Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Mammoth Lakes

I have a chance to work up in Mammoth next week and was looking for advice on fishing up there. Thought about taking the yak but that is a lot of drag for 6 hrs on my roof rack. Any suggestions on a economical guide for fly fishing? Thanks in advance!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Crowley or Hot Creek

Seeker, If you are looking for flyfishing ask the local shops if the perch fry on lake Crowley are being slammed yet? If the big trout are hitting the little fry in the shallows, the fishing can be killer stripping any type of a wolly bugger or big streamer. Get into McGee bay early and just pull a big ass streamer behind you. If you want some catch and relaease fly fishing, go to Hot Creek and have fun on all wild, big fish. think very small tippet here. Don't forget your shorts and some brews for a dip in the hot pools at the end of fishing. I do not know any guides, have a blast.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

When Crowley is going, the fishing is fun and the fish can be big. It is a big lake and if the wind comes up things can get iffy. Hot Creek has some really big trout but they get fished by the best and can be hard to catch. Convict is a perfect kayak lake. Troll or fly fish. Don't forget some the lakes in the June Lake loop.

If I were heading that way, I would take the yak.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Mammoth

Thanks for the reply... I think I will take the yak. My friend told me a bout convict lake too. Do you know if they have a quarantine period for yaks?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
ronh
Junior

I fished Hot Creek, the Upper Owens, and the East Walker by myself last fall. The guys at the Trout Fitter in Mammoth Lakes were very helpful and all the patterns / setups they recommended produced fish. Based on that, I would take a chance on their guide service. Don't know what their rates are, on the web site I guess.
Ron
ronh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Smile Convict Lake

This place is BEAUTIFUL! Holy smokes what a pretty lake. I really did not even care if I caught any fish. And the lake is deep too, surprising, 140'. It was so cool to be casting for the trout you can see while the cold snow melt (Yes it is still melting) is running into the lake and you can see the trout 5" deep next to the inlet. And to top it off a Bald Eagle was circling the lake. Very cool.. Did not get any trout but got some local tackle tips and am going back tomorrow. Then I think I am going to hit up Lake Mary next. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you are in to trolling, there is a type of spoon that works very well in the Mamonth area. I think it it is called a Thomas Bouyant. When nothing else works, that lure catches fish.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Convict Lake

Just bought lure today at the small Convict Lake Market. A local angler told me about that. Troll about 40-50 feet deep and just look for the mountain lions, eagles and maybe a bear to two and possibly you might go bendo as you enjoy the views. The market told me that they are really biting on garlic power bait so I got some of that and plan on bringing the wood to the trout tomorrow, I hope any way!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Lake Mary was good to me.

Two skunks at Convict but on Friday morning I went to Lake Mary Met Don in the Lake Mary tackle shop who hooked me up with some flies for trolling. I never heard of trolling flies, but I was open to anything. It was real windy in the morning, 1' waves! But I launched any way and boom! Just after launching on the west side about 30' deep got 3 X 2 lbs by 0830. Left there and went to the upper twin to check out the
water fall, very beautiful! Guys in the floattopia were doing well casting
towards the inlet with what looked like a float bubble and flies? I trolled
some flies, tried some lures and nothing. So, I went along the weedy side to
check out the other lakes. Kayaked under the bridge and down stream. Took a
break and went back to Lake Mary at 5 PM. Wind was calming down, trolled some
different flies (mostly gray with white spots or red belly) and at the same spot
again, nailed 2 more stockers made a u turn and zing! My drag was going out
like crazy. Let her run awhile and then tightened the drag this one wanted to
fight. Got it near the yak and it was jumping out of the water. Didn't bring
the net so I just kept reeling and pulled her into the yak and that fish was
bouncing all over the place, hoping not to get the fly hook into my leg, can't imagine what I would do with a huge YT in the yak jumping all over the place?
Couldn't believe my eyes. Nice fish at 3 lbs. Don at the market told me it was
a crook jaw/neck rainbow male and they are rare to catch at Lake Mary. If I
knew it was rare I would have released it but was too late now so it made a good
dinner at FS#2. Hope to get back to Mammoth next year with the family for a
vacation. I attached some pics of the small ones dangling in the water and I
ran into the Mother bear and her cubs!
Tight Lines!
Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 162.jpg (62.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 148.jpg (92.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 144.jpg (52.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 143.jpg (53.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 140.jpg (26.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 137.jpg (58.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 135.jpg (80.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 136.jpg (41.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Fish at FS#2.jpg (38.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Bears.JPG (42.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
FishFeeder
Junior

Wow, thanks for the pictures. with a setting like that, fishing does not require fish--but a nice bonus to find some.
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
old_rookie

Yeah really - who cares if you don't catch any when floating around in a setting like that. Plus, you really need to try to roll it when coming to shore
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Regor
Greg

Beautiful area and pics, and nice catch too!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
When Crowley is going, the fishing is fun and the fish can be big. It is a big lake and if the wind comes up things can get iffy. Hot Creek has some really big trout but they get fished by the best and can be hard to catch. Convict is a perfect kayak lake. Troll or fly fish. Don't forget some the lakes in the June Lake loop.

If I were heading that way, I would take the yak.

Bob
Bob, thaks for the advice on taking the yak! Thought I it would be too much to drag around but I really enjoyed it! Thanks to you I caught all of those fish (8) and enjoyed some great beauty that Mammoth has to offer! Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
ericko

I just saw your post , ive been up to mammoth 3 times this summer and have done well at twin lakes . I went horse back riding and saw those same bears mother and her three cubs we were up there the 21st threw the 24th...next time you or anybody else want to go hit me up ill take off from work and go. I love the place
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Fly Pic for Erico

Here is the fly that I caught the rainbow crook jaw at lake mary on the west side about 30' deep in front of the house that has a large stair case with wagon wheels, was trolling flies so about 100' back from that spot... Hope it works for ya too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0206.jpg (62.5 KB, 68 views)