Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
OutdoorAdvntr

true or false, bright colored kayak attracts shark?

thanks!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

it comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
jorluivil

">

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Here is an excerpt from an article on sharks.org.

"Each shark species was found to have only a single rod photoreceptor that captured a single wavelength of light, and no shark had more than a single cone photoreceptor. In fact, in 10 of the 17 shark species they were unable to find any cones at all! This means that that these shark species have little or no ability to discriminate colors."

The experiment doesn't necessarily mean there are no sharks that can see color. If you read the article, it mentions something about shallow species detect redder light and deeper one's blue. What that means...hell I don't know. I side with wiredantz, wrong place at wrong time. Then again, right place if you're hankerin' to see the taxman

http://www.sharks.org/shark-science/...see-color.html
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
ctfphoto

As a poker player, I go with the odds.......

The odds are so low ... I don't even think about it.

I do have a red kayak and I have seen a white shark in the ocean.

My closest encounter however has been a grey whale ....
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorAdvntr View Post
thanks!
Nope!
No Way!!
Couldn't be true!!
Never happened!

That said I hear that facial hair attracts sharks:

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
"Each shark species was found to have only a single rod photoreceptor that captured a single wavelength of light, and no shark had more than a single cone photoreceptor. In fact, in 10 of the 17 shark species they were unable to find any cones at all!
I wrote a long post about this a while back: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=9359

Usually when this is discussed someone inevitably get's their panties in a wad. At the risk of bunching some underwear: I'm going to say the same things I've been saying for decades.

Mako and the Great whites are not like other sharks. They are endotherms (warm blooded) and specifically adapted to hunting large prey. Generally animals that aggressively hunt have better vision than those that scavenge, and from what I've read even though their eyes are not built like ours Makos and Whites do have very sophisticated vision and much of their hunting behavior is based on visual cues.

From my personal experience I'd say that sharks are attracted by bright colors not because they see them as we do, but because in some situations they create high contrast, and I know sharks definitely key in on contrast when hunting.

With my mako lures (I designed and made them for years) the lures that dived deep got bit best if they were bright colors (orange red yellow pink) because the sharks were seeing them from the side not from underneath them. Bright warm colors created the highest contrast to the darker colder spectrum blue water. With surface lures the dark colors like purple or black got bit the best because they contrasted most with the whitish light blue color of the sea surface.

Bright colors may not be as likely to trigger a deep hunting type of attack from a deep shark looking up at the surface, but they are far more likely to trigger investigative behavior or scavenging behavior where a shark that is already swimming near the surface comes up and chews on your yak, just to see if it's something edible.

Think about this a minute a shark looking up sees your yak against a whiteish light blue back ground of water and sky, but a shark that sees you from the side sees your yak against a greenish or dark blue background.

Ultimately this is all about visibility, what get's seen due to high contrast is the most likely thing to get attacked or probed for scavenge.

Just my take, but that is my take.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

if you want to catch a shark on the troll, put your dark colors up top and your brights down low...

for a kayak... its large, moving, and in the feeding zone. more than likely too big or odd for a shark to be interested in eating it, but why not taste it anyways?

people die in shark attacks but hardly get eaten. reason being is the shark is curious more than anything and knows its bigger and stronger than the person/yak so does what it wants.