Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
fearnofish

Rancho Leonero again!

I am headed down to the "Ranch" July 9th through the 16th with my wife and wanted to ask your opinions on another Rod/Reel combination to take. We will be fishing from both Pangas and yaks. I have a specific goal to catch a decent Dorado and a large Rooster from the kayak. My current gear besides my light stuff is a Daiwa Saltist STT30TH reel mounted to a Seeker Black steel G970-7 20(25)30lb class rod. I also have a Curado 300DSV on a Shimano Teramar inshore series rod. Not the best arsenal but its a start. The clicker on the Saltist is a bit light for trolling a big bait and was hoping you had some suggestions on an addition or two to my gear. I am big on fishing lighter gear but do want to be sure I have a decent chance of landing a good fish. I will have my Shimano bait tank with me as well. Marlin are not me target although a sailfish or tuna would be a huge bonus!
We had a great time last year catching a ton of Roosters and Dorado from the Panga's mostly on bass gear. The wife caught a 65-70lb class rooster one day and I think my biggest dorado was maybe 25lbs.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Andrew
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
batty1of3

sorry the only thing that runs through my head is great fishing awaits at rancho leonero this week on fishing ventures with Ronnie Kovach
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Aaron

I love my Shimano TLD 15 but anything with a leverdrag would do. The shimano is cheap, light, and has lasted me a long time with normal maintenance. With a bigger and/or more energetic bait, once the bait is fully out, take the reel out of free spool and put the clicker on. Then back off the drag until the bait begins to take line (usually just out of free spool). The nice thing about the leverdrag is that you can "set it and forget it" with your drag, just put it in gear and go when a fish strikes.

BTW...Is it rude to ask what the vacation details are, mainly prices? Did you get a deal through anyone? My pops has been to Leonero twice...caught it good once and caught it bad once (post-hurricane). Its always been on my agenda. Thanks in advance
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
bubblehide

You might also consider a spinning outfit for surf fishing the Roosters.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
fearnofish

I was also thinking the Shimano TLD 15. It is certainly affordable. Any suggestions as to what rod to match it up with? I am really pretty green when it comes to salt water fishin. Just trying to be a sponge right now to absord as much info on equipment and techniques as possible. Not much salt here in AZ!

bubblehide, I think I have the spinning rod/reel covered. I didn't have much luck from shore last time but you can be sure I will be trying everyday!

Thanks
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote