Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
caddisx
caddisx

Good Recipes Wanted

I have two passions... one is fishing, I dream fishing on a nightly basis. I have pictures of me fishing when I am 2 years old... but with 2 under 4 years old and my job in education, it is often hard to find time. My other love is cooking, I love to cook. Looking into the freezer this morning for dinner tonight, I had a recipe in mind but I wondered what others go to recipes for fish are...

This is what I made tonight... do you have any you can share... Even a good taco recipe

My Seafood Gumbo
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil or butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 stalks celer, diced
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 2 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
  • 2oz wiskey (2 for gumbo, another 4oz for gumbo maker)
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 pounds of fish cut into cubes(halibut, sheephead, rockfish)
  • 1 pound andouille sausage
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound shrimp
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
Combine the oil and the flour in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. With a wooden spoon stir the mixture slowly and constantly. After about 5 minutes the mixture will begin to brown. Keep stirring and start drinking wiskey or beer… I prefer a good IPA. It should take about 15 minutes to fully develop a nice dark brown roux. When the roux is ready add the celery, onions and peppers and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Time for another drink. Once the vegetables have softened, add the bourbon and stir for 2 minutes, add chicken stock a little at a time to make sure the roux mixes well and is incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients, diced tomatoes, sausage, bay leaves, hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, skimming off any fat that rises to the surface and stirring occasionally. In the last 10 minutes, add fish,then shrimp (I’ll add crab when I can get it) and cook until no longer pink. Top with the fresh cilantro. Serve over rice.

Last edited by caddisx; 02-21-2013 at 09:32 PM.
caddisx is offline   Reply With Quote