Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
min-va

Spinnerbait for spotted - newport

Sorry for the long story~

Yesterday, i hooked my first spotted in newport using spinnerbait, it was awesome!!

Not like most of the people fishing spinnerbait start with freshwater bass, in fact, i never really fish freshwater, my first bass was a spotted in DP few years ago, so spinnerbait for me is really new, and look weird, and i never really have confidence in them

I have a daiwa spinnerbait in my tacklebox for always 2 years, never catch anything, i did use it, but always put it away after few casts....lol...finally yesterday i said to myself, i have to catch my first spotted using spinnerbait, after 30 mins of cast, i got a really good hit, but i lost it on the surface, then i fished for another hour, got another hit, but same thing, lost it after few cranks..

Since i had this spinnerbait for almost 2 years, i never really wash it, the hook is kind of rust, so i think that was the reason.

So now i have more confidence in spinnerbait, can you guys give me some ideas which spinnerbait i should get for saltwater? name a few please..
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Siebler

Its funny because I until a few years back never had any confidence in spinnerbaits for freshwater however they were my Go To in salt.

As for Brands, there are a lot but most Freshwater baits wont last long in saltwater.

Hate to do this shamless plug buuut...

I used to manufacture spinnerbaits specifically for Saltwater bass. Everything is as corrosion resistant as you can get, skirts are tied on so they wont rott off, etc. Anyways just getting restarted and will have them at OEX but if you are interested send me a PM and I will give you some special pricing. They arnt cheap but they are everything you could want form a spinnerbait for bay bass and you can make colors custom....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
rogersmith

cool CJ, I'll be checking in at the shop for those!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
roadx

do you have any heavier spinners in the 1-1/2oz range?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
taggermike

Over the last decade or so I've seen fresh water bass techniques successfully moving in to salt water bass fishing. I'm thinking drop shot, jerk bait, crank baits, verticle flipping, and deffinately spinner baits. I heard Capt. Ron Baker talk about spinner baits about 10 years ago but I didn't take it too seriously. I haven't fished fresh water much and have zero experience with spinner baits there. Some guys swear by them but after trying several different spinnerbaits over the last few years in different salt water locations I have caught exactly 2 spotted bass. 1 in SD bay and the other in Baja. I will say that when a nice spottie hits a spinner bait it is just crushing. I conclude that I am a poor spinner bait fisherman and not that spinnerbaits are poor baits. I'll keep fishing with them. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
do you have any heavier spinners in the 1-1/2oz range?
Biggest I do is 1oz. The 1oz bait probably is closer to an actual 1 1/4oz after you add paint, blades, etc. I know some folks judge weights like this...

If I can get a hold of the guy that made my molds is like to get them to 2oz but all the CNC guys are AWOL lately it seems.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
DESTROYER

Check out the Reebs Bolt Thrower. We will be releasing it on Feb 1. This spinnerbait is legit and you will love it. Almost completely weedless. I've been doing some prefishing with it before we release it and got 2 of my biggest spotties on it.

Name:  Bolt thrower 2.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  Bolt Thrower.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  62.0 KB
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
kobra

Hey Matty, what weights are going to be available? I could use a 1 1/2 and 2 ounce blade. Not looking for a hand out, just wondering if youse guys are making them that big.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Hey Matty, what weights are going to be available? I could use a 1 1/2 and 2 ounce blade. Not looking for a hand out, just wondering if youse guys are making them that big.
x2

of course i'll take handouts
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
eertkao
Steve-O.

hey guys, I don't mean to thread jack in any way but I wanted to know how you guys fish with the spinner baits?

Do you just cast and then crank it back to you steadily? or do you let it sink a little and then reel?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Nic D

Bob, the 1oz will be the first to come out then the 1.5 and don't worry, there will be plenty bolt throwers on the skiff.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
DESTROYER

EE- How you fish them depends on where and what depth you are fishing. For the most part because this is a heavier spinnerbait, I usually throw it out and slowly start reeling back. I change speed and sometimes do a pause to trigger a bite. It takes a little practice and you won't catch a ton of fish on it but you will hook up quality spotties.

I fish nothing less than 12lb test when fishing these. Hope this helps.

@Bob, Reebs just doubled his order cause OEX will be carrying them in Feb. Thanks Brent and CJ...They should sell well.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Iceman, will you be stoking these also?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Iceman, will you be stoking these also?

I better............I have always been a fan of the blade!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
eertkao
Steve-O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
EE- How you fish them depends on where and what depth you are fishing. For the most part because this is a heavier spinnerbait, I usually throw it out and slowly start reeling back. I change speed and sometimes do a pause to trigger a bite. It takes a little practice and you won't catch a ton of fish on it but you will hook up quality spotties.

I fish nothing less than 12lb test when fishing these. Hope this helps.

@Bob, Reebs just doubled his order cause OEX will be carrying them in Feb. Thanks Brent and CJ...They should sell well.
Got it. And can the spinner baits be fished without a worm/swimbait attached to the hook or is it a game changer? Thanks for the info!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
robmandel

Don't limit yourself to harbors. One of my favorite techniques is to get in close to shore and cast inside the surf line. You'd be amazed at the tight to shore bass. It's actually something I learned about on the islander m-ship trips.

They are fairly weedless too. Fish them on the drop, slow wind, stop and go, drag on bottom, etc

Though they rock in harbors too
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
Amish Ed

I've got to put in my .02 for my favorite. The Edge Hyspin. Turns almost any lead head into a spinner bait. I love the fact that they take up so much less room than the traditional blade when it comes to storage.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I've got to put in my .02 for my favorite. The Edge Hyspin. Turns almost any lead head into a spinner bait. I love the fact that they take up so much less room than the traditional blade when it comes to storage.
interesting how weedless are they?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Amish Ed

How weedless it is depends on the head used. Pretty much however weedless the head is with out the Hyspin will be how weedless it is with. Ball heads are best and triangle next best. Spear heads not so good. A nice feature is the fact that you barely have to pop it to get the blade to spin. I figure it's a combination of the blade shape and that it's a single blade.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
Bob, the 1oz will be the first to come out then the 1.5 and don't worry, there will be plenty bolt throwers on the skiff.

Right on Nic.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote