Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
deltadelta
Junior

I have a hummingbird fish finder and the suction cup mount is designed for that transducer, however I believe they sell universal ones that may work for your transducer.
The one I have is called:Humminbird 7400901 MHX XNPT Portable Mounting Hardware Kit
deltadelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
acorad

Thanks guys, this has been super helpful.

Opened my eyes up!

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadelta View Post
I have a hummingbird fish finder and the suction cup mount is designed for that transducer, however I believe they sell universal ones that may work for your transducer.
The one I have is called:Humminbird 7400901 MHX XNPT Portable Mounting Hardware Kit
I also have a hummingbird suction cup mount but it won't work on my Malibu due to the texture of the hull. So I made a swing down arm to mount on the stern that will swing up out of the way if it hits anything. I'm going to try a scupper mount on my Garmin
Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Amish Ed

I've got mine on a Mad Frog Gear TDA which attaches to a Yak Attack Gear Trac. Super easy mounting it in the morning, and you do get used to dodging the worst of the debris on top. Drag isn't as bad as you would think either.

When I got my Trident I tried in-hull with Duct Seal. It worked, but I really missed having accurate temps and the much better signal you get with having the transducer in the water.

The best part of kayak fishing these days is the amount of options we have. Wasn't like that when I started in 2001. Our options were limited and for the most part were being invented as we tried things.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
acorad

Quote:
I tried in-hull with Duct Seal. It worked, but I really missed having accurate temps and the much better signal you get with having the transducer in the water.
This is where I get torn, the logic in me says a good in-hull mount (ducer in a water bath or 100% bubble-free adhesive) should have just as good a signal as an in-water ducer.

Theoretically the plastic hull it's shooting through should be a non-issue as all ducers are designed to shoot through plastic - heck, they're completely enclosed in plastic when they're made.

But then I hear real-life experiences like yours.

Andy
Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
This is where I get torn, the logic in me says a good in-hull mount (ducer in a water bath or 100% bubble-free adhesive) should have just as good a signal as an in-water ducer.

Theoretically the plastic hull it's shooting through should be a non-issue as all ducers are designed to shoot through plastic - heck, they're completely enclosed in plastic when they're made.

But then I hear real-life experiences like yours.

Andy

water temp is what you will miss with a thru hull. believe dsi is also compromised with a thru hull. probably not that big a deal unless you need the above 2 items.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
pbb

I've got a pre-lowrance-ready Revo, and I use a 1/2" pvc arm that mounts in the sail mount (so it's basically u shaped). I left one of the joints uncemented so I can swing it up and down.

I've thought about trying to make a mount on the rudder, but I hate it when I'm not paying attention and my line gets tangled in the rudder and I figure that will only make it worse.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
I've got a pre-lowrance-ready Revo, and I use a 1/2" pvc arm that mounts in the sail mount (so it's basically u shaped). I left one of the joints uncemented so I can swing it up and down.
Pretty clever. Where did you mount the head unit?

Andy