Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
BenCantrell

Whitefish and rockfish from La Jolla on Sunday

Wrote up a blog post from Sunday's session. We caught about 10 ocean whitefish, 1 calico bass, 1 short sheephead, 3-4 kelp rockfish, 2-3 gopher rockfish, 1 calico rockfish, 1 rosy rockfish, 1 starry rockfish, 1 treefish, 1 flag rockfish, 1 honeycomb rockfish, and 2 longfin sanddabs.

http://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com/...h-brandon.html
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Revoguys

Great blog man! Sorry to hear about your Subaru that sucks. Looked like a fun day on the water tho! What were you using for bait while fishing the bottom?
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
buckygoesfishing
Junior

Awesome post man! I always enjoy reading the blog because it helps a noob like me identify what those fish look like since those pictures are super nice
buckygoesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
Salty

Great post! Love the pics and identification. Sucks about the Suby though. I had a '12 Outback that blew a head gasket at 80K miles... was a fun $4,000 repair out of warranty. Hope your clutch is much easier on the wallet!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Great post! Love the pics and identification. Sucks about the Suby though. I had a '12 Outback that blew a head gasket at 80K miles... was a fun $4,000 repair out of warranty. Hope your clutch is much easier on the wallet!
$2200 and counting for the clutch issues.

I still feel like they're good cars overall, but there have been several major issues with this one. The dealer swapped the entire engine at 60k.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
cris

Nice write up - sorry about the clutch.

I had to replace it on my 2014 Outback at 70k... broke down 15 miles outside Denver on I-70. My wallet still hurts...
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
C. Cary

I was out on Sunday as well. All I caught was Whitefish. Used squid and gulp grub. double dropper loop and carolina rig. fished 80' to 120'

Didn't catch any mackeral for bait.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Given the current fishing conditions, I plan to target bottom fish the next time I go out. The problem is that I always release fish that I do not plan to eat.

With that in mind, I would like to ask the question... are you able to effectively release most of these small fish, assuming that you want to?

I remember years ago fishing deep off LJ and having fish come up nearly exploded. I released most of them but I doubt that many survived.

Are there any guidelines about how to make sure a deep fish can returned home? I know that some people send them to the bottom lightly hooked and jerk them free at the appropriate time.

If someone has a tutorial to share on this subject, that would be welcome to me and probably others.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Given the current fishing conditions, I plan to target bottom fish the next time I go out. The problem is that I always release fish that I do not plan to eat.

With that in mind, I would like to ask the question... are you able to effectively release most of these small fish, assuming that you want to?

I remember years ago fishing deep off LJ and having fish come up nearly exploded. I released most of them but I doubt that many survived.

Are there any guidelines about how to make sure a deep fish can returned home? I know that some people send them to the bottom lightly hooked and jerk them free at the appropriate time.

If someone has a tutorial to share on this subject, that would be welcome to me and probably others.

Excellent question, and yes it is possible.

If the Fred Hall Show is not cancelled, there will be a booth there with experts on the subject, who can answer just about any question regarding barotrauma.

To extremely simplify, it is very possible to release fish successfully, the key is to minimize handling and return them to depth ASAP.

There are a number of methods which can do this, the best of which will all utilize weight to overcome the buoyant overinflated air bladder. By using weight to pull fish to deeper water, they are able to return to equilibrium and stay at depth, which is critical to their survival.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
BenCantrell

It's pretty easy to descend fish with a homemade descending device and a heavy sinker. Here's the one I made for when I fish deeper than the allowable depth for rockfish. A 1+ lb sinker will have no problem taking small to medium fish back down. Bigger fish would probably require 2+ lb sinkers.

With that said, I think you can tell some of the fish aren't going to make it no matter how gently you handle them or how quickly you send them back down.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
summers in kuwait

DIY Devices will work, as featured above.
The milk crate works well, but can be challenging on a kayak.

Also, you can request a free device here.

Consider donating to support this good organization.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
FISH11

I use a DIY set up as above using an old large jig head with the barb pinched closed a short line with swivel at the top and a snap clip at the bottom so I can change the weigh size depending on the size of the rock fish. I attach the upper swivel to any of my rod lines that have a snap clip to attach jigs or different leader normally. Holding the rock fish in my palm I put the jig head hook of the back of the gill plate going inside so the weight will pull the fish head first to the depths. Having the reel spool open and the rod in a rod holder or even under one of my legs. I put the weight in the water first and allow it to pull the fish out of my hand and down into the water. Once I think the weight has reached approx 50' or more I engage the reel and pull up fast on the rod to have the jig head come out of the gill plate and the fish is now free to head down the rest of the way down. Here is a Utube video from the Alaska Department of Fish and game showing the same basic procedure using a larger device. On a kayak I prefer the DIY hook or jig head, because it take almost no space and makes it easier to have with you at all times and utilize weights you provably already carry.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
Landlover
Junior

light over hand knot threw the lip of a fish send it down to depth and the a little tug to slide the knot apart
Landlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
deptrai

In Oregon, OCEAN provide these Shelton devices to us for free. They used to ship, but not sure they do anymore.

https://oceaned.org/request-devices/

Dave
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #15
matthew7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlover View Post
light over hand knot threw the lip of a fish send it down to depth and the a little tug to slide the knot apart

Do you have a picture? Not sure how to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
baileybikes

A single sided shoe-lace knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Do you have a picture? Not sure how to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Nice Variety!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote