Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
iethinker

What are these balls for...Yellowtail?

This is a Kayak Fishing Report from Solana Beach on 8/9/2015.

I launched from the Del Mar River mouth to mild surf at first-light. It was difficult finding bait in the immediate area so I headed north to a previous "hot bite area" to see if I would have any luck there.

I guess the bite was still on. Not only did I fill the live-well with the target species (GBMs) but I caught several Barracuda and three Calico Bass. One Bass being 19-inches and great fun on my small Shimano.

Calico Bass - 19-inches measured, photoed and released:

Since the tank was full (enough) it was time to head out to deeper waters. Seeking to explore more remote opportunities I made my way past a few kayakers on the outer kelp. The day continues to unfold in splendor as the east wind helps to push me but then subsides and gives way to glassy conditions.

Still Waters Run Deep:

Did I mention my Fish Finder craps-out at 330-ft? Well it does and it did again. Somewhere past 330-feet, I turned and made my way north for a few miles following the GPS's depth contour line and trolling a GBM.

After this long haul north, following the haul heading out and no bites to show I turned inland. Aafter passing a green buoy like one I passed on the way out (but further south) my reel goes off. It would be the first of three decent Yellowtail catches in fairly short order along my return route.

For measuring convenience, I have marked my paddle incrementally to 28-inches. Given these YTs were longer than that and because they were feisty in the yak, it was a bit tough to precisely measure them. I either gill-grabbed or lip-gripped them so they could be released...no gaff.

Yellowtail #1 - Probably 36-inches to the fork.

Yellowtail#2 - Probably 35-inches to the fork slightly fatter then #1.

Yellowtail#3 - Another 36-incher and fat:

All YTs were admired, photoed and released.

OH...and finally....does anyone know what these balls are for? There seems to be a line of them both Green and Orange coming up from Del Mar, through Solana and into Cardiff. They don't appear to be your garden variety crab-pot buoys.

Green Ball:

Enjoy...Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Theres a batch of those off DP on roughly the same contour too. My guess was crab. Back when fishin Laguna was legal those types of buoys out at that depth were crabbers. I stopped to talk to a guy pullin.

Oh and good report. 3 yellers is better than ridin the couch and cleaning the garage.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
YTHunter
Carlisle

Thanks! Fun to see the non-LJ reports.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
surfisher

The tail on the first YT is epic!! Very cool report, have you tried launching near Seaside at Table-Tops? It's ankle slappers and a perfect channel to the kelp. Only downside is 8$ parking (i think it may be more now but I always snag my buddies pass) to park at Seaside Reef.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
mpc

Cool. Bringing in the bass sounds like it was fun in of itself. Thanks for the report.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Ohiostreetz

Sounds like an awesome way to spend a Sunday myself I trolled around lj for hours to come back empty handed...
Ohiostreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
tsugg
LOWSPARK

MLPA

It looks like that area at seaside is in a MLPA?? Very fishy area. My dad and his buddies used to launch a 14' alum boat right there 50 years ago when we would spend the day ay the beach and kill it! All kinds of fish killed and eaten. That parking lot used to be a trailer park back in the day. Really great area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
The tail on the first YT is epic!! Very cool report, have you tried launching near Seaside at Table-Tops? It's ankle slappers and a perfect channel to the kelp. Only downside is 8$ parking (i think it may be more now but I always snag my buddies pass) to park at Seaside Reef.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
It looks like that area at seaside is in a MLPA?? Very fishy area. My dad and his buddies used to launch a 14' alum boat right there 50 years ago when we would spend the day ay the beach and kill it! All kinds of fish killed and eaten. That parking lot used to be a trailer park back in the day. Really great area.
I remember the trailer park from when I was a kid!! But the MLPA ends right at table tops reef. So all the kelp south from there is fair game! Boat pressure always seems to be minimal because it's a 16 mile mob from O'side and MB ...
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
finyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post

I launched from the Del Mar River mouth to mild surf at first-light. It was difficult finding bait in the immediate area so I headed north to a previous "hot bite area" to see if I would have any luck there.

I guess the bite was still on. Not only did I fill the live-well with the target species (GBMs) but I caught several Barracuda and three Calico Bass. One Bass being 19-inches and great fun on my small Shimano.

Since the tank was full (enough) it was time to head out to deeper waters. Seeking to explore more remote opportunities I made my way past a few kayakers on the outer kelp. The day continues to unfold in splendor as the east wind helps to push me but then subsides and gives way to glassy conditions.

Still Waters Run Deep:

Did I mention my Fish Finder craps-out at 330-ft? Well it does and it did again. Somewhere past 330-feet, I turned and made my way north for a few miles following the GPS's depth contour line and trolling a GBM.

After this long haul north, following the haul heading out and no bites to show I turned inland. Aafter passing a green buoy like one I passed on the way out (but further south) my reel goes off. It would be the first of three decent Yellowtail catches in fairly short order along my return route.

For measuring convenience, I have marked my paddle incrementally to 28-inches. Given these YTs were longer than that and because they were feisty in the yak, it was a bit tough to precisely measure them. I either gill-grabbed or lip-gripped them so they could be released...no gaff.

OH...and finally....does anyone know what these balls are for? There seems to be a line of them both Green and Orange coming up from Del Mar, through Solana and into Cardiff. They don't appear to be your garden variety crab-pot buoys.

Green Ball:

Enjoy...Matt
Do you mean San Dieguito river when you say Del Mar river? And where is table tops?
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
SmokinBass

Nice work and thanks for the awesome report. I to enjoy the non lj reports every once in a while. Just curious about the location, are you talking about dog beach in solana
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #11
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

how many yaks were out there? there used to be a group of 3-5 guys that would fish there regularly back in 2011-12. went out a couple times from Solano.

can be good when the lights turn on.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
iethinker

Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
I have never launched at Tabletops. Not that it seems like a bad place but I believe the parking there at the state beach is $15. I have not been surf-fishing enough to warrant the annual pass either. Also, the state beaches open at 6AM. I like to be on the water by then.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post

Still Waters Run Deep:

Green Ball:

Enjoy...Matt
Excellent post and I like the Keen Sandals.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #14
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Excellent post and I like the Keen Sandals.
I think that Keen should use this photo in one of their advertisements:

Tags
bass, calico, california, kayak fishing, yellowtail