Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Mobie Hobie
Junior

Hobie Pro Angler (14-15 knot Wind)

I am still getting acquainted with my 14. I saw the forecast for some wind so thought this would be a good time to check out how the 14 performs in wind. The flag was straight at bottom, there were small white caps just forming on sail bay at Mission Bay. Pedaling directly into the wind I noted that the bow wanted to fall off to either port or starboard. I lined myself up with a palm tree on shore out about 50 yards directly into the full on wind and used my turbo fins. Not much headway. You really have to work at it and if there had been a current at say 4 or 3 knots I would say your not going far before getting tired. Now same conditions and I put up the sail. Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Tacking into the wind you really cover some ground fast. I had a hysterical bend in mast, the kayak leaned over nicely but was very stable. Keeping in mind it is a kayak and not a sailboat it performed surprisingly well. If I had to go into an outgoing tide into 15 knot wind I could do it easily by tacking with sail up. Then I tried pedaling with turbo fins and using sail. This is where I pretty much maxed out on hull speed. You are going to get some spray over bow. Put your waterproof top on before you get wet not after like I did. lol...I got an hour of cardio workout in on water rather then in gym, and I got some time on the water on a gorgeous, breezy day! Basically I did a whole lot of nothing. And that is what us retired folks do! lol..
Mobie Hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
sounds like good practice!!! I bought a large wind paddle for my pa 14 but is it one way trip downwind ...but you can really go fast...almost too fast if it is really windy......it is perfect for the trip back as the wind is almost always blowing onshore...it folds up and fits in the front hatch...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
ctrujillo

Wind paddle? Any pics?
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Yes I have that one too.. a large-size Windpaddle "Cruiser" Sail. It's much fun during the windy days...

http://www.windpaddle.com
mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
HiLife619

That seems to be my next project for my PA 14 is getting a sail kit...Also I'm looking into putting some Hobie Island AMA on my PA 14...I like the idea of having trampolines on the side...I'm hoping I will get it done by this summer...
HiLife619 is offline   Reply With Quote