Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Action needed.

The bill that could “close the coast’ - AB 3030 – is headed for an important committee vote this week.

TELL THE SENATE - OPPOSE AB 3030

The bill that could "close the coast" – AB 3030 – is headed for an important committee vote this Wednesday.

Don’t wait. Tell your Senator to oppose AB 3030 in its current form.

This proposed law directs the state to consider new marine protected areas in which recreational fishing may be banned. These arbitrary closures would significantly impact your ability to access your favorite fishing areas.

While every angler understands the importance of conservation, California’s existing laws have already achieved this goal – and more!

Please contact your Senator today and urge them to oppose AB 3030 as it currently stands.

1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 501, Alexandria, VA 22314
American Sportfishing Association © 2018 All rights reserved.

To ensure delivery of Keep America Fishing emails, please add info@keepamericafishing.org
and votervoice.net to your email address or Safe Senders List.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Mahigeer

I called the number and at 9:15, I heard the chair of the commity. He later listed the bills that were on the agenda.
I did NOT hear the AB3030 on the list. Did I miss it?
I did hear that there are more than 300 on call waiting. Not sure all related to AB 3030.
Well, I tried.
Can anybody figure out what happened?

Please post. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I saw an explanation on Sea Samurai instagram page.... the hearing will be continued next weds at 9am.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

CCA

This is from the CCA CAL facebook page and Wayne Kotow...

"So after a grueling 3.5 hours, the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee only got part way through the 9 items on their list. AB345 took up most of the meeting and it was a heated debate. We expect and need the same on AB3030. The next meeting is on Wed, Aug 12th. We need to come out in opposition and hopefully we can get the 5 votes needed to defeat this bill. It is possible and we need everyone to help us succeed. Thank you to everyone who hung in there today!!!! Special Thanks to Senator Brian Jones for his continued leadership and support. This bill should not even be on the list as it doesn't meet the Senate requirements as Covid, Homeless or Wildfires."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Mahigeer

I got this email yesterday:

THANK YOU FOR TAKING ACTION

California anglers are celebrating yesterday’s decision by the Senate Appropriations Committee not to advance Assembly Bill 3030. This is great news as AB 3030 poses a serious threat to recreational fishing access.

AB 3030 aims to protect 30 percent of California’s lands and waters by 2030 but never clearly stated what those protections would be, nor how they would be put into place. The unwillingness by the sponsors of the bill to clearly identify recreational fishing as a compatible use in conservation areas was problematic and ultimately forced the recreational fishing community to oppose the bill.

While there’s a slight chance the bill could still resurface in a different form before the legislative session ends on August 31, it is highly likely that the bill is dead for this year. Keep America Fishing will continue to monitor and engage on issues important to the American angler.

Thank you again for taking action. Your participation made a difference.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

CCA CAL perspective

Here is the CCA CAL perspective thru the eyes of board member Jim Hendricks...

"THANK YOU ALL!
If you haven't heard, the California Senate Appropriations Committee adjourned today without taking action on Assembly Bill 3030, placing the bill on hold in committee. As a result, it is highly unlikely that AB 3030 will move to the California Senate floor for a vote this year.
As a board member of Coastal Conservation Association of California and working member of its marketing and communications committee, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to everyone who read my many posts and calls to action regarding AB 3030. I am so grateful to those who took the time to visit ccacalifornia.org to send a Voter Voice note to their senators, signed the CCA CAL petition and contributed money to help defeat AB 3030. Your many passionate call-ins during the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee meeting in opposition to AB 3030 brought tears to my eyes.
Though AB 3030 has been placed on hold for this session, its sponsors will likely attempt to resurrect the bill. We hope next time that they will work with the sportfishing community in good faith to draft language that we all can accept.
To put this all in perspective, CCA CAL and the sportfishing community is not against conservation, biodiversity, or clean ecosystems. We need all of those elements for good fishing. CCA CAL agrees that climate change needs to be addressed along with issues of ocean acidification, and water and air pollution. We also believe in improving access to the water and fishing for under-served communities. But as our many hard-working team members explained to the sponsors, we don’t see how this bill addresses those issues.
I would be remiss if I did not also thank CCA CAL's tireless staff -- Executive Director Wayne Kotow and Assistant Director Chris Arechaederra -- as well as the entire board of directors of CCA CAL, including my good friend, President Bill Shedd.
Again, thanks so much for your support. And to learn more, please visit www.ccacalifornia.org."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
Salty

Awesome news! Seriously, thank you so much for keeping us all informed on this issue. Honestly, if I were not on this site, I likely would never have heard about it.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Glad to do it.