Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
bugcatcher
Junior

Thumbs up just startn out (gear ?)

Been hoopin & bay fishin for several years. Now want to get into the YT WSB game. Question? Is there a spinning reel & rod combo you can suggest to fish surface irons. Maybe a user friendly traditional reel ? What Im gettin at is more time fishin less time bird nestin. Thanx
bugcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugcatcher View Post
Been hoopin & bay fishin for several years. Now want to get into the YT WSB game. Question? Is there a spinning reel & rod combo you can suggest to fish surface irons. Maybe a user friendly traditional reel ? What Im gettin at is more time fishin less time bird nestin. Thanx
This Forum is for Fish Reports
----------------------------------
There are only 2 ways that i know how to cast a surface iron from a convention reel without birds nesting the line.

1. Learn how to cast through good instruction, practice, and trial and error.

2. Buy an Avet Reel with Magic Cast.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

id go with number 1
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Three3Divine
Junior

look at getting a Diawa Sealine 40HA there really inexpensive you can pick one up from joey at squidco for a 105 bucks and there vary easy to cast, but like the guy said above just get some good instruction and go to the park or bay and just stand out there and practice casting and remember its a lob you dont have to wing it out there a mile! and keep your finger on the spool a little bit and you'll do just fine!

good luck out there and tight lines!!

Joey P.
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
danny
Danny

I use a spinning reel, just get the largest one they have at walmart under $40. I have good luck with it 2 YT so far this season and it has never had a bird nest. On the other hand I would rather fight a big fish on the avet or penn conventional reel.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Saltist 40SH paired with Seeker Ulua sealed deal. I have them at Turner's $50 dollars off the saltists. All models get em while i have em
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
batty1of3

Tennis ball screwdriver and a zip tie = easy 2 oz practice plug you can even cut a small slit in the ball to put lead into to add wieght if you want to practice with more weight
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1Rwwcmkzc

Watch the video above and listen very well to what Jim is saying about rolling the reel over while casting. It's a very easy thing to learn and believe me it will help you avoid the birds nests.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote