I think...no lights just a flag.....

No one ever says a thing.

Been pulled over (unrelated) and not a word.

Yep. Never even been looked at funny. Flag only.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Yep. Never even been looked at funny. Flag only.
That's what Im talking about, did I piss off A Sheriff? Seems that more truck owners move their kayaks this way than don't. Anybody think law enforcement is stepping up enforcement of these issues that can create revenue?

If its secure and flagged,lite up etc. i really think the kayak's gonna get messed up if someone is on the phone and hits it at a light or stop sign.

And then what happens, even when something minor happens and the cops show up?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
Mongo Johnson

Humbly offered:

I've had a couple yaks in my bed with flags with no trouble for the last 2 years. But I've heard of night tickets and expect I'll get a set of lights soon. I've got the trailer plug on the truck.

I suppose it's better to not tempt CVC fate on an otherwise fun trip to/from the sea . . . and considering distracted drivers too . . . and in a bender, not having lights might be a liability issue.

But, I've not seen the need for a bed extender. The 13' Revo sits stable in the bed/tailgate with a bow line and 2nd line run through the rear scuppers. I don't over cinch the cam locks. I use 3" pool noodles under the boats so the rough Line-X bed liner doesn't scuff up the hulls. Seems to keep everything snugged and not slipping but not over stressed. (I might add a third line across the boats/tailgate on a long trip.)

California V C Section 24604 Lamp or Flag on Projections
Lamp or Flag on Projections

24604. Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear.

At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square.

Amended Sec. 18, Ch. 828, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Amended Sec. 28, Ch. 1035, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1, 2001.

V C Section 35410 Projections to the Rear

Projections to the Rear

35410. The load upon any motor vehicle alone or an independent load only upon a trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase of the vehicle carrying such load, except that the wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.

Rough calculations for an 2005 F250 crew cab wheelbase 156.2” = 13.2’

2/3 of 156.2” = 102.96” = 8’ 5” is the rough distance I can extend a projection (yak tail)
(156 X .66 = 102’)

Revo is 13’ 5”= 161”

Bed length 6’ 9” . . . bumper . . .

Roughly, 6 feet of yak is sticking out, so I suppose I'm OK with flag/lights rigged.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
Mongo Johnson

I'd welcome and links to a decent, durable light kit that I can put on the yak projection.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Raskal311

Two $5each bike light zipped zipped tied to the back of the yak.

Done deal.

I was going to wire up a harbor freight kit awhile back but since I would only need it once or twice a year i figured it wasn't worth the trouble.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
StinkyMatt

I forgot....

I did use a red glow stick for a while....until my kid stole it from me.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

lol i quoted! woohoo! kidding.

Update to my case. I beat it. Didn't have to pay a cent. I got a 2nd violation on the same ticket for following too closely to the car in front. (tail gating in car pool lane.) can't really call it tail gating when traffic was less than 20 mph....

Judge dismissed both charges.. It was day time and I had a flag. Night time I would've got into trouble being I didn't have any lights.

I pass by cops many times, only that one time I got pulled over... dude even pulled out one of those ruler wheels thing to measure. But I'm just happy I didn't have to pay anything. Would have been an expensive lobster trip....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Knock on linear polyethylene

I have been lucky, never looked at in 15 years of throwing kayaks in the bed. Most of the time without a red flag.

Good thing I did not catch a fish this time at LJ, it would have been riding in the passenger seat

Old 02-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

HOLY CRAP ICEMAN!!!

That can't be legal....?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
That can't be legal....?
What's not legal, I do always redflag a load like this.

8 kayaks about 700 pounds, there is a bed extender and I get redundant on my tie downs!............and I am a professional.

Last edited by Iceman; 02-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

so under 4 feet of hang no redflag or extra lighting needed.............check!

Owens River load

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
PescadorPete

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #20
johnnyblaze2009

Lights for transporting yak in truck bed

I'm actually considering finding a jetski trailer and modifying it. But I did put reflective tape on the bed extender...
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote