Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Sherm

LJ Sunday am

Met up with my wingman Spyder on the beach at about 4:10am. I was a little late and Jim was ready to go. I quickly unloaded and we launched the yaks in the dark. We watched the last set go by and in the yaks we went. We paddled hard and made it past the break zone. NOT!!! As I'm paddling toward the open water (in total darkness) I see the faint outline of a swell. OH SH$%!!!!!!!!!!!! Wave!! I yell to Jim as a nice size wave breaks over the front of the yak and slaps me in the chest. The next one was even worse. I've been doing this yak thing for a while now and this is the first time I have had a wave break all the way over the top of my head. The second time I've had one break over my head was the next wave. This one took off the head lamp and ball cap. Luckily they ended up right behind me and I got them back. I look over to see Jim who also got clobbered. The only problem is he wrenched his neck pretty good. We decided to keep going. After all it was just water and some pain for Jim. I knew he would sack up and keep going.

We made it out to the fishing area and started to make bait. I got a good hook up while it was still dark and I thought I had a big flattie on the other end of the line. Bummer...it turned out to be a bat ray instead. It started to get light and a friend on his boat came by and hooked me up with some bait. (big thanks Adi).

We started fishing and about 7am my bottom rig gets hammered. The fight is on and the sliegh ride begins. The fish started to run towards open water and I am horseing this fish as best I can. There are several dogs in the area and I wanted this one yakside before they got it. Suddenly I heard that terrible sound of a sea lion breaching close by for a gulp of air. I looked back and he was heading toward me very rapidly. I kept grinding on the fish and got him close enough to make a wild swing with the gaff. I caught the YT in the back towards the tail and swung him onboard just about the time old knot head passes under the yak. Kiss my ass you old fur bag!!! This one belongs to me.

I lit up a victory cigar and got back in the game. I had one more good knock down. But that was the only fish for the day. Jim turned out to be the bat ray king that day landing two big ones that pulled him around pretty good. Keep at it Jim...we'll get your first one soon.

Hit the beach around 10am and headed for home. It was a beautiful day on the water and the company wasn't bad either. Hope your neck feels better today Jimbo.

Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
GHOSTHUNTR

Way to go on the . That one is going to taste real good.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
aguachico

Good job. Waves, knothead. Sweet YT.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice . Sure beats the LONG paddle and wildlife tour I had.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Dan

way to upgrade the batty.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on!

We lost one to the dogs on Saturday.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Nice . Sure beats the LONG paddle and wildlife tour I had.

Lots of life I hear out there right now. Just outside paddle range I think. At least you made the effort to look around.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Yeah tyler how far and where did you pedal?
And what did you see?

Sorry sherm, for the mid-thread call-out.
Nice fish.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Yeah tyler how far and where did you pedal?
Dohhhh....
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

We paddled out about 8.5 miles. Aside from the onslaught of dolphins and whales, not much action. I did manage to get hit by a fin whale without flipping, so that made the trip worth it.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

My mistake. Didn't know you did that sort of thing anymore. Heh.

Quote:
I did manage to get hit by a fin whale without flipping, so that made the trip worth it.
Said like it's nothin'. Let's hear more of the whale. What were you doing harrassing those whales anyway? I was a little tense watching some blues pass in front of CaboJohn and me on Sat. I would have been waved off like a gnat.

Z
Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
madscientist

Nice one Sherm. I should have stayed there, butt he call of open ocean was too great. Watching Patrick get in touch with his inner Ahab was almost worth it though.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Nice one Sherm. I should have stayed there, butt he call of open ocean was too great. Watching Patrick get in touch with his inner Ahab was almost worth it though.

If I wasn't paddling such a barge I would have gone outside as well. Still wanting a local dodo from the yak. May have to get one the buds with a boat to haul me out. Glad you guys gave it a shot.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
esdees
The Good Clone

I apologize for the thread jack, but here's my story...

I was watching the two fin whales for a bit and they were slowly moving in a straight line, more or less south. I decided I wanted to get a picture and maybe a movie, so I got out my camera and approached them from the north. I stopped about 50' from where they last came up and had my camera ready to go, pointed where I expected them to come up next. Then a 4' diameter circle of water on the left side of my kayak erupted with little 1" fish.

"That's not good."

Before I could react I see what I now believe was the "chin" of one of the whales coming up from below the little fish and my kayak. It surfaced, lifted me up slightly and pushed me to the side. I think it must have seen me as it was coming up and tried to turn back down, just a little too late. I thought for sure I was going over, but I managed to drop my camera in the kayak and brace enough to keep upright. I'm not sure how... instincts I guess.

The other whale then surfaced right next to the first one, 10-15 feet from me. The top of that one's back was about four feet out of the water and I don't think that was even half of it.

I wish I had started taking a video right before that all started. I imagine it would have been pretty funny to watch now. For the rest of the day I kept seeing "whales" in the reflections of the clouds on the surface of the water. My heart skipped a beat every time.

Yet another amazing experience on the water.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Sherm

No apologies needed. I wanted to hear the story just as much.

When I was a teenager I came upon two grey whales humpin away off La Jolla. These whales were rolling over in tandem and I got some great shots with the camera. We figured they were humpin by the roll of carpet sized protrusion trying to enter the other whale. Anyway....I didn't pay attention to the drift and we got way to close. On one of the rolls by the whale we got smacked by its pectoral fin (fluke?) Came real close to capsizing us. Scared the shit out of my buddy and we had to go in because he was freaking out. What a wuss. Did make me a little nervous the rest of the way in though.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

A little over 8.5 miles off the tip of the pier. The water never turned blue. It was greenish all the way out, I guess last week it was better. About the only thing not mentioned was a couple encounters with Mako and blue sharks, feet up . No sign of the right kind.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Zed
BANNED

Sweet. Thanks, didn't mean to jack, either. I've seen video of Paparazzi gettin' B-slapped by celebs. Guess it takes all kinds.

Quote:
We figured they were humpin by the roll of carpet sized protrusion trying to enter the other whale. Anyway....
LOL. Daddy what are they doing?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Sherm

I had a big boil behind me on Sunday and thought it was a sea lion. Never saw any come up and thought the same thing. Maybe I should take my feet out of the water.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I had a great time with you and your wingman... Hope for a few more like it.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #20
lamb

Nice yella there Scott, good seeing ya!!!

I was out on my skiff on Sunday to team up with the gang on a deep blue water adventure. I stayed and fished LJ little longer, figured I can catch up with my 75 HP rather quick. I'm glad I did. baaaaah. I heard the fish were on the opposite end where the Greek guy in a white FnD was fishing...

I went about 15 miles out and worked the upper 9. I found lots of paddies but no fish.

Not to jack the thread, but it is something we all think about. Now is the time when "offshore" moves in as close as it gets. Sure it may be hard to resist. Just a few miles further out West, it looks and feels totally different. Birds, dolphins, whales.... Navy subs...

If you go, be smart. Pick a flat day with light wind. Have plenty of water, be ready - have all safety stuff, go with the group. Be smart, no one's ass is worth any fish.

Can be a ton of fun.

For the new blood - this time of the year, a few summers ago, 7.5 miles due W/NW from the launch on a paddy. We put the Minix on my skiff. See da Jewel in the background...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...hlight=exotica