Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Johnp

Dead Black Sea Bass!

Written up in the trib. this morning, a diver found it near the pier and reported it had a hook and some line broken off. Tribune listed it as an almost extinct fish and stated there is no evidence it was caught in the reserve. They list cause of death as trauma from the fight. Not the best time for this to hit the news.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

If it broke off??? Not sure how ya can blame someone for that.......but i doubt it died from the extended fight more likely due to the fact that it's swim bladder couldn't fart out the air quickly enough. Sad either way, but on a bright note those fish are thriving nowadays!! And generally speaking are fairly easy to release for your average kayak fisherman!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Written up in the trib. this morning, a diver found it near the pier and reported it had a hook and some line broken off. Tribune listed it as an almost extinct fish and stated there is no evidence it was caught in the reserve. They list cause of death as trauma from the fight. Not the best time for this to hit the news.
This is all speculation with added sensationalism designed to Sell Newspapers.

The truth is they don't know what really happened to the fish, so they take creative license and lie to make the story sound interesting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
prowlerdude

I agree with Billy V. The media sucks and if "green" sells they will push it. I wrapped my fish in the newspaper once.... Couldnt get the smell off the fish.
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
This is all speculation with added sensationalism designed to Sell Newspapers.

The truth is they don't know what really happened to the fish, so they take creative license and lie to make the story sound interesting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What was the lie?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Whizz Bang

This kind of yellow journalism is why their readership is dwindling and their sales are plummeting.

I think that maybe this fish died from coddling by enviros.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

I know that diver...

He's the dive-master who was at the last MLPA meeting saying that he's lost business due to the fact that there's no fish in the reserve anymore .

On a side note I saw a Black Seabass the other day choking on a blue shirt that said MPA'S work.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Dan

Before we go slamming the media (which is usually appropriate), let's review the article. I personally see nothing except reasonable conclusions drawn from the facts at hand.

Quote:
LA JOLLA — A diver from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla spotted a 125-pound black sea bass floating on the ocean's surface near Scripps Pier on Tuesday morning and made the discovery public yesterday.
Researchers recovered the fish and found a hook and fishing line attached to its mouth. They believe an angler accidentally caught the sea bass and released it, and that the trauma killed it.
Fishermen are required to release black sea bass, a protected species.
There's no evidence that this particular fish was caught within the La Jolla State Marine Conservation Area, according to Scripps, which is part of the University of California San Diego.
State officials allowed Scripps to keep the sea bass for its collection of marine vertebrates. A Scripps spokesman said acquisition of a local black sea bass is rare and offers scientists an opportunity to learn more about this once-plentiful resident of the La Jolla kelp forest.
It's really sad that the fish died. I hope that the Scripps scientists can learn something from the tragedy.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
pchen911

Yea, the article seems pretty neutral.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
prowlerdude

Why is a dead fish news? Protected spiecies die all the time. Im sure if there wasnt a hook in the fish it wouldnt have been printed.
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
then why continue to circulate it?

truth is, some fish that are released just don't survive, even the ones that swim off looking lively sometimes die.

and yes, black sea bass are still threatened. If we were to start taking them again they would disappear in a matter of minutes.

im sure the angler did the best they could to revive the animal,

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Gino

Theres more important thigns that take up newpaper space.

The very reason this was posted, however you read it biased or not, is baised.

Theres alot more important things to write about. This is directed at a specific crowd. we know that crowd.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Whizz Bang

Just so that we are all clear on the subject, CPR is not the preferred method for reviving a fish....right?
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
then why continue to circulate it?

truth is, some fish that are released just don't survive, even the ones that swim off looking lively sometimes die.

and yes, black sea bass are still threatened. If we were to start taking them again they would disappear in a matter of minutes.

im sure the angler did the best they could to revive the animal,
Why continue to circulate it? As a community fighting closures I think we should be aware. The Tribune is a liberally slanted paper that I will no longer subscribe to, but will read at work to read between the lines. Read their take on the seals in the childrens pool. (Everybody wants the seals except for a few neanderthals.) Although this IS mostly a neutral article ( I don't see that the reserve needed to be mentioned ) other than the fact that those knuckleheads speared one in the reserve in recent past history and I believe they are connecting a line between the two. The BSB should stay on the "No Take List" but are doing very well if the video of them in La Jolla I viewed is authentic. I think we all do our best to make sure these fish make it safely back home home. Why continue to circulate it? because it was also on the evening news and I think we need to be aware as a community defending our fishing grounds because you can bet the other side is certainly already to cite this case when they need it.