Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
batty1of3

5-20-10 Mission bay kayaking no yt in the bay

Decided i really didnt have time and was still too sick to hit la jolla today so i opted for a quick run to mission bay low tide was waay low and of course my shrimp pump is broken though nice guy gave e a couple from where he was pumping
headed out towards the tip of mariners basin and tried to drift a shrimp there and suddenly realized i left my drift chute at home :P

so i paddle/drifted in there for a bit no bites though i did see some nice lookin bat rays chillin in the sandy spots near the grass though they took off as soon as i moved to toss them some bait
headed arcorss the channel and tried to hit hospitality point near the lifeguard station dropshotting a gulp jerk bait i won at day at the docks no love

pulled up the ghost shrimp i was pulling behind me and had the oddest catch i've ever gotten

and here's the kicker it was fair hooked the hook and ghost shrimp were under the flap when i pulled it up it actually ate the ghost shrimp i saw a couple of legs sticking out CPRed the snail tried on the inside of the basin and had a couple of bites but no takers on the dropshot plus it was getting to be a pain staying away from the rocks gotto bring that drift chute next time

snailslayerrrr
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Coulda tried snail strips as bait
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Vikingj

Norrisia norrissii, AKA Norris' Top Shell. Fairly common scavenger on dead "meat". Has a very long proboscis to reach for scraps in cracks/crevices of reefs/tidepools. Not considered a Game fish!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
dfroggy54
Rolly

throw a baby tiny sculpin and you have my Lobster season lastyear..
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Hermit crabs often live in these kinds of shells. In some parts of the world they get pretty big. I caught this guy in the Caribbean a few years ago. The shell is a large conch nearly 12 inches in length. The crab living inside was the size of a small lobster.

Name:  Crab.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  66.2 KB

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote