Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Johnp

L.J. 6/4 Lost Rod

Started making bait in front of the hotel in 30' of water, there was so much surface activity i decided to see what it was and started throwing home poured swimbaits. three juvenile wsb. and wide open calico's too many too count up to 4lbs. all released. Then caught a 6lb. bonie on my bass rod. while bringing one of the calico's in flyline rod takes off rippin' somehow tangles with stationary rod and begins to flip me. had to let go and watched in horror as my torium 16 and graphite heads west. Oh well another sacrifice. I hear on the radio two guy's talking "You're not fishing bass while y.t. are biting are you" So figuring i missed it i headed out with my last two baits in a 100' of water in front of the hotel pb'r tells me they have 5 aboard. Flylined a greenie and down to fishing my sabiki rig for the other with a small squider double hookup landed a pair of 12lb. twin y.t. Lots of fun but lamenting the rod loss. It's the first one and i hope not to repeat!
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
baerclaws

L.J. 6/4 Lost Rod

It sucks to loose gear. I've got a rusting Bass rod and reel just off the launch at Tidelands from 5 years ago. The cause was earling morning fumble fingers, I still can see it sinking out of reach.
Glad to hear you were at least getting lots of action. Thanks for reporting the thrill of victory and the agony...
baerclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
T-Rex

Great job on the fish!

Condolences about losing the rod & reel...Toriums are pretty sweet. I know how you feel...I lost my favorite medium duty Fenwick Salt Stick and Okuma reel a couple of months ago. At least it got me keeping my stuff a little more secure. ops: Gotta look at it as a good excuse to upgrade and buy new tackle!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
T-Rex

Great job on the fish!

Condolences about losing the rod & reel...Toriums are pretty sweet. I know how you feel...I lost my favorite medium duty Fenwick Salt Stick and Okuma reel a couple of months ago. At least it got me keeping my stuff a little more secure. ops: Gotta look at it as a good excuse to upgrade and buy new tackle!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
T-Rex

Great job on the fish!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

haha, that was me on the radio talking about fishing bass while the yt are out. Had to give a friend a hard time.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
Johnp

Tylerburden, you got me motivated to leave the area even though i was having so much fun letting the bass shred my plastics. I don't usually fish the calico's but it was a lot of fun on the light rod. Some beautiful fish came up, some with almost orange hues. As far as the rod goes i'm still not certain exactly what transpired but i was being flipped and would have lost a lot more if that happened. A buddy of mine keeps his tethered while fishing, and maybe that is the answer but did not like the idea of being attached and results in this scenario might have been worse if i was. I find solace in realizing all the $'s i am saving in fuel etc. The old jigmaster may come out for a trip or two.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Rick

Lost Rod

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My experience a few weeks ago might mitigate the pain. I hadn't been out in awhile and I flipped in front of the condo, losing 3 rods and 3 daiwa reels. The good news is that after buying new gear, I caught my first WSB (50lbs.) the next week. I hope you have the same good fortune.
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Johnp

Kinda helps to ease the pain, With a catch like that. Hey maybe that's what's on my runaway rod. ops: