Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
BillzBaitz

Halibut and Tidelands

So I know you guys say halibut can be caught anywhere in the bay.. Anyone have any suggestions for the tidelands area.. I have some new plastics I want to try out.. Im pretty sure the spotties will eat them as they eat almost anything.. I want to see if I could get hali to eat them..

Any help is greatly appreciated..
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
todd one

Use large plastics. You'll catch fewer fish, but larger. I caught 7 halibut in the last three weeks, not one shorty. Check out the one I caught today. It's on the main feed.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Ggiannig89

Caught my only legal halibut just south of the bridge there. Use a heavy lead head to keep you near the bottom.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
JeffB

The flat south of the bridge and the areas around the bridge are good spots for halibut. Another good spot are the areas around the Marina entrances. The spot I've caught/ hooked the most was from the fishing pier(downtown side) to the loading port. That area is about 40' and stays pretty flat. I have found good action there.

Good luck to you if you go out.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
jbaker

For tidelands halibut I would start out fron of the Marriott hotel by the pier on an incoming tide. Drift toward the bridge. Just past the moored boats the channel edge is kinda stepped. The Hali's like to sit on the steps facing the tide. I usually drift backward and drag a c-rigged fluke on the bottom. Another good spot for me has always been on the backside of the first bridge pilling. Frozen anchovies on a c-rig with a red bead. I've seen and landed 28" Hali's 10' off the rocks back there. South of the bridge off the amfib base is a really good spot too. Fish with the tide so your bait is in there face and not coming up behind them. Good luck
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Kelp Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
Use large plastics. You'll catch fewer fish, but larger. I caught 7 halibut in the last three weeks, not one shorty. Check out the one I caught today. It's on the main feed.
Big bait..Big Fish
Kelp Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
MrPatrick

Don't forget to do a drop shot type of presentation. My best Butts have been in the dropshot set up.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
BillzBaitz

Thanks everyone for the info.. I know can make up some baits to try out.. I did make it out this past weekend, power outage really buts a damper on this past weekend..

I will start pouring up some 7inch jointed jerk and some 5inch fluke style baits. think next friday is going to be the earliest I can make the long drive thanks to work.
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote