Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Dunegoat

fish finder recommendation wanted

Hey guys,

I'm new and was wondering if anyone could give me any input on fish finders. I have absolutely no idea what kind to get. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Randy
Dunegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
bigbarrels

Lowrance HDS-5 base model with fish n chip......I'm still figuring mine out but it is pretty amazing

Last edited by bigbarrels; 06-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Lowrance HDS-5 base model with fish n chip......I'm still figuring mine out but it is pretty amazing
Yeah this is the ultimate if you want to spend the $$$, you're looking at about a cool grand all said and done.

If you're not ready for that big of a leap, might I suggest:

Cuda 350/smap: Decent fishfinder for black and white, decent screen, good GPS capability, about $200.

Lowrance m68c/smap: Probably your best bang for the buck getting into color. Basically same thing as Cuda 350 but with color. About $300.

Lowrance Elite 5: One step under the HDS-5, about $550. If you are going all the way up to this level you should really consider the HDS-5 for a little more.

These are all GPS/FF combo units. If you want FF only you will save $100-$300 depending on the model.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
Yeah this is the ultimate if you want to spend the $$$, you're looking at about a cool grand all said and done.

If you're not ready for that big of a leap, might I suggest:

Cuda 350/smap: Decent fishfinder for black and white, decent screen, good GPS capability, about $200.

Lowrance m68c/smap: Probably your best bang for the buck getting into color. Basically same thing as Cuda 350 but with color. About $300.

Lowrance Elite 5: One step under the HDS-5, about $550. If you are going all the way up to this level you should really consider the HDS-5 for a little more.

These are all GPS/FF combo units. If you want FF only you will save $100-$300 depending on the model.
Thanks. I googled the HDS-5 and well, it wasn't exactly what I was looking to spend. Of course everybody wants top of the line equipment, but not everyone (myself included) can afford or really needs top of the line equipment. I'm going to look into the options you posted. Thank you for your response.

Randy
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
da22y

HB 597ci HD DI

I got HB 597ci HD DI Combo recently.
Happy with it so far, enjoyed the X-ray like down image when I switch from normal scan.

On board GPS is so good, I don't use my handheld gps anymore.
Plan to add the fishNchip this week.

On rare occasion , my HB will meter only 20+feet instead of 100+feet of actual depth , but after a while it will adjust back again.

Don't know if this is normal on other make/model....?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hummi...h-All+Products
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
I got HB 597ci HD DI Combo recently.
Happy with it so far, enjoyed the X-ray like down image when I switch from normal scan.

On board GPS is so good, I don't use my handheld gps anymore.
Plan to add the fishNchip this week.

On rare occasion , my HB will meter only 20+feet instead of 100+feet of actual depth , but after a while it will adjust back again.

Don't know if this is normal on other make/model....?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hummi...h-All+Products
It's probably a super noobish question, but what is the "fishNchip" you referred to in your post?

Thank you,

Randy
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
da22y

FishNChip

Since I do not have it yet, I am not qualified to explain how good it actually is.
Someone may like to shed some light here.

This is the website:
http://www.navionics.com/MarineFeatures_FishNChip.asp
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote