Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Bcrossb
Banned

Little respect please

Last edited by Bcrossb; 02-27-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrossb View Post
I may be wrong, but having been around for 67 years, i think not. The terms so generously passed out , i.e. Noob, noobie, rookie, wanna be, not only demeans the person referred to, but low and behold, demeans the name caller as well. More appropriate descriptions might be, beginner, novice, student, inexperienced, or terms of that nature.
I think out job is to raise above this lowly behavior and welcome new persons to the sport. Not try to make them feel bad by way of making ones self feel more important. Just ask yourself, you were never new to the sport? Or perhaps someone abused you? That's likely the case.
Ask yourselves, who came first , the egg, the fish,or the fisherman?
A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
FISH11

Quote:
I may be wrong, but having been around for 67 years, i think not. The terms so generously passed out , i.e. Noob, noobie, rookie, wanna be, not only demeans the person referred to, but low and behold, demeans the name caller as well. More appropriate descriptions might be, beginner, novice, student, inexperienced, or terms of that nature.
I think out job is to raise above this lowly behavior and welcome new persons to the sport. Not try to make them feel bad by way of making ones self feel more important. Just ask yourself, you were never new to the sport? Or perhaps someone abused you? That's likely the case.
Ask yourselves, who came first , the egg, the fish,or the fisherman?
WELL SAID!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Raskal311

People of my generation ( Gen Y) view noob and noobie the same as beginner and novice. No offence taken when used.... Wana be different story.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Deamon

Or maybe take it all in and have some fun with it. Some just can't, I get it. Not everyone's going to buy-in with any "style" you bring to the table. If I jokingly jab you in the arm and you wince and cry about it, we probably go our own way. If you jab back and we BOTH laugh about it because we BOTH know we're just having some good fun, we'll probably fish together. Life's just too short. Fish with the guys you love to fish with. JMHO. Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Or maybe take it all in and have some fun with it. Some just can't, I get it. Not everyone's going to buy-in with any "style" you bring to the table. If I jokingly jab you in the arm and you wince and cry about it, we probably go our own way. If you jab back and we BOTH laugh about it because we BOTH know we're just having some good fun, we'll probably fish together. Life's just too short. Fish with the guys you love to fish with. JMHO. Jim

X2
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Cbad Mike

Quote:
It has nothing to do with who you fish with or not. It has to do with showing respect, lending a helping hand, being thoughtful, that lost art.
They say denial is the first defense, the guilty are often at the head of the line, or hanging out in the shadows, throwing stones.
I been fishing 60 years, canoes, rafts, kayaks, sail boats, fishing boats. I've launched in MB, SD bay numberious times, most of the lakes here abouts. LJ, 6 times. Beginner at that venue? Sure. Inexperienced? Sure. Mistake prone? Oh yea! Doing all that and being handicapped as well. Go figuare.
Sir, I mean no disrespect but possibly you need to grow some thicker skin and stop worrying if someone, including yourself, is called a noob, noobie, green, or whatever.
As a baseball fan for many years I never heard anyone complain about the word rookie.
You state that you're 67 years old yet have "junior" under your BWE name. Following your posted idea of political correctness, this could be construed as wrong and demeaning too.
The terms that you are offended by are not demeaning at all. They all describe someone who is new to anything including this sport who probably and most likely does not have the same skills yet as say a "seasoned" (I hope that word isn't offensive) participant.
Regardless of titles that are given, ninety nine percent of the people here lend a hand and give plenty of advice to each other both on this forum and on the water. I believe that this same bunch truly wants to see everyone succeed in this sport.
Based on your worries and feelings of a lack of respect about being called a noob or a rookie, and not having someone lend a hand, I have to ask, have you ever even fished with BWE guys???
Sir, in all honesty I think you will find the respect that you seek more easily by...
1. getting to the launch.
2. saying good morning to guys that you don't know.
3. asking them their names and telling them yours
4. shaking their hands.
5. falling off your kayak into water while trying to launch.

I think these five things would work better than sitting at your computer trying to erase the words noob and rookie from our vocabulary.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the water soon.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
erinoo

I love this time of year
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Hi Bob (bcrossb), not Mako: choosing to be offended or trying to correct/change behavior on the Internet is not a fun way to spend your retirement. It's like trying to stop an avalanche with your bare hands.

Maintain your standard and like-minded people will gravitate.

I would venture that in the short time you have participated on this forum, I think you have irritated more people with your posts and PMs than are offended by the word "newbie"; but ironically you don't seem to care as much about that.

Most people around here consider the word "newbie" like the word "pollywog".
The new guy gains some experience, they are no longer newbies.
The pollywog crosses the equator, they become shellbacks.
There is no derogatory intention, implied, directed, or taken. It's simply a reflection of fact.

Calm down. Read everything on this forum with a smile (it really makes a difference).
Most people on this forum are not here to argue, offend, preach, or create ruckus.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Cbad Mike
That's AGEIST!

My dad was the biggest noob. He lost more $$$ (3 trinidad/calstar rigs in just one shot, for instance) in gear than anyone I know when he was starting to kayakfish. He took some coaching on surf launches. It's not just a relentless pounding machine where you just attempt to paddle through when you are geared up and ready. It takes some study of sets (5-7min apart in CA) and how channels form, and how waves bounce off of bars and reefs. And look at him now, he's flown the coop. I'm so proud. sniff.

And for the record he's 22yrs older than I, and I still called him a n00b, because he was. It didn't mean I enjoyed seeing him get worked. I hated seeing it and did what I could to lessen the odds of it happening again. I'm sure 99% on here want to see you succeed getting through the surf w your hair dry.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
momo fish

Agree.. Was wondering when this "season" will start..

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
I love this time of year
Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Mr Fishback

My internet vocabulary might be out of date but i thought 'newb' = newbie, new guy (non-offensive). 'Noob' = one of questionable skill (putdown).
Old 02-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Lzseeker
Junior

As the nail gets hit right on the head.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
bwana

Dumbing Down of America

PC correctness is the liberal dumbing down of America.

It makes me want to puke.

Keep those participation trophies coming...

Feel free to call me anything you want, it doesn't bother me. I just consider the source. Although my friends call me Mike or Bwana. AM I gonna cry if someone I don't know calls me something else?

This website IS a phenomenal tool for learning our sport and rigging our equipment. I just don't get the need to walk on eggshells when talking among ourselves. That would take the fun out of it.

Better stay away from BD.

OH WAIT, I better go back and edit my posts so people can't read what I originally wrote. I have to protect my internet persona and all.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Ok....well, I am a bit *seasoned* as far as a fisherman goes, 50+. I've been fishing since I was 13. Far from being a Noob. But, I just started kayak fishing last year, fishing only MB so far in my kayak. So I am a Noob, in that respect.

And I am ok with admitting I am a Noob, and being called a Noob, until I learn enough to be renamed, ie.... 1/2 Noob'er or something like that. And for the most part, I think guys who call the new guys Noob, don't mean it in a demeaning way, more of a jab or a poke and all in good fun.

And on Deadliest Catch, they call the new guy *GreenHorn* the entire season. I think it helps build *thick skin* and a bit of character. The next season, they figure out a new name for him and life goes on.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Lzseeker
Junior

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob
Old 02-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Dannowar

Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Agree.. Was wondering when this "season" will start..
Already started in Gonzaga.
Bcrossb, Welcome sir. Seem we cannot send pm's to you, so let me invite you to join us in baja. lots of us are over 50, some as old as 75, myself am 66 going on 90. We all have fun and catch fish. Pm me or open a new post.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 02-26-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post

Lol
Is your name Bart?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #20
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Closed Thread