Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
madscientist

05/30 Back from baja

I'm sure Chris is going to do a nice write up so I'll just hit the highlights. Started catching a cold as soon as we headed down, put a bit of a damper on things for me. Drive down on Thursday was a breeze. At the camp spot the Baja demons began appearing...

...but none that could not be tamed. Day 1 was windy but a short PM run produced enough rockfish for grilled tacos and an ironman entry. Tomcod will eat anything.

Day 2 was overcast but calm. Not much happening other than bait until a 3 inch mini mac got picked up. Prepared for yet another rockfish or tomcod when the fish pulls drag. Three times I had it close and it took off. Finally got it to color and saw the beautiful flatness. No OTW shots since everyone else had gone in already.

Days 3 & 4 were sunny and windy. We tried to negotiate a panga ride for day 5 but only one of the two pangeros showed up so some others went as we were leaving that day anyway for Rosarito.

Tough fishing overall though the rockfish and tomcod were wide open. Fun trip but good to be back. Sounds like there is some action here so I think I'll show my face at work and head out for a PM run.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Dan

nice flat fish Brad. GOOD eats, especially baja style.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
kurt

Congrats again on the halibut. I caught tomcod on squid, irons, megabaits, fishtraps, and sabikis. A wide open tomcod bite is almost as exciting as a wide open sculpin bite, minus the adrenaline rush of trying to avoid getting poisoned. Caught some incidental rockfish and sand bass, as well.
Too bad the other panga didn't show. We could have had a competition on who could limit out in the least number of drops. Once we got on the spot, it was nice reds, whitefish, and lings on every drop. Most of the reds were 3-4lbs. PAL got about a 5lb whitefish. The lings were typical size. Good fun. Couldn't find the Humboldt Squid, which I'm kind of thankful for.
All in all, a good trip wide open on big laughs. The 1 3/4 hour border crossing wait at Tecate last night wasn't so funny.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Brad, I was telling Cris today, you would likely come back with a flatty and YT to put me back in my place........ Flatty and tomcod, I was close. Yet another species I did not think to add to the Ironman list. Glad you all made it home in one piece.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Great group of people, glad to meet a lot of faces, to screen names I have seen over the internet. NORCAL crew way cool, thanks again for the delicious tacos!! Saw the wounded SD sportie in bahia de Colonet...

Saw a couple guys surfing a wave in... You have to scroll left to right to really appreciate this pic... Not sure who it was...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
rastrev

As always, a good time, lots of rock fish and a few sandies for me, and a lot of laughs on shore. Froman let us in on some of the tricks of float tubing in Colonet. Great meeting everyone.

rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
scwafish

Us nortenos had a great time too. Thanks for the invite. Long story here...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb...33073#msg33073
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote