Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Murray

Twisted Braid

Notice braid was twisted for the first time today. Uni to Uni knot braid to fluro with 2/0 circle hook. Wondering if a ringed hook would help. Any ideas why it twisted and can it be untwisted.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
bolocop

use a swivel to your leader. I have let my braid out behind me with no hook while going at some speed and it'll untwist itself...
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Notice braid was twisted for the first time today. Uni to Uni knot braid to fluro with 2/0 circle hook. Wondering if a ringed hook would help. Any ideas why it twisted and can it be untwisted.
I just had this happen to me the last time I was trolling a Mack. He had a kelp mustache that I didn't notice for awhile and he was apparently just twirling along as I trolled. By the time I noticed it my line was all twisted with tension and curling back up itself.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
use a swivel to your leader. I have let my braid out behind me with no hook while going at some speed and it'll untwist itself...
Think most folks do not use swivel so they can reel leader onto spool.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
PescadorPete

SPRO #6 Power Swivel fits through the guides so you can wind your leader onto the spool.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
King Saba

Sounds like your braid is either getting old or it could be an inexpensive brand? I've bought cheaper braid in the past for my shore adventures and they're usually flat vs. having a round shape say compared to powerpro.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Gunner58

Like the others have said let a bunch of line out behind you or find some nice deep water and drop a weight with a swivel to the bottom that should un twist it
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I second the spro swivel. Eliminates line twists, super strong (I use 85lb), and I can reel it through the guides. I don't cast it however as I troll with a 4-6ft leader.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
FISH11

Sometimes I use a uni to uni knot and on other setups I use a swivel. I use about a 6 foot leader so I don't have a problem trying to reel it through the guides. To carry with hook on or with an iron still on, I wrap the leader around the reel and put the iron or hook on the first guide. I don't see a problem slow trolling live bait. If you troll too fast or with some lures than it's best to use a swivel.