Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Ramos23

Trolling for mackerel

Ramos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
pingpangdang

I caught a beast of a green back a few days ago trolling a big 160G flat fall tipped w/ squid. Measured 15"....it looked like a salami

I still enjoy even making bait...that salami I grilled later w/ rock salt for myself
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I caught a beast of a green back a few days ago trolling a big 160G flat fall tipped w/ squid. Measured 15"....it looked like a salami

I still enjoy even making bait...that salami I grilled later w/ rock salt for myself
Shhhh....don't let the haters hear about you eating mackerel. Many of our local fishermen are too good to eat anything but YT and BFT.

But, yeah, savage greenbacks will hit a Salas 6x that's nearly as big as they are. If only everything else bit that hard.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Shhhh....don't let the haters hear about you eating mackerel. Many of our local fishermen are too good to eat anything but YT and BFT.

But, yeah, savage greenbacks will hit a Salas 6x that's nearly as big as they are. If only everything else bit that hard.
I keep forgetting it's a sin to mackeral, until after I eat it.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
NICKWORN

Filipino Wife

My wife and her family always get my left over bait, i even try and grab a few on the way I for them.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post

My wife is Japanese and mackerel is their version of bacon and eggs for breakfast. Maybe that's why they live so long?

Pretty tasty grilled...i dip the meat into my homemade sauce mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, salt pepper and tabasco....of course with rice.

I have some japanese neighbors too that love them....somedays they tell me don't bring home anymore yellowtail but mackerel please

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
AngryTurtle
Junior

Lots of places Spanish Mackerel is a prime eating fish, but I have always heard about folks going after bigger ones. how big do they have to be to be worthwhile to eat?
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTurtle View Post
Lots of places Spanish Mackerel is a prime eating fish, but I have always heard about folks going after bigger ones. how big do they have to be to be worthwhile to eat?
I won't get into the misnomer too much of the name Spanish Mackerel because I've heard it called that for 45 years, but yeah, the "Spanish" is supposed to be one of the best sashimi going in town or anywhere.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #9
kirkdavis

Coming out of the closet

My Taiwanese wife also asks me to bring home the bait. If I don't have anything else to bring home I will troll the sabiki on the way in to get some macks so I don't come home empty handed. It is good fried with soy sauce, and fresh ginger is always good for "fishy" fish. Just like YT and others, they are better if you bleed them out when caught.
There....I feel better now that I have come out of the closet.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
sharjak

Saba
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTurtle View Post
They refer to them as aji in Japan....they actually sell them at the Japanese supermarkets up by convoy street.

They are popular in Japan for their bentos (lunch boxes). They butterfly them and put some type of flaky batter and fry them. Add some of the brown sauce they have and serve w/ rice....it's great.

Also in Japan some sushi go arounds have tanks w/ aji (spanish macks) swimming around.

You tell the chef which one you want he grabs a net and makes sushi before your eyes. They put the sushi on the plate along w/ the head and bones for presentation (the fish is still gulping).

They then take the head and bones to the back and deep fry. They salt it and it's like eating a crispy potato chip head to tail.

They usually serve aji w/ green onions on top w/ ponzu sauce (vinegar soy sauce mixture).

Also at festivals or near the beaches in the summer you'll find them sold on sticks w/ rock salt grilled up right in front of you. If done right you can eat the head and all.

I like them better than greenbacks. They have soft white meat that is not oily or fishy. Just pick away w/ chop sticks (using a fork will get you stressed out w/ the bones).
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
HAVABASS
Junior

Mackeral

The slightly larger version...Sierra Mackeral, when bled and fried, is almost like a baby Hoo.
HAVABASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Sierra mackerel/Spanish mackerel, same fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
Ramos23

mackerel

Hi!

I personally like grilled mackerel accompanied with a beautiful Portuguese green wine,

Best regards
Ramos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos23 View Post
Hi!

I personally like grilled mackerel accompanied with a beautiful Portuguese green wine,

Best regards
thanks for your video

and vinho verde is great for the table, I agree.

one of the worst parts of not living in europe is the lack of affordable table wine
Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #16
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post

They then take the head and bones to the back and deep fry. They salt it and it's like eating a crispy potato chip head to tail.

This is the tastiest shit you can imagine. I can barely enjoy the sashimi because I'm thinking bout dem crispy heads